“An Oasis of Relaxation and Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lanai City
Boston, Massachusetts
“An Oasis of Relaxation and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Four Seasons service culture can be defined by The Lodge at Koele; service perfection from the moment staff take your bags at the airport (or ferry) until they drop them off at the check in counter upon departure, this was a most memorable vacation in an absolutely perfect setting. Every member of staff was knowledgeable and well trained. Rooms were impeccable; the restaurant, with locally sourced materials, conjured up both delectable and healthy dishes. The golf courses were fantastic and we regret only having time to play each once. The grounds are manicured, the pool and gym service excellent. Undoubtedly we'll return next time we visit the islands.

Room Tip: I doubt that there's a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LodgeatKoele, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Aloha Garth C,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your experience. On behalf of the entire team, we really appreciate your kind words and praise for our luxurious accommodations, golf and dining experiences, and most of all impeccable service. We pride ourselves on offering the best service and it's wonderful to hear feedback such as yours that we are taking care of your every need. Great to hear you enjoyed the new menu at the Dining Room. The menu is comprised of 100% local ingredients from Hawaii and our culinary team has created a delicious menu. Thank you again and I hope to see you again soon!

Warmest aloha,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Princeville, Hawaii, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We recently stayed 7 days & nights there for our Honeymoon. This was our 9th trip there because it is like no other place. We reside on Kauai which is where we plan to retire, however, whenever we want a break from the usual beach vacation, we go to Koele.

The staff and surroundings have a special feeling about them that make us feel like royalty. The golf is some of the best we have ever played and the activities are endless. The crew @ Lanai Western Adventures are salt of the earth. We went horseback riding with Molly and we had a blast! We highly recommend anyone staying on Lanai to experience what they have to offer.

Room Tip: We prefer the down stairs rooms for access, however, there is not a bad room location on the whole p...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Or as close to it! Set on the very quiet island of Lanai, the people are honest, friendly, and down to earth. More native and rustic than the other islands, the hotel resembles a great old plantation house set up against the mountains. It is quiet, serene, and definitely 5 star. The rooms are beautiful, immaculate, and wait staff couldn't be more accommodating. Pretty much any request is met with "no problem". My wife and I had a wonderful time. There are some many things to do, I will review those seperately. It is a once in a lifetime experience for many and well worth it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Paradise Valley, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge for ten days in January and just loved it! Having said that, I have to say had we stayed in the first room we were shown, I don't think the experience would have been anywhere near as good.
We had a booked a Premier Room (which is basically a suite) and were to be upgraded to a Premier Room with Fireplace if available on arrival. Since there are only two of these rooms and there was a large wedding the day we arrived, we were unable to receive the upgrade, but it would be available two nights later. We were fine with that and were shown to Room 103, one of the four Premier Rooms. When I walked into the room, I almost started crying. The room was nice enough, but when I walked out to the "lanai", I told my husband I absolutely couldn't stay in that room. There were two small chairs with a table in between, these were dwarfed by the huge expanse of roof that was supposed to be the lanai. So, basically, you are sitting on a large roof with no view except for the roof! (There are two rooms like this, one on the other side of the hotel, so be sure you don't stay in them. The hotel really should invest some money into making these roof "lanais" more comfortable for people - adding an indoor/outdoor rug, a table with an umbrella and some plants. For not much money, they could really do something with those spaces and make those Premier Rooms truly grand).
My husband spoke to the front desk and we were immediately moved to another room which I believe was a deluxe garden room. Both the room and the view was much nicer - the view was to the front of the hotel, but the lanai barely had room for the two chairs. (When you sat down, there wasn't much space between your knees and the wall.) Since we were staying for ten days, we really wanted a nice room, so the next day, my husband spoke with someone who was very nice and he promised he would see what was available. Sure enough, he came back and said he had found a room that he knew we would love. We were moved into what is called a Koele Deluxe Room. It was a corner room on the second floor that looked out over the gardens, koi pond and putting green. It was fabulous! The lanai was a good size and we had breakfast out there and afternoon cocktails every day, just watching the wild turkeys roam the grounds and the people playing golf. It made our stay so special. I do not understand the other Tripadvisor reviews stating that there are no bad rooms because there are. They are all different in terms of view, brightness (some are extremely dark and shaded all of the time), size, shape and lanai size, so choose carefully if that is important to you.

