“Loved this hotel, wished we hadn't split our trip with the Lodge” 5 of 5 stars

Third Night Free
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lanai City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Buckhorn, Canada
“Loved this hotel, wished we hadn't split our trip with the Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We loved this hotel. We spent one night here on the golf package and then three at the Lodge at Keole. We wished we had stayed here for the four nights instead. The room was fantastic, roomy, large lanai with a great view of the bay and the bathroom was the best. We were there for our 11th Wedding anniversary and we were treated very well. We found the food at the restaurants fantastic and the prices were in line with what we paid on Maui. The Manele Challenge golf course views were to die for. Fantastic trip and would definately return in a second.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

1,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We wanted to get away from Honolulu traffic for a few days. The Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay provided the respite we sought. We had the fortune/misfortune of arriving with college FBS head football coaches, which meant the bus ride from the airport to the hotel was crowded and noisy. On arrival, we were sought out by a greeter who took care of us, that was special. The room was very large, including the bathroom, and the lanai was especially large and well apppointed. Although we had a garden-view room, the pools, streams and waterfalls provide background noise and a pleasant view. The staff was professional in almost all aspects. The resort amenities for guests were well-thought out and the different activities available for guests were more than adequate. The (very) small village was a pleasant diversion. The ability to use the sister-resort amenities was exceptional.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Had this been the Mariott I would have less to complain about. But this isn't the Mariott--it's the Four Seasons. I'm not paying $400/day for room and board--I'm paying $1000/day, and when I pay that kind of money, I expect a much, much higher standard. My "Poor" rating is based on how this property compared to other Four Seasons or hotels of similar class, including other Four Seasons properties in Hawaii.

I saw many things at Four Seasons Manele Bay that I have never seen at other Four Seasons--namely, rat droppings outside my room and an alarmingly apathetic and/or incompetent staff. One particularly memorable room service operator couldn't answer simple questions about menu items and told me the soup of the day was a "shrimp biscuit" (uh...that's "shrimp bisque", sweetie).

My biggest gripe about my experience is how little bang I got for my buck. $250 for an 80 minute massage for which the therapist was late and ended early? Included in that spa treatment was use of the spa facilities, which included a sauna and a eucalyptus steam room--I used neither since the sauna was colder than it was outdoors (I doubt it topped 85 degrees) and since the steam room smelled stale, without a drop of eucalyptus.

The other big problem with value was food and beverage quality. If I'm paying twice the price for something, I may not expect it to be twice as good, but I at least expect it to be significantly better than average. Almost nothing I ate or drank was better than what I would expect to find at a mid-range restaurant. The food quality was mediocre as was the preparation.

What did I like about the resort? The location was appealing. Some higher-end services that were offered (such as cabana set-ups and cool towel service by pool and beach attendants) were nice, when done well. I did meet staff members who were very good at what they did and lived up to the Four Seasons standard. Nonetheless, i would hesitate before staying at this resort again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
FSLanai, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear LeonasGho,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the island and our signature beach and poolside services, such as the cool oshibori towels and cabanas. Regarding your concerns with the spa and food & beverage quality, I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Our new executive chef recently started in June and has since revised and updated the menus for the culinary offerings. We hope you stay with us again, so that we may regain your trust. Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

George Tanzman
Resort Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

It was shocking how poor the service level was for a Four Seasons hotel. We encountered service problems throughout our stay. "NO" is not the first answer you should get from and hotel especially one with this caliber. The restaurants were extremely overpriced for the quality of food.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Lanai was our first stop on a two week trip. We thought it would be a great, quiet place to adjust our east coast time clocks, relax and get some sun. The island was perfect for relaxation. Do not go looking for night life - you will not find it. What you will find on Lanai are friendly people, good staff and a lovely hotel.

We travelled with our two children, 9 and 10, and had connecting garden ocean view rooms on the 4th floor in the Orchid wing. I really liked this building. I called prior to arrival and asked for rooms close to the center of the hotel lobby/pool area to make it easier for my kids to run back and forth from the pool. We were completely satisfied with our rooms. Definitely a full ocean view would be a treat at the hotel, but with two room and two kids who don't care about the view, we didn't feel the need. The rooms were large, the bathrooms were typical Four Seasons style and size with excellent products and the terraces were very large with comfy love seat and table/chairs set up.

The pool area was busy, but never overcrowded. We always found seats and were quickly attended to by pool staff. The beach was a short 2 minute walk down an easy path behind the pool and again staff was quick to set up umbrellas and chairs. To some other peoples' comments, there were some corporate meetings while we were there and the pool did take on the feel of a business get together as people congregated there later in the day, but only one time was it intrusive. One late afternoon a group of "frat guy" swearing loudmouths were annoying (acting like they were at a party pool in Vegas). If that had been the vibe all week, I'd have a very different impression, so maybe we got lucky. The beach was always mellow.

My one quibble was the food. For the prices they charge, I'd expect excellent food. I know, it's a Four Seasons and it's expensive, but the restaurant prices were crazy expensive and when the end product is mostly adequate, sometimes good, it feels like a huge disconnect. An exception - the fish tacos at the Ocean Grill were excellent. The drinks were great at the Ocean Grill bar, take advantage of happy hour for half price drinks - it looked like all the guests seemed to mosey by at 4pm.

To do's - Do go to Lanai City to Lanai City Grille. The food was excellent and the dining room was charming.
Do rent a car and travel out to see the far points of the island. We were stunned by the beauty of Garden of the Gods. We rented a car for 3 days, way too much! A one day rental would be fine.
Do go to the Lodge especially if you have kids. We spent a great afternoon playing croquet and enjoying the putting course.
Do walk up to see Sweetheart Rock and stop at the tide pools along the way. The walk is easy and my kids loved the pools and views (as did the adults).
Do hope you see the dolphins. They were in the bay most days spinning and flipping away.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

What a gorgeous Resort this is! Loved every minute and the view from our room was devine! The special treats for the children upon arrival and each night at turndown kept them very amused and made our eldest feel very special and very welcomed. All very enjoyable. My husband loved the Golf and we loved the Trilogy Whale Adventure- although we didn't see any until we went to Maui! But they did give us a wonderful trip , we saw many Dolphins and even a lazy Turtle that amused the whole group for sometime floating at the top of the Water. Will return for sure!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
canadian rockies
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Loved staying here. After a week at the Westin Villas this place was more relaxing. My husband, son & I went to the Manelle Golf course. Very good and great ocean views on all holes. I see why Bill Gates got marrieed here. Staff picked us up at the pier after an hour trip on Expeditions Ferry. Greated with nut leis. Great service. Spacious room with ocean view with 2 beds, chairs, desk and wonderful lanai complete with rattan furniture. Busy pool had lots of guests at a conference. I think your opinion of the hotel would be determined by what other functions were on at the time of your stay. Could be awful with alot of kids, if you were seeking quiet. Make dinner reservations early as the normal times to eat book up fast. Yes everything is expensive. At the beach: lounge chairs, towels, water provided. We had our own snorkel gear. Snorkelling was good. Large fish and schools. Visability hindered near shore with big waves stirring up the sand. Go to the far left from the resort along the lava shore.Guests said they did see spinner dolphins, we did not. Some undertow, be careful with kids or poor swimmers. Food good, excellent service. Extensive gardens throughout the property.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i at Manele Bay? Share your experiences!