“Outstanding Condominium” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castle at Princeville

Save Saved
You added Castle at Princeville to your Saves list
Castle at Princeville
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5300 Ka Haku Rd, Suite C, Princeville, Kauai, HI 96722   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Princeville
“Outstanding Condominium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Was very concern about Condo prior to arrival premised on several very Tripadvisor negative reviews. Our experience was very positive. The condo had stunning views and sunsets with Bali Hai as the back drop! The unit itself was large, up to date and clean. Yes there is no maid service, no valet parking, no in room services that you would get in a full service hotel. For that the Saint Regis is just down the street for 3 to 4 times the cost and one third the space. This is a condo not a hotel room.

A few things Castle Princeville could do is list the property by its real name, "Pali Ke Kua" and provide accurate maps for their sales office and the condos location. We own a Marriott Timeshare on Kauai and have been here dozens of time. Even with that experience it was a significant challenge to find this place in day light. Any one coming at night bring a flash light. Hawaiians don't believe in fluorescent signs and lights making night travel more difficult.

Will I come? Absolutely. I'm writing this from the other side of the island at the Marriott awaiting our time share. For this trip we get to experience the true beauty of the north coast of Kauai followed by our more traditional stay with all the humanity on the southeast coast.

Stayed October 2013

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family stayed at Pali Ke Kua for three nights in July and had three units all on different ends of the property. The reservations were made in October, reconfirmed in April and beginning of July,and when we arrived we did not receive the correct units. There were 11 of us consisting of a family of four, one of five and one of two. I had requested two, two bedroom units and one one bedroom unit but they did not have what I requested and made a deposit on. It all worked out with the lovely lady Malani at the front office but I think I would go with Oceanfront properties who she represents. Castle did not help us with the situation. That is who I booked through. However; the units were very nice with incredible views. They were very spacious, well equipped and very clean. All of the three units were contemporary (granite,etc). I think that the resort is more suited for adults rather than children. We had five children with us and the clift that the hotel sits makes it a little nerve racking for the younger ones. (actually for the grandparents... Me) It was only for three days and then we moved on to Poipu which was more child friendly. The resort did have a gated small, basic swimming pool which was a nice feature for the children. The beach at the property was difficult to get to and very small. We went to the beach at Hanalei, about a ten minute drive. The best meal we had was in Hanalei at The Blue Dolphin. Don't miss it but go early as they do not take reservations. I think it was nice to couple the North shore for a few days then the south shore of Kuaui.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front as the view is spectaclular and the main reason to stay at the property. Ask...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We have only been here two nights, but I already feel compelled to write this review to let others know what I wish I knew before booking. We are in unit 124.
First the good news: The views are as advertised. We have an ocean view condo and it is really lovely to look out over the grassy lawn and see the sea and mountains. Truly spectacular.
Now for the not so hot news: let me start by saying that I had NO expectations of this being a luxury property. But we have rented condos on Kauai in the past (at LOWER price points) so I did have some expectations of basic accommodations.
1. The place is a bit dirty. I'm talking about small bugs on the counters and the drawers sticking in the kitchen from grease and food build up. I had to scrub all the counters down. It should be said that I am NOT a clean freak. It was dirty.
2. The bathrooms were dirty, too. Weird stains in the toilet, stuck on grime on the doors to the laundry, etc...the kind of generalized yuck that builds up when a place had only been superficially cleaned for YEARS.
3. The outside furniture is filthy. You cannot sit on it. Needs a power washing, badly. We had to put our bath towels down to sit on it. ( Again, we are not fussy people- it takes a lot for me to complain about outdoor furniture.)
4. The windows are filthy. It's a million dollar view, for goodness sake and you are looking out over a layer of filmy grime.
5. The place has NOTHING in it. No beach towels, no wine glasses, no usable kitchen knife. My husband packed his Swiss Army knife- that's what we are using for food prep and passing it back and forth to eat. There is no left over cooking oil, spices, Sudan wrap, foil, not ONE piece of Tupperware. There are some plastic cups, two actual glass drinking glasses, and some silverware. The cooking materials are terrible. I'm talking about a crappy non stuck frying pan that the coating is chipping off of. It's bad. We talked to a local about it and she told us she used to be a housekeeper for a condo rental complex ( NOT this one) and that the housekeepers used to take anything left over. I don't know if this is what's happening, but the last time we rented a condo, it was clear the previous renters left some staples behind, and so did we when we left. This unit felt "cleaned out", but not cleaned up, if you know what I mean.
This unit feels like the owners haven't been here in a long time.
I talked to the woman at the front desk. She brought us some wine glasses, but told me I'd have to pay for laundry detergent so I could wash the bath towels we are using for the beach. Nice.
Anyway, long story short: The view is lovely. But we won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013
Pearl City, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

