“A Quaint and Quiet Getaway . . .” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Lanai
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   828 Lanai Avenue, Lanai City, Lanai, HI 96763   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Silver Spring, Maryland
“A Quaint and Quiet Getaway . . .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed with a friend in #7 (King, no balcony), a room where the windows look out over the front entryway. Even though the walls are thin (as many have said) and we were within feet of the restaurant, the noise level was not objectionable at all. This town goes to bed early! Anyway, the bed was great, the sparse furnishings are nice, Sara at the front desk is very helpful and friendly, and the breakfast is good enough to get me through to poke time! The hotel is just steps from the Dole Park square and all of the city shops and restaurants.

I'm a TV person, but you know what? I didn't miss it one bit. This place is so peaceful. It's great to enjoy the birds singing in the pines.

The only thing that I didn't like was the water pressure in the shower. It will switch from warm to HOT to FREEZING in the space of a few seconds. This is annoying, but that's a 1920s era building for you. It wouldn't cause me to look elsewhere. I hate those big resorts. They cost too much, and they force you into buying everything from a soda on up from them at inflated prices. I guess it's OK if you're there to golf, but otherwise? I'll take Hotel Lāna‘i anytime . . .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Placerville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

There is a sign over the employee entrance at the Hotel Lanai that reads "Whatever it Takes". On our recent visit to Lana'i, we had the pleasure of staying a few nights at Hotel Lanai where everyone at the hotel went out of their way to ensure our stay was top notch...they indeed did whatever it took to be sure we had a great time on the island.
We could not have been happier staying in the recently remodeled detached cottage, complete with wide screen TV, wifi, and a nice deck and patio for happy hour every afternoon.
The hotel has good connections with the various activities on the island- you can book jeep rental, golf, etc. through the hotel at attractive rates. Meals in the restaurant were excellent, the included breakfast featured some of the best granola we've ever had.
We highly recommend Hotel Lanai for a relaxing stay on a quiet, very hawaiian island.

Room Tip: try for the cottage, or one of the standard rooms with a porch.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Based on how I like to travel…. Hotel Lanai is as close as I want to get to camping. For me, Hotel Lanai is “glamping” at its best!

On February 19-22, I discovered this charming bed and breakfast getaway as a place where you literally can disconnect and decompress. Guest rooms have no TV. No phones. However, this is the 21st century -- there is wireless internet throughout the hotel. And I found that if I really needed to get my “Hawaii 5-0” fix or watch any other favorite TV shows, I can simply hop on a shuttle to the Four Seasons Lodge at Keole and watch it on their expansive 80 inch flat screen inside their beautifully decorated great room.

I was assigned guest room #2; a guest room offering clean and efficient facilities. As we entered the room through its front door it screamed…aloha! Plantation windows flood the room with cool breezes and calm natural lighting. Dark hardwood floors gave a warm contrast to the brilliant white wood paneled walls all the way up to the ceiling where a bamboo fan slowly rotated. Well-appointed island inspired natural wicker furnishings and a comfortable queen bed dressed in Hawaiian quilt bedding. Clean. Neat. And simply charming. Period. Guest room #2 featured a shared porch with guests in room#1. We experienced two sets of neighbors during our 3 night visit. Sometimes chatting over coffee in the morning or summarizing our day at sunset. Having the porch was not only an alternate to accessing our room but access to the comings-and- goings around the town square.

Needless to say, room number 2 was very convenient to all I needed at the hotel. Close enough where I stayed in my comfy warm pajamas. Yes, slippers- and-all when I assembled my plate of goodies from their daily continental breakfast buffet. It truly was the best continental set up I’ve seen in a B&B. May be it was how the morning sun lit the bountiful buffet or the aspiring outdoor views, or the charm of an historic venue that made it the best. But what ever it is….the freshly house made daily items from the mini quiche tarts to the cranberry scones to the warm banana bread which some days would be in muffin form or sliced from a loaf, were all absolutely yum-oh!

Now for the downside… because this is an older building (circa 1923) most rooms (not all) are smaller, meaning the bathrooms are very small and awkward. Its vintage construction lacked any noise abatement where you may hear the muffled sounds from neighboring rooms.

However, I had a great time at this hotel, leaving with fond memories thanks to everyone who works at the hotel. It is by far my perfect vintage tropical hideaway.

Room Tip: Guest Room #2 is the most convenient. But if you can reserve the cottage, it is worth the price diff...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Hotel Lanai was everything one could hope to experience in a Hawaiian vacation hotel stay short of being on the ocean. I've read the few negative reviews from years ago, but they were certainly not reflective of my experience. Then again, I did not stay in a standard room, rather I stayed in the detached cabin/cottage.

