“Great place to get away.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lanai

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lanai City
Hotel Lanai
You added Hotel Lanai to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   828 Lanai Avenue, Lanai City, Lanai, HI 96763   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
California, USA
“Great place to get away.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed slowing down, and enjoying the town. We loved the history of the hotel, a former Dole Plantation guesthouse. The hotel is right in the middle of town, so you can explore the town easily on foot. The cultural center and museum next door is not to be missed. The hotel staff were friendly, and service was personalized. Our room was charming, with a comfortable bed. The restaurant at the hotel was great, with attention to local fish and produce.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Lanai, more than the Four Seasons at Manele Bay. I found the food here to be excellent, and the staff very friendly and helpful. They laid out all the things to do on Lanai in detail and they always steered us right. The rooms are simple clean and comfortable. Priced reasonably too. There was no TV but I found that to be a good thing, and there is no pool. Great place to use as a base for an active Lanai vacation.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was my first visit to Lanai.

I loved that the Hotel Lanai is more of a B&B than a big hotel. Everyone associated with the hotel was friendly and helpful. It was nice to be in the center of town and yet be able to take the shuttled to the two big Four Seasons Resorts to see what they had to offer. While nice, I still opt for the Hotel Lanai. I had a room with a lanai and had wonderful neighbors. We sat out there at night before dinner, visited, and watched the "world go by."

The restaurant in the hotel serves wonderful food; and on Saturday and Sunday nights, there's live music. The servers and the bartender, Mary Lou, as well as the locals and other guests I met were a delight.

I have already started recommending the Hotel Lanai to friends and co-workers and look forward to returning for another stay.

Linda Sebald

Room Tip: Lanai rooms, though a bit more in price, give you an extra place to relax and view of the world of L...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Lanai. It was definitely less expensive than either of the Four Seasons hotels. The hotel staff were absolutely amazing; very friendly and helpful. They helped arrange our Jeep rental, transportation to the airport, and gave us good advice about local restaurants.

The only complaint was that the restaurant was fairly loud in the evenings. We knew this going into it, so we were prepared. There was only one night that it was exceptionally loud and we just closed the windows until after the restaurant closed. I would definitely recommend the Hotel Lanai!

We loved the bed, so comfy and nice. We didn't really do the continental breakfast; we opted to walk to the Blue Ginger and buy something with a little less carb content. But, the fruit and juice and pastries looked amazing.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room # 6.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was very worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews, especially because I'm a very light sleeper. However, I am glad we chose this hotel for our time on Lanai, it actually worked out well for us. The first thing we liked about it was that all of the very quaint shops and restaurants were right across the street, so we spent the first night walking around and met some very nice people. Also, the gas station and rental car place were about a block or less down the road, and we rented a Jeep for some off roading that was just an amazing amount of fun, definitely a good time, I can't imagine going to Lanai and not getting the Jeep, most of the island is not accessible any other way.

Our very clean room was #6, which must have been one of the better locations from reading the other reviews. Although we were right next to the restaurant, and the stage for the bands was right behind us, we got there on a Thursday, and there was no music. Most, if not all of the other guests must have been aware of the thin walls, because other than some muffled voices earlier in the evening, it was completely silent our first night there. Also, we had a king size bed that was amazingly comfortable, so we slept very well with the breezes coming through the windows. The second night, Friday, there was a band, so I thought I would get no sleep at all. However, we closed all of the windows, which didn't do a lot, but it muffled the sound just the slightest bit, and the music was not that loud or fast, it was slower dinner music, so the next thing I knew, I woke up and the band was gone. The people in the restaurant weren't that loud either. We were lucky it wasn't a stifling night and could close the windows, and that the crowd wasn't particularly rowdy, not sure if that's an issue sometimes. The next morning, unfortunately, around 6:15 there was a child in one of the rooms talking very loud, so if you're not an early person like us, that definitely would have kept you from sleeping in, no attempt was made to quiet the child. Other than that, the noise really wasn't bad overall.

As others have said, the breakfast was very small, some fruit, cereal and a few small pastries, but it was sufficient for us, and we were happy to have it. However, the restaurant was fabulous. Yes, it was a bit pricey, I paid $36 for the fish special, I wish I could remember exactly what it was, but it was amazing! The food was very high quality, and it just tasted wonderful, worth every penny. The bartender was fantastic too, she made the best mixed drinks I've had in a very long time, and her Blue Hawaiians are outstanding.

The negative for us was the very small bathroom, it was tight for us, although I have to admit I've stayed in places with smaller ones, we would have preferred it to be a bit larger.

Overall, the staff was very nice and accomodating, the restaurant was fantastic, and the off roading was a blast! I would stay in this hotel again, but I think from what I've read in the other reviews, in spite of the fact that it did not have a lanai, I would want room 6 again.

Lahaina, Hawaii, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is adorable. Built in the 1920's with a lot of original features (ie: an actual key to open a wooden door). We stayed in Room 4. Every morning at 6:30am when the front desk agent arrived we would wake to a lot of noise; the phone ringing, guests speaking to one another, the front desk fence opening, front desk agent speaking. Part of the reason we took vacation was to take our time and be on no schedule. When we stayed at this hotel, our day HAD TO START at 6:30am. Super dissapointed considering we live on Maui and wanted to return to the awesome island of Lanai and have a great referal for a hotel. If you chose to stay in this hotel, be prepared to rise from bed at 6:30am every day.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 4. Make sure you notify when you book your room. Loudest room!!!
Hana, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We felt at home with our accomodations and Shannette at the front desk was so wonderful when we arrived. The quiet laid-back atmosphere was just right for us! The Lanaians are friendly including the shuttle bus driver, Del who was so informative and answered our questions without hesitation. The weather was perfect, cool breezes all day long. We enjoyed walking through Richard's Market and eating at Blue Ginger. The shuttle was very convenient for us, recommend the shuttle as it's much easier to get from the harbor, to Four Seasons (both hotels) and Lanai City. The Heritage Culture Center was amazing! Mahalo Lana'i for your aloha! We will visit Lanai again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lanai? Share your experiences!