We have only been here two nights, but I already feel compelled to write this review to let others know what I wish I knew before booking. We are in unit 124.
First the good news: The views are as advertised. We have an ocean view condo and it is really lovely to look out over the grassy lawn and see the sea and mountains. Truly spectacular.
Now for the not so hot news: let me start by saying that I had NO expectations of this being a luxury property. But we have rented condos on Kauai in the past (at LOWER price points) so I did have some expectations of basic accommodations.
1. The place is a bit dirty. I'm talking about small bugs on the counters and the drawers sticking in the kitchen from grease and food build up. I had to scrub all the counters down. It should be said that I am NOT a clean freak. It was dirty.
2. The bathrooms were dirty, too. Weird stains in the toilet, stuck on grime on the doors to the laundry, etc...the kind of generalized yuck that builds up when a place had only been superficially cleaned for YEARS.
3. The outside furniture is filthy. You cannot sit on it. Needs a power washing, badly. We had to put our bath towels down to sit on it. ( Again, we are not fussy people- it takes a lot for me to complain about outdoor furniture.)
4. The windows are filthy. It's a million dollar view, for goodness sake and you are looking out over a layer of filmy grime.
5. The place has NOTHING in it. No beach towels, no wine glasses, no usable kitchen knife. My husband packed his Swiss Army knife- that's what we are using for food prep and passing it back and forth to eat. There is no left over cooking oil, spices, Sudan wrap, foil, not ONE piece of Tupperware. There are some plastic cups, two actual glass drinking glasses, and some silverware. The cooking materials are terrible. I'm talking about a crappy non stuck frying pan that the coating is chipping off of. It's bad. We talked to a local about it and she told us she used to be a housekeeper for a condo rental complex ( NOT this one) and that the housekeepers used to take anything left over. I don't know if this is what's happening, but the last time we rented a condo, it was clear the previous renters left some staples behind, and so did we when we left. This unit felt "cleaned out", but not cleaned up, if you know what I mean.
This unit feels like the owners haven't been here in a long time.
I talked to the woman at the front desk. She brought us some wine glasses, but told me I'd have to pay for laundry detergent so I could wash the bath towels we are using for the beach. Nice.
Anyway, long story short: The view is lovely. But we won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle at Princeville is set amid the beauty of Kauai's North Shore with scenic mountains streaming with waterfalls and spectacular views of Hanalei Bay. The resort offers a wide variety of moderate condominium units in three complexes. Each spacious suite features spectacular views overlooking Princeville's famous golf courses or coastline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Castle at Princeville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle At Princeville Hotel Princeville
- Castle At Princeville Kauai