We did something every day we were there - you can hike around the grounds, play croquet, putt on an 18-hole putting course, lawn bowl and shoot sporting clays. We did all of these and loved them all.The grounds and staff are wonderful - you feel like you are a guest in someone's private country hunting lodge. It is secluded, quiet, and not crowded. One day, we took the ferry over to Maui and experienced some culture shock with the noise and the crowds. We were happy to return our sanctuary at the Lodge!

If you like the sun and beach, there is a free shuttle every hour (every half-hour Thurs-Sun) to the other Four Season at Manele Bay, it takes about 30 minutes to get there with a stop in town at the Lanai Hotel. There is also a free shuttle to the ferry over to Maui.

A word about the decor - they definitely need a new decorator. The new furniture in the Grand Hall is uncomfortable, strange and not very practical. There are small footstools throughout and no coffee table to put your drink or appetizers on. The Terrace Restaurant has been moved to the other side of the Great Hall where there used to be wonderful rugs and comfy sofas. sofas, My husband and I only ate there once because there was absolutely no atmosphere. Basically a cafeteria-type atmosphere - wood tables and chairs on a bare wood floor - no flowers on the table, no carpets, upholstery, nothing. We often ordered from the bar menu and sat on a sofa, listening to the live music. We did eat at Manele Bay, at One Forty, and Kailani, the Italian restaurant - both excellent. At One Forty, if you can get a table overlooking the grounds, it is beautiful.
One additional caveat. This is really not a hotel for small children, you are better off going to Manele bay if you have them. Much more to do for them there and the pool is quite a big larger.
Al in all, we had a fabulous vacation here and wouldn't hesitate to come back. I would just make sure we had the right room!

Room Tip: The rooms are all different in terms of view, brightness (some are extremely dark and shaded all of...
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our family frequents the Lodge at Koele very often. It is our "go to" vacation spot. This was the first time we were there during the holidays and although it was extremely busy every staff member were all so helpful and accomodating.

Each staff member at the front desk including the manager Misa were so friendly & attentive to our every need. My children have continuously been spoiled by the wait staff and bartenders when ordering their food exactly the way my children want things. Jesse at the bar was so patient and accomodating every time we put in our food and beverage orders as we were watching football.

We keep On going back because of the gorgeous grounds, facility, and over the top excellent staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha Steelers15104,

Greetings from paradise! I truly appreciate you taking the time to share such a kind review. It's wonderful that the resort holds such fond memories for your family and we appreciate you celebrating the holidays with us. Thanks for the special mention regarding our attentive and friendly staff. I will make sure to share with the team, including Missagh and Jesse. U.S. News & World Report just announced that the Resort ranked #1 hotel in Hawaii, for the second year in a row, and your wonderful feedback echoes this praise. We appreciate you sharing your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

A hui hou,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

As a resident of Maui I found The Lodge At Koele to be more than I expected. The grounds, staff, room and food was everything I wanted and more. You will not find a more relaxing place on earth. The seclusion was perfect for me. (It may be too secluded for some) I felt as if I were a V I P the entire time. Just strolling the grounds took away all my stress.

Room Tip: This place is unique.I can't imagine a bad room.
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This resort is the absolute best of what Hawaii has to offer. Excellent location, excellent service, and overall a great experience. Transportation services, housekeeping, bar and restaurant service, pool service all provided with a smile and prompt attention to detail.
I find the location to be very unique to the rest of Hawaii, and as a resident enjoy the "difference" the experience at the Lodge provides.

Room Tip: We enjoy the rooms in the actual lodge building overlooking the front lawn.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!