The view was fantastic from the lanai. But, that's where it ends. We stayed here for the Memorial Day holiday with my in laws. The sheets smelled bad and the beds were grungy. The carpet was old, the bathroom towels were very rough and "well used." Kitchen was recently remodeled, which was ok. Our first night there yielded little sleep due to the critters making all kinds of interesting sounds.
Staff absent almost all the time. The emergency phone numbers didn't work. No one from Castle seemed to care at all after I finally got in touch with a national number, that we had animals living in the closet. Just our luck that they're nocturnal.
The beach itself (Hideaways) was awesome. This review only reflects the condo itself, not the beach or views. Next time we go to Princeville, we'll be staying in Hanalei.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle at Princeville, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience and we're glad you enjoyed our views of Hanalei Bay. Please be assured that we review all of our units on a regular basis and make upgrades whenever possible. Due to the subtropical climate we do have insects however we do routine maintenance sprays to help minimize this. We also do have a 24 hour emergency phone number which is 742-2200 for any concerns guest may have. We received your message regarding noises you have reported and tried sevaral times to contact you. We completed an inspection of the unit and did not find anything as we discussed on checkout.
Penryn, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I booked this condo online with a special 1/2 off price and was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations, everything was good. Our unit was on the point overlooking the ocean and received the PERFECT sunset views! Well stocked unit needing nothing else. The furniture is definitely dated but was comfortable. The units were built in the 70's and were updated in 1994 but maintained the 70's look so nothing fancy or modern there.

Stayed April 2012
CRHHNL, Manager at Castle at Princeville, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful remarks. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay while here on Kauai and you got to experience the wonderful views that we have to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mahalo
Jaymi Kaleiohi
San Clemente, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011 via mobile

Our room had clearly seen better days...bugs everywhere, dated furniture and a tired mattress, grimy carpets and bath towels that were probably about 20 yrs old. But the view over Hanalei bay was stupendous. If it weren't for the mosquitos, my family probably would have been better off sleeping on the lanai (it is, after all, what you're paying for at this place). Even with the view, my husband and I both agreed that for close to $200, this place was a rip-off. Better to call one of the local realty/property managers (like Oceanfront) and negotiate for a condo in Pu'u Poa. That's what we did when we checked out of this place.

• Stayed October 2011
CAP_Kauai, Manager at Castle at Princeville, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we’re glad you enjoyed our views of Hanalei bay. Please be assured that we review all of our units on a regular basis and make upgrades whenever possible. Due to the subtropical climate we do have insects however we do routine maintenance sprays to help minimize this.
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at the Hale Moi condos.

The condo was nice, had a gorgeous mountain view. You could watch the waterfalls multiply after the rain swept through and was amazing. The condo was clean and a reasonalbe price for the area. It was very quiet and in great walking distance to Queens Bath and hidden beaches, both of which was amazingly beautiful. The location was very quiet, except for the roosters on the island which seem to be unavoidable.

Two problems with the hotel:
1. There is no sign anywhere for Castle at Princeville and the office closes at 4:30pm. The office is in a separate sub-division. Mapquest does not show the location properly. We drove up and down the main strip about 5 times, since the office was closed, talking on the phone to someone on another island who had never been there. We kept being told it was next to a restaraunt called 'Saffron' that was either out of business or without signage at all. After spending 5 days in Kauai, it was the first frustrating experience. While signage is minimal in general in Kauai, they should really give better directions on how to check in. We booked through AAA and were not given good information. If we did not have a cell phone and a pen to write down the after hour number when we called the office number on the confirmation sheet, we would have never figured it out. Once we found the office and figured out the drop box code, it was fine. We checked out during office hours and the staff was very nice at that time.

2. There was evidence of bugs, although the roaches were dead so extermination seemed to be ongoing and acceptable. After living in Texas and Florida, it seemed fine to me, but my girlfriend was a little freaked out. There are bugs in HI so it must be a constant struggle to keep them under control. Letting guests know to keep all food in sealed containers (which were provided in the condo) or the fridge would have been great advice, and I recommend that to people who stay here.

Now that I know where to check in, I would stay there again. The scenery and beauty of the north shore is stunning.

Room Tip: The mountain views are really good
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle at Princeville? Share your experiences!