My family and I just spent 8 days at the Cottages. There were just four of us including our two kids, a teenager and a 5 year old. We were situated in, after some consideration, probably one of the best cottages on the property. Ocean views and literally a 15 second walk to the pool.
The cottage was definitely… rustic. Very old fashioned, very island-esque. No AC. This was usually okay through the night (from around 10pm to 8am), but once it starts to warm up, it gets incredibly hot and stuffy. The beds weren't the most comfortable things ever, but they were decent. The cottage also had a full kitchen, living room and two bathrooms. The baths were great- fully equipped to handle our 5 year old's nightly routine. The kitchen met all of our needs as well. There was also a barbecue outside of our unit that we had easy access to. Only problem with this was that we had to go buy our own charcoal, matches, etc. Not exactly what you want to hear at 7pm right as you're getting ready to put the steaks on.
The nightly skies were gorgeous. The cottages don't exactly face West so you can't actually see the sunset, but they face South, so you can kind of see the lovely skies created by the sunset. The starry skies though, those were absolutely lovely. With no large lights around, the view of our galaxy was very clear.
The pool is a decent size, around 4 feet deep all around. Sun chairs all around the pool facing inwards. A small pool just beside the big one is meant for smaller children. 1-2 feet deep there. The cottages also have a beach volleyball court and a large shuffleboard area. No volleyball supplied. The ocean that the cottages lay right in front of has signs all over it warning against swimming in the water. I actually did swim in it a few times, and it was quite fun. But the water is no place for anyone but a good swimmer to spend time. The shore isn't a place you want to hang out either.
The cottages were well situated. We spent our time touring the South and Western Areas of the island, going into the Canyon, and doing a couple touristy trips. With it being a short drive anywhere you want, the location is pretty good. Of course, i assume this would be the same as any hotel on the island. It's a pretty small island. But you did have easy access to the town of Waimea (5 minute walk).
So from this point on, just with the accommodation, access to the rest of the island, pool, etc. the cottages were fine. Not too exciting, but good in their own rustic way.
No one seems to advertise the roosters and chickens skipping around the area. Having been to the remainder of the island, it's obvious that there is some sort of issue. But it's okay because they aren't in huge numbers flocking everywhere. Well, in these cottages you are surrounded day and night. The idiot birds start crowing at 3am and don't stop until 7pm. They're loud obnoxious, and they seem to absolutely love the area. In the end, my daughter had to buy a pair of ear plugs because she hadn't more than 8 of the last 72 hours. We asked the management to do something, but really, it's too big of a job to expect them to clear the roosters out for one family. But it definitely IS AN ISSUE.
So there you have it. Rustic accommodations, okay experience, but the roosters were a huge issue.
We would probably not go back.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages Hotel
- Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages Hotel Waimea
- Waimea Plantation Cottages
- Resortquest Waimea Plantation Cottages
- Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages Kauai
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private, individual plantation cottages set on a historic 27-acre coconut plantation in a beachside setting close to Kauai's famous Napali Coast and Waimea Canyon. Each self-contained cottage has been fully restored with modern appliances, full kitchens, and amenities. The simple, comfortable charm, genuine history and beautiful grounds allow guests to enjoy a unique experience unlike any other in the islands. Waimea Plantation Cottages offers beautiful settings for Wedding Celebrations, Anniversaries, Family Reunions, and Corporate Business meetings. Note: The restaurant will be closed temporarily as we remodel and transition the restaurant to a new restaurant operator and will re-open in mid-to-late fall of 2013. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience. During this transition, we suggest trying some of the other dining options in Waimea Town such as Wrangler's Steak House. But do come and try our new restaurant once it reopens! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Tingo, Priceline, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Aston Waimea Plantation Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.