“Our favorite place on earth” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
N.C.
“Our favorite place on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We have stayed at the Lodge many times and as most reviews state this resort is peaceful, beautiful and well maintained. The staff is what truly makes the Lodge special. They are kind, friendly and thoughtful and are the greatest asset to the Four Seasons.As a guest you feel like you are in Shag-ra-lai. Especially as the clouds drift In from the ridge. Relax and enjoy the beautiful natural surroundings. Sit on your lanai and watch the birds. Have a drink on the terrace or enjoy the music each night in the living room. It is a wonderful escape from the rest of the world.

Room Tip: Every room we have stayed in is lovely. All are luxurious.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Amazing place, really. I don't have to repeat the words from all the other wonderful reviews, they're all true! The setting is incredible, the island is peaceful, and the staff are incredibly helpful and genuine.

However...the reason for docking this place one star is the dining situation. I know to expect high prices when staying at a place like this...but you truly can't get ANY kind of meal for under 25 bucks a person. If you're someone who needs a little bit more to fill you up, this might be a struggle if you aren't up for $100 lunches and $50 "snacks." I understand that's pennies for some, but out of principle I'm not the type who enjoys spending $27 for 3 small pieces of fried fish and chips.

Not to put anyone off - With all the great outdoor activities available, just be sure to not work up a big appetite unless you're ready for a similarly sized bill!

Room Tip: A view towards the back overlooks their beautiful gardens and lake.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Bottom line: This is a peaceful, magical place and there is no where quite like it on earth! Lanai is a privately owned island with only two resort properties, both managed by The Four Seasons. This property sits about 2000 feet above sea level. Accordingly, the temperature is about 10 degrees cooler than the coastline and the other Four Seasons Resort at Manele Bay. This entire island is a step back in time to what Hawaii was many years ago. It is quite, culturally unique and beautiful. There is an abundance of wild life, including deer, mountain sheep, turkey, quail, pheasant, franklins and more. There is clay shooting, horseback riding, four wheeling, hiking, golfing, fishing, diving and some of the very best snorkeling. We like to stay at The a Lodge at Koele and when we are ready for snorkeling or time on the beach, simply catch the Four Seasons shuttle down to the Manele Bay Resort. We have been told by the locals that The Lodge at Koele is the place that Hawaiians from the other islands vacation. There are many beautiful beach resorts in the Hawaiian islands, but no place as beautiful, quiet and cool climate as the Lodge at Koele. We have traveled all over the world and this is our single most favorite place to vacation. Tomorrow is the last day of our ten day 35th anniversary vacation. You will love it here!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ian W, Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Aloha,

Firstly, Happy 35th Anniversary and thank you for sharing your celebration with us here on Lana’i. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at the Lodge at Koele. You have summed up why it is such a special and unique place. From the activities to the climate it appears you fully enjoyed yourself. Mahalo for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next anniversary.

A Hui Hou,

Ian Williams
Hotel Manager
Ian.williams@fourseasons.com
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stayed at the lodge at Koele for 6 nights with my wife for our honeymoon. Thanks to the lodge, the honeymoon was magical. All the staff were friendly and very helpful. Any questions? Ask the concierge. Need your fireplace lighted? Done. Need to go downtown? Shuttle service will take care of you. Housekeeping was exceptionally attentive to detail (even figured out which side of the bed my slippers should go). Upon arrival, all the staff knew my last name within a few hours. We did all the activities on the island through the hotel, so you can just go to the concierge and schedule for horseback riding, skeet shooting, restaurant reservations, you name it. Must say that horseback riding was the best! Since there are so few people on the island, you pretty much get a private tour. Rode with Molly as our guide and my funny (snack-prone) horse Hickory. Molly really enjoys her job and made the entire ride really fun. The lodge is a really unique and beautiful property. Reminds us of an English estate, with a tropical flair! They have a beautiful orchid house and lots of tropical fruit trees. Plenty to do on the property itself as there are croquet lawns, lawn bowling, tennis courts and a putting green, all for free, as long as you stay there of course. Great specialty beer selections at the bar and the dining room restaurant was excellent. Had venison chops for dinner and was cooked perfectly medium rare as requested and with great presentation and flavor.

Overall, a great experience at Lana'i and the lodge made this possible!

