“We loved Bali Hai, remote, tranquil and with good local attractions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bali Hai Villas

You added Bali Hai Villas to your Saves list
Bali Hai Villas
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   4970 Pepelani Loop, Princeville, Kauai, HI 96722   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northampton, United Kingdom
“We loved Bali Hai, remote, tranquil and with good local attractions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Fantastic place in a very beautiful location surrounded by golf courses and mountain views. Very clean. Excellent equipment, decor, grounds and maintenance. Very efficient staff. Thank you, Jordan, our lovely concierge for arranging our tours and recommending some great spots to visit and dine. Can't praise the resort team highly enough, everyone made you feel welcome. We had a wonderful stay and hope to come back.

Would have been 5 stars if there was an on site restaurant/bar.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed quiet. We were in 1014 next to the "main" road and our neighbours were ch...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed late July into early August 2012. We got upgraded to a 3br presidential suite, so the three of us (all adults) had our own bathroom and bedroom. Our unit was clean and very presentable, and plenty large enough to relax and enjoy ourselves. Our lanai was big and looked out onto those gorgeous Kauai mountains. There was no sign of bed bugs or any other pests. There was no broom in our unit, and since we were going to the beach every day, we called the front desk and they brought one over. The secondary pool area was great, nice size with waterfall/water jets and two hot tubs. The main pool had only one hot tub but the pool was bigger. The property as a whole was beautiful and very well manicured. There were lots of attendants driving around and keeping track of how the property looked. No AC in our unit but we were never hot between opening the lanai doors and our windows, plus the ceiling fans and a stand up fan. Beware the roosters in the morning/pretty much all day. It was hysterical to us that they would start cock-a-doodle-dooing as the sun would rise. It didn't hamper our trip at all. My dad (the owner) went to the timeshare presentation because he legitimately wanted to get his member update (the incentive was a $75 gift card). You can rent beach chairs for $20/week while you are there which is great if you are planning on doing a lot of beaching. Nearby beaches include Hanalei and Anini, but obviously Kauai is full of them!

The resort is located in a community of other resorts (including the St. Regis), a beautiful golf course, and some condos. There is a foodland supermarket around the corner and some other shops including a coffee shop. We bought groceries and ate in every meal (lunches were packed for the beaches). This was a great vacation and Kauai is stunning. I hope to come again, and I absolutely would stay at the Bali Hai in a heartbeat.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The resort was beautiful in a very idyllic location. The staff was friendly and efficient with check in. The concierge desk was very helpful with planning all activities, definitely use them! The rooms were very nice. I was skeptical about having no air conditioning in the middle of July, but the fans were sufficient during the night (although we were on the second floor). The three bedroom unit does have a portable ac unit in the master bedroom but was not needed. Both pools were beautiful with a waterfall and not crowded during the day and nights we were there. Definitely would recommend and would love to return some day.

Kent, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I had read some of the reviews and was a little hesitant on staying here. When we arrived, we were happily surprised on how nice the staff was, the grounds are amazing (well kept) and the rooms clean and nice. One of the nice things about this resort is it is just a short walk from the shopping center. My wife and I would get our morning walk in and have coffee at one of the Princeville coffee shops. We enjoy the north portion of the island and everything is within short driving distance. We will definately be staying here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 5. I would suggest buildings in the center core of the resort just to stay clo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Based on previous reviews, I was a little hesitant prior to arrival. However, check-in was quick and easy with pleasant staff - in fact, every single staff member we encountered all week was very friendly and helpful. The unit we had was well-appointed (my wife is fussy about kitchens, and she liked this one for a vacation unit). We also had my son and kids (9 & 11) with us. I think everybody found the Bali Hai to be great. We spent much more time at the pool than we would without kids, so fortunately the excellent pool for playing (not exercising) was a plus. Sleep quality was decreased a bit due to noise from roosters in AM, but I became used to it.

nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days at Bali Hai with my daughter and her husband and 3 small children. This was a perfect resort for all of us! We had two 2bd units in building 14 on the 2nd floor. They both had wonderful views of the mountains and waterfalls and were very close to the new pool. (The staff had gone out of their way to give us rooms beside each other and near the pool) Don't be worried about there being no air conditioning - it is truly not needed. There are wonderful breezes coming through that keep it very comfortable . The condo was well appointed and had a nice lanai with a view of the mts. The kitchen had everything we needed - we did alot of cooking and it worked out well. It was not a deluxe unit, but was beautiful as it was - I would not spend more to get a deluxe unit, but would recommend a 2nd floor unit.
The new pool that was near our condo was perfect for the kids. (Both pools have zero-depth walk in areas that worked well) We used the grills located at the pool and had a wonderful cookout one evening.
There are nice restaurants nearby in the Princeville shopping area and also down in Hanalei. Both areas are very close.
We attended the breakfast meeting and received alot of good info about the area and things to do. The staff was very helpful in getting our tours planned.
I would recommend a boat tour of the Na Pali coast that leaves from Hanalei - so much better than driving all the way to the south shore and you will spend more of your time seeing the coast and less time getting to it! We used Holo Holo and had a good trip. We also did a helicopter tour with Jack Harter - it was spectacular! Be sure and drive down the coast past Hanalei - we drove to Ha'ena Beach Park to watch the sunset. Poi'pu Beach Park, on the south side, had a great area for children to swim. We drove the Waimea Canyon - be sure to make it to the last stop: Pu'u o Kila lookout, where you can see the Na Pali coast!
A must-do is getting a Shave Ice - we liked Ono Ono Shave Ice in Kapaa - try the coffee dream with macadamia nut ice cream in the center! Amazing!
The north island is the best place to stay (especially in the summer - the surf is not as high and the views of the mountains are amazing). Bali Hai is a terrific base - I hope to go back some day!

Room Tip: Building 14, or ones nearby, are very quiet and have views of the mountains - and nothing but trees...
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Several months ago, I booked a 2- and 1-bdrm units at Bali Hai for the 3rd week of Aug for me and my sister’s family. I was pleasantly surprised at check in time when the 1-bdrm was upgraded without charge to a 2-bdrm so we could all stay close together. Bali Hai is located within the prized Princeville resort community north of Kauai near Hanalei. The grounds were well kept, units were reasonably clean, kitchen well-stocked although the interior was dated and could use a reno. The water in the shower was just a trickle and the shower handle was difficult to manipulate when I was trying to turn the shower on. I didn’t have a chance to use the Jacuzzi although my sister and her family thoroughly enjoyed theirs. We weren’t really bothered by the roosters waking up everybody early in the morning. I figured they were just doing their natural thing. The ladies in the office were very helpful and friendly as was the ground staff. For those who don’t want to go out for meals, there’s a Foodland store located in the Princeville Shopping Center which is a few minutes away. Everybody enjoyed all the activities that we participated in. The mai-tais weren’t diluted and the food at Gaylord’s luau was pretty decent.

Joe and Mike at the timeshare presentation were very professional, answering all the questions I had asked, providing updates and info that was relevant to my situation. What I appreciated the most was it wasn’t the type of hard sell that I experienced from other similar presentations I’ve gone to in the past which totally put me off.

Kauai is as lush and as green as I remembered it to be in previous visits. The North Shore is pretty stunning in its natural beauty although the South shore has its own unique features. Overall it was an enjoyable vacation that when check-out time came, nobody, especially my niece, wanted to leave.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bali Hai Villas? Share your experiences!