Our experience while checking in was pleasurable with friendly staff all too eager to find out what you planned to do, and see if they could assist in any way. Although everyone was great, I wanted to throw out a special thanks to Shanette who went above and beyond.
For example, aside from dining at their wonderful restaurant in the hotel one evening(great food/service), Shanette called around and found a restaurant serving our favorite fish that is indigenous in deep pacific Hawaiian waters, Opaca Paca.
Not only did she make reservations for us, but spoke to the chef and asked that he reserve two fillets for us, lest it run out prior to our dining time. The chef met us upon our arrival and suggested several preperation styles. Needless to say, it was because of Shanette's efforts on our behalf.
That is the type of service Hotel Lanai and their staff try to provide.

As to our cottage, it had it's own private entrance with a detached outside deck with table, chairs and hammock. You have a covered deck/porch with a bench seat for disrobing out of beachwear and such. Once inside you enter the living room that has a nice couch with table, and a large flat screen TV. Trust me though, being on Lanai you do not need a TV for entertainment, but to each their own.
The bathroom is nicely appointed with a shower/tub combo. The bedroom is a separate room with a nice comfortable bed. The suite has WiFi that reaches into both rooms and outside on the deck.

We had a wonderful time on Lanai, and it was certainly in part due to our lovely stay at Hotel Lanai.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'll address the noise first, people next door or in the hallway can be heard, but when the other guests retire for the evening, it is a very quiet place. I did use my earplugs for a while the night I went to sleep early. Noise will travel with a historic building, but I feel any noise outweighs the personality of a small, charming inn.
It is a beautifully, restored 1920's plantation inn with plenty of character and beautiful Mike Carrol art. The benefits to staying at Hotel Lanai are the awesome staff and the feel that comes with not staying at a large hotel. Sarah and Jolee especially made us feel welcome.
Our WiFi connection worked fine. Most people have cell phones and no longer need hotel phones in their room. I can't imagine needing a TV on holiday, but for those who do, they should stay elsewhere. There were many nice touches: in the closet there was a refrigerator, a cooler and an umbrella.I prefer a place to stay that has good cross ventilation and a ceiling fan instead of A/C. Lanai City was cooler than the beach area at Manele Bay which was about twenty minutes away by shuttle. Our room, #10 had a good sized dresser, a large closet, and two bed side tables.
The shuttle ran every half hour and was a reasonable cost for the many times we took it during our four day stay. It was convenient to be in town and easy to take our snorkeling gear to the beach at Manele Bay or to go for a hike near either of the Four Seasons Hotels.
We ate in the wonderful, on site restaurant, Lanai City Grill twice which I will review separately as well as other places in town.
The continental breakfast was perfect for us. We don't usually eat a big bacon and eggs style meal before going to the beach or hiking. The buffet table was always replenished throughout the morning. There were always two kinds of pastries and some mini quiches, but the highlight in my opinion was the homemade granola. Fresh cut up fruit, a selection of teas and both regular and decaf brewed coffee were included. The orange juice was delicious.
The bathroom was small, but sufficient with a shower only. The bed, although not as firm as we usually sleep on, was very comfortable. The large windows had rattan blinds that provided privacy or could be opened for a view of the large pine trees and Dole Square.
From our first correspondence via email and phone to our last warm good bye from Sarah, our stay was very pleasant, personal and the right choice for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #10. It was quieter than some of the others and we enjoyed having the lanai (porc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently visited Lana'i with my Hospitality class from Heald College, we were lucky to have experienced the Lana'i Hotel. The (hands on) owner Mike & his staff showed us Aloha and then some. .dinner was great & the music entertainment made it an enjoyable evening. Excellent service. Being the students that we are....Mike took time out on a Sunday and shared his knowledge & experience educating us on the hospitality industry, very hard working gentleman....Mahalo to Hotel Lana'i. Kekoolani

• Stayed March 2013
Mercer Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Lana'i City Hotel last week, mostly to see what the Island was like. The Hotel is old, but very well maintained. The rooms are small, but very comfortable, although the beds are only doubles and do need to be replaced. The staff are extremely pleasant and very accommodating. Get a lanai room, with a nice view through the Cooke Pines across the City. No ocean views (Lana'i City is about 1400' elevation and cool in the evenings). Well worth your time and with far more charm than the two nearby Four Seasons Resorts. Be sure to have dinner at the Grill within the Hotel. Only open Wed to Sun, but excellent food and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Choose a lanai room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lanai? Share your experiences!