Room Tip: Stayed at the great hall premier fireplace room and really enjoyed it! Very spacious and nicely deco...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I am a huge Four Seasons fan, they are my preferred hotels worldwide, and I've stayed at many all over the world. There is so much to love about the brand. However, a recent stay at Koele was a huge disappointment! I won't go back until things improve.
The Lodge at Koele is magnificent, I especially love the huge open "living room", and having come from Maui, it felt wonderful to have a fire going and the temperatures at Koele are much cooler, so be forewarned, bring long pants and a sweater.
Upon check in, our room, which was in the main living area, and an upgrade that I had to beg for, which is my huge pet peeve about Four Seasons, procuring an upgrade seems to be something I am unable to do, even though I have frequented their hotels for over 20 years. But, in this case, I lucked out and was given a big room with a wood burning fireplace. However, the air-conditioning wasn't working and the girl who escorted me up had no idea how it worked. The room was uncomfortably warm. I needed a nap, so I opened the door and windows and later asked to have the air-conditioning looked at. The maintenance man said that the "chiller" had been turned off and he went to some area above our room and turned it on.
Next evening we returned to our room to find "meat Locker" temperatures. I turned the a/c off, it was impossible to adjust at the thermostat for some reason. However, nothing worked and the cold air kept coming. At midnight we were so uncomfortably cold we phoned the front desk. A security man brought us a space heater and four blankets. We turned the heater on, put some blankets on the bed and were eventually able to sleep.
At breakfast on my first morning there, I order an egg dish, which was on the breakfast menu, it came with added mushrooms, though these were not listed as part of the ingredients in the dish. I am allergic to mushrooms. I had eaten a few bites before I saw the offenders and had some intestinal issues for part of the day.
The next day was Easter Sunday and after church we returned to the hotel, looking forward to their Easter Brunch. We found that the "brunch" was a set menu of three courses. I asked if I could have just the eggs, which was one of the choices and the server came back to say that the chef said that he could not do this, that I would have to pay for all three courses ($60) if I just wanted the eggs. The other option was their lunch menu, which didn't have eggs as an option. I asked one of the staff if he could intercede with the chef to see if I could get some kind of egg dish and he came back and said that I could have Eggs Benedict, which wasn't the Ahi Eggs Benedict which was on the special menu. That was fine with me.
I waited ONE HOUR to receive the egg dish. At no time did our server come to our table and tell us what was the problem in the kitchen. I am now wondering if I was being "punished" by the chef and made to sit and wait for my eggs?
I was told that I would be hearing from the Manager, but of course, I didn't. I much prefer to air my grievances DIRECTLY with a hotel, before I write a bad review, I feel that this is the fair way to handle things, but Four Seasons doesn't seem to care and doesn't appreciate a good customer, at least they don't appreciate me! A recent email asking me to fill out a review was deleted by me. Why bother?
Be forewarned also, you CANNOT USE THE POOL AT THIER SISTER HOTEL IN MANELE BAY. This is a new rule. You most likely won't use the pool at Koele, because a) it's not very inviting, and b) the weather is usually too cold.
This was my third stay at Koele, I have had consistent problems with the level of service in their dining room on all my stays. I would say it's the only Four Seasons where I have not had a good experience overall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wailuku, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Gentle, quiet lodge with Carnegie Hall symphonic music drifting from its lobby greeted us on our arrival. Courteous, helpful staff met all of our needs as we registered. Fresh pineapple/lemon juice was offered as we took care of checking in. Enormous first floor room was delightfully decorated with beautiful window treatments and comfy bed. Bathroom was roomy and well apportioned . We rented a jeep early on day 2 and drove to Garden of the Gods, a little tricky because of the rains the day before. Red hills and floating rocks covered the ground leading to vast cliffs and sparkling blue ocean. Returned to the Lodge for a yummy lunch; then proceeded to the Shipwreck Beach area. Take a camera with a telephoto lens and watch for the sea turtles that are chomping on the green seaweed that covers many of the rocks at shore break.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a spa day at beautiful Manele Beach Hotel. Shuttles run back and forth between Four Seaso...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Although I have stayed at the Lodge at Koele, each time brings a wonderful new wonderful experience. This stay was no exception. We had a wonderful time. Each staff member made our stay a great one. My grand daughter (2 years 8 months) had a wonderful time riding a horse. Stable personnel were wonderful with her and she smiled all the time. Still talks about her ride and wants to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Very quiet place so no noise to keep you awake. Beautiful setting. I always a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Aloha,

Mahalo for returning to the Lodge at Koele and sharing your most recent experience with us. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time and that your grand daughter also did. We will be sure to give the team at the stables kudos for your recognition. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

A Hui Hou,

Hotel Molokai
Hotel Molokai
#2 of 5 in Kaunakakai
3.5 of 5 stars 369 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!