“Best view on the island - who cares about the food?” 5 of 5 stars

(808) 826-2746
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Makana Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 21 Restaurants in Princeville
Cuisines: Hawaiian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Overlooking magical Hanalei Bay and Makana Mountain ( Bali Hai ), our main dining room is the perfect venue for sophisticated casual dining. Makana Terrace menu’s showcase the freshest Hawaiian grown produce flawlessly represented in the dishes prepared by Chef de Cuisine Antwon Brinson and his Culinary team. In addition we feature a vast selection Sushi, freshly prepared each evening by our skilled Sushi Chefs. Do not miss the Sunset from our outdoor seating overlooking Hanalei Bay! This will be one of the highlights of your Hawaiian journey...
Hermosa Beach, California
“Best view on the island - who cares about the food?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We spent a good amount of time looking at the beautiful north shore but we finally got the perfect view once we got to this restauarnt.

It's angled perfectly right at the vista and raised up so it's perfectly unobstructed. This has to be one of the worlds best views.

With that said, who cares about the food??!!

We got breakfast and it was good enough - it tasted like a fancy resort breakfast at fancy resort prices.

We also went to the kauai grill - the "nicer" restaurant - and we liked Malaga grill much better.

Salt Lake City, Utah
“View: A+, Mix food & Pushy service: D-”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Came here for a special family celebration. They gave us a beautiful table at the apex of the courtyard terrace; Fantastic! Unfortunately, it went downhill thereafter.

The waiter pushed us to order. We relented to the pressure and ordered some appetizers of drinks & two sushi / sashimi plates to share. Then taking some time to enjoy the BEAUTIFUL scene of the setting sun and amazing view of the Bay, most of us then ordered a a salad as first course and fish / meat as the second.

Unfortunately, the restaurant decided to bring the sushi/sashimi and salads AT THE SAME TIME. I wasn't the host of our party so I bit my lip but I would have demanded the waiter to return the salads until we had enjoyed our appetizers and drinks. I set my salad to the side (to try to give the wait staff a clue). The sushi and sashimi was very tasty. I didn't care for the Panko fried avocado in my salad but it was innovative and it needed seasoning.

Before I and another had a chance to finish our salads, the hotel brought our main dishes. Unbelievable. A restaurant of this price tag should know better to follow simple 101 fine dining rules. Again, I would have simply refused but I wasn't the host of our party.

The main courses: The beef filet was done perfectly for my daughter. My fish was a bit tough and my wife didn't care for her gnocchi (quite hard). We ordered sides of Truffle fries, Sweet Potato and Asparagus; the 1st two were very well done. The Asparagus wasn't cooked enough though I do like mine classically undercooked.

All in all, I left disappointed at the hefty cost of this meal for pushed and inconsistent service.

Tip for guests:

1. Get a reservation 60 mins before the sunset. Ours was 85 mins before; it was too warm at the start.

2. Bring sunglasses.

3. Do order a sushi roll with a drink to start to take in the beautiful surroundings and be more explicit than I was than you want to enjoy this first before they bringing the rest....

4. Try those Truffle fries... really good.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicopee, Massachusetts
“Best part of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had breakfast every morning on the Makana Terrace and it was one of our best parts of the trip. The tables were outside and the view was breathtaking. We could see the beach and the mountains. In the morning, we could see the fog in the mountains and a few waterfalls after the rain. It was absolutely gorgeous! We also had some friendly birds visit our table and steal food from us:) There was also a great variety of food at the buffet and if staying at the St. Regis, eating at the Makana Terrace is a must!

Visited July 2014
Port Stephens, Australia
“Sunset dinner.. Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Our family group of 9 enjoyed a beautiful dinner at sunset on the Makana Terrace in June 2014. We had decided to eat at the St Regis on our last night after seeing the restaurants and the show from across the way at our resort, the Hanalei Bay Resort. Even though we knew the view would be magical.... We were not expecting such an incredibly beautiful evening, the surroundings, the food and service were a little overwhelming. We took the most fantastic photos of our family at sunset and all still agreed it was the best night of our entire vacation. Tom, our server was very helpful and attentive and looked our children so well, we could not have asked for a better ending to our amazing stay on Kauai.

Visited June 2014
Silverdale, Wa
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We enjoyed a beautiful morning on the Terrace eating breakfast. The service was outstanding, the food was yummy and the view was to die for.

Visited July 2014