“Great View, Tired Accommodation” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% Off
Market Drayton, England, United Kingdom
“Great View, Tired Accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Visited on timeshare exchange points. Fantastic location, good facilities in terms of pool and BBQ area. This place is let down by its tired rooms decor and general wear and tear. The newest members of the front of house staff very helpful where they could be but I felt that the others could have been more helpful and friendly. Quite rigid and cold in approach. There is NO air-con so louvres need to be left open and fans on. Take earplugs if you are a light sleeper...particularly if you hear the cockerels crowing at 5am....6am.....7am etc. Would I stay again...yes. Just set your expectations accordingly. This is NOT gold crown standard. Note to management - customer care is king. I would be happy to assist. That said I had a great Holiday on Kauai!

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the golf course & ocean
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was a bit frustrated when two days before my arrival I got an email saying that our usual condo was no longer available and that we would have to stay in the one furthest from the pool. However, as soon as we opened the door I was quite pleased with the switch. They had just remodeled this particular unit and it looked like what you would expect from a 5 star resort. New beds, furniture, granite counter tops, etc.

One of the best parts of Ka'Eo Kai is that each of the 2 bedroom units has its own wrap around patio, that's private on the Phase II units, semi-private on the Phase III units. The landscaping was nice as always and the number of chickens had been cut down from previous stays. The full kitchen helps save money and time since Princeville doesn't have a plethora of dining choices.

I can't comment on the value since my family owns here as a timeshare, but I can say that anyone under 25 yrs of age should steer clear of this place if you want any sort of hospitality at the front desk. They're always pushing you to buy a timeshare and if you don't meet their requirements it can be hard to get much help in planning your trip or other perks. The complimentary weekly island orientation breakfast has really gone downhill though so you might as well just skip it unless you really need a prepackaged Sarah-Lee muffin or basic ideas of what to do while you're there. If you have a full 3 hours to kill your first morning there and very strong willpower you might as well go to listen to their timeshare presentation for the discount card and some spare cash. Just remember to tell them NO! It saved our group of 4 around $500 so I'd happily do it again.

Bottom line, I was thinking about writing this place off after my last visit in 2009 and now I'm actually looking forward to going back. Between the remodel and the fact that I'm now over 25 meant I was treated with respect while staying in lavish accommodations.

Room Tip: Phase II has private patios, but is hit or miss with a remodeled room or not. Phase III is newer ov...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PEMBROKE PINES FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Have stayed at many Wyndham resorts, but this one was totally different. The staff was friendly and the grounds were very nice. The room was hot and damp. It has little windows that you must keep open 24 hours a day. I got a fan from the front desk, otherwise this would have been unbearable to sleep in. I live in Florida so I now what hot is. It is still exactly the way it was when it was built in th 1970's, which was fine. Just need to do something about the comfort while trying to sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Poway, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

When we arrived we were put in the studio condo. It is VERY small! We asked if we could be upgraded and they said if they had availability which they ended up having the next day. This hotel does not have AC only ceiling fans and trade wind windows so needless to say you can hear EVERYTHING in all your neighbors rooms that goes on. The studio was very small the size of a walk in closet. The kitchen included a small bar refrig, sink, no stove or oven, kitchen sink, toaster oven, micro, and coffee pot. No counter space. they do have a closet that is no more than 18 inches wide. The bathroom is almost bigger than the whole unit. We were very thankful when we got upgraded for $75 to a one bedroom. It was much larger and had a washer and dryer, it made our stay there much more enjoyable. Full kitchen oven,stove, micro, blender toaster, full set of dishes, dishwasher etc. Spend the extra money and get the one bedroom it is night and day. The resort is on a golf course and at night after the course closed it was nice to use their grass and many people were playing football, Frisbee etc, on the grass. Overall a good experience staff was helpful and pleasant! BTW... roosters were crowing all night long!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

As soon as we arrived it felt so welcoming, the view was spectacular. Checking in we we're greated with fresh leis for the ladies and shell leis for the men. Our front desk rep was do helpful, informative and accommodating. Being in such a large group this helps tremendously (14 people). Walking on our rooms you felt as if you where in a palace. So specious, clean and helped it was a newly renovated unit. I could go on but then I would end up writing a book. I love this resort. Even more then the other locations they had in the area. I thought those felt more Americanized then Ka Eo Kai as this resort truly made you feel like you where in Kauai, Hawaii.

• Stayed June 2013
binghamton, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Yup, it's older, it's spacious, grounds & pools lovely. Hated no a/c. Sooooo open, with no escape from openness & noise, like camping, except you're paying lots more & in a nice bed. All theses other reviews describe both the better and worse experiences we had as well. Out of our 40 some trades in 20 + years, close to my least favorite accommodations, though pool saved it for the kids. Most important for me, even given no a/c, was the white, like sheers, curtains flying all over with the winds to cool the room and bright as day when those roosters start up even before dawn from outside lights. Get room darkening ones & a/c...like in their offices!

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was so looking forward to our visit as it was our first time to this island (usually we go to Maui). Our stay at Ka Eo Kai has been less than perfect--and we actually have a renovated 2 BR suite!! The suite is spacious enough for the 6 of us, however, that is the only good thing I can say about it. The lack of A/C has been very uncomfortable and leaving all windows open still does not cool it enough for me. Also, the geckos were a HUGE bother. I realize they are everywhere in Hawaii but I would sure love to be able to sleep at night without having to worry about one falling on my head. Also, the front desk staff have been very rude. One woman in particular talked down to me and made me feel like a child when I misunderstood the rules for pool towels (which was never explained to us). I will not stay here again. We usually visit Maui and stay at The Royal Kahana, which is a no frills, but nice place with clean units, ocean views, attentive staff and no geckos in the rooms!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Princeville
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Cliffs at Princeville
Cliffs at Princeville
#4 of 12 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 stars 351 reviews

Been to Wyndham Ka 'Eo Kai? Share your experiences!