“Breathtaking view; great for sunset dining!” 4 of 5 stars

(808) 826-2746
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Makana Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 21 Restaurants in Princeville
Cuisines: Hawaiian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Overlooking magical Hanalei Bay and Makana Mountain ( Bali Hai ), our main dining room is the perfect venue for sophisticated casual dining. Makana Terrace menu’s showcase the freshest Hawaiian grown produce flawlessly represented in the dishes prepared by Chef de Cuisine Antwon Brinson and his Culinary team. In addition we feature a vast selection Sushi, freshly prepared each evening by our skilled Sushi Chefs. Do not miss the Sunset from our outdoor seating overlooking Hanalei Bay! This will be one of the highlights of your Hawaiian journey...
Wailua, Hawaii
“Breathtaking view; great for sunset dining!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Service adequate; food decent but not overwhelming. Portions small. If you are willing to pay extra for a spectacular setting and view, Makana Terrace would be an excellent choice.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Spectacular view, great service, food was okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I took our eight year old son here for a special dinner. We had eaten at this restaurant on our wedding night in 2008. It was the "Cafe Hanalei" back then. The old "Cafe Hanalei" has now been separated into two restaurants, the Makana Terrace and the Kauai Grill. Both offer high-end menus. Both have great views of the bay but if you want the best sunset view then go for the Kauai Grill side. The staff was very nice, everyone from the hostess to the wait staff acknowledged our anniversary. The meal was very good but not as good as we remembered from 2008. The prices are expensive but in this area of the island most things are. They also gave us a complimentary anniversary dessert. Not sure if we would return but if it's your first trip to the island and you would like a romantic dinner with spectacular views and great service; save up and make a reservation.

Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful views, disappointed by service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Sigh. I'm so torn about this review. My husband and I were blown away when we first walked into this restaurant- breathtaking, sweeping views of the mountains and bay in front of you all around. It is absolutely beautiful. The restaurant has a very nice, special feel to it- white, clean cloth tablecloths, beautiful dishware, etc.

The problem is, this dinner was our one special honeymoon dinner that we chose to "splurge" on and we did not feel we were treated very well while we were there. When we were seated we noticed that the hostess asked us if we were there to celebrate anything special, and she noted that it was our honeymoon on the sheet she gave to our server. He made mention of it when he first came to serve us as well. But as the night progressed, his attention seemed to be very much devoted to another table with a larger party that was seated close to us. I don't expect to have your undivided attention because I realize, as a server, that you have many other tables, but I did feel like he kind of ignored us as the night went on.

The thing I am most disappointed by is that I had seen many friends post pictures of special honeymoon desserts when they were on their honeymoon, where the kitchen staff writes "congrats" or "well wishes", etc. on their plate. I at first thought they might just give us a scoop of ice cream or other small treat for free, but we ended up just ordering dessert anyway. Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary happened and we just left feeling like the staff didn't really care about making it a special night for us.

Wish I could've given it an Excellent review- great views from the restaurant, and delicious food- but the service just wasn't that great :(

Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing view... okay everything else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Let me start off by saying that the view is incredible, and it definitely lived up to the high praises I had read before hand.

Outside of that, the rest of the experience was just okay. My wife and I were on Kauai celebrating our honeymoon and had dinner at Makana Terrace one night. The lady who seated us asked if we were celebrating anything special, so we told her we were and she wrote something down on her sheet. Naturally, we were expecting one of those "congrats newlyweds" dessert plates, or a glass of champagne, or something. But it didn't happen. This makes me sound like a snob to point out that I didn't get something for free, but we were kinda bummed (especially considering the table behind us was celebrating a bday, and they received complimentary items). Why ask if you're not going to do anything about it? That's setting your customers up for a letdown.

The food good, but nothing great. I've had far better for a similar cost. Speaking of cost... we ordered calimari as an appetizer (which was very good), and when it was served we both looked at each other and laughed. Where is the rest, we wondered? I've never seen a smaller portion of calimari (at $16, no less!).

In short... great views, the St Regis itself is beautiful, okay food, decent service.

Seal Beach, California
“Wonderful Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Incredible view, attentive staff, delicious food. The NY steak was wonderful, and so was the Sangria. The macadamia chocolate dessert was to die for!

Visited July 2013