“family friendly to the extreme!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Makai Club

You added Makai Club to your Saves list
Makai Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4180 Lei O Papa Road, Princeville, Kauai, HI 96722 (Formerly Wyndham Makai Club)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Torrance, California, United States
“family friendly to the extreme!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

We stayed for a week and loved the extra family loving front desk staff. We came in often to check out kid games and chairs. We felt so welcome. Highly recommended!! We love unit 404....steps from the pool.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
jdaronco, General Manager at Makai Club, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Amanda S,

Mahalo for your kind words about the Makai Club! We are so glad you had a great stay with us and we hope that you will return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Peyton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We were so excited when we arrived at the Makai Club Cottages. The rooms are so spacious. Beautiful views from several windows and Lanai's. The kitchen was very nice and had just the right amount of space. The bedrooms were awesome, beds very comfortable. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. We can't wait to visit again!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
jdaronco, General Manager at Makai Club, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Charbar01,

Mahalo for taking the time to review our resort. We are so gald you had a great stay and we anxiously await your next visit!
With warm aloha,
Julie
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I like to be able to cook when I travel, because I am a fussy eater. This place has a fantastic full kitchen, dishwasher, microwave, lots of cookware, two air conditioning units, tv, all the modern and fancy stuff. The bed is super comfortable, great lounge area, dining table, outdoor lanai. It is in a great location in Princeville, the pool and spa are love. There are bbq's there too, other guests were creating amazing smells from grilling meat and veggies. Best thing of all, the staff! Totally incredible! So helpful, friendly, relaxed, kind, just lovely. So much aloha. Will definitely return. Oh! take your mosquito repellant, it's so damp and humid up there on the North Shore, you'll be glad to find it in your bag when you hear that buzz.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Rachel049,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. It is great to hear that you found everything you needed within your rooms to make your stay even more enjoyable. In addition, we are so glad our staff was able to assist you with all your needs. Come back soon for another great vacation!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We have found this property to be a very nice place to stay. In the past we have always stayed at Bali' Hai but this place has them beat hands down. We are in the cottages, this is a wonderfully equipped 2 bedroom separate building we almost feel guilty with just the 2 of us here.

The staff is very friendly and accommodating. No timeshare pressure or orientation meeting, concierge service is excellent we are sitting here today wishing we didn't have to leave tomorrow.

Its a little noisy around the grounds but i think a lot of it is due to the sound echoing off the buildings and the chickens, well they are the chickens they aren't going away so get used to it if you don't like it I suggest a different island

Room Tip: Try to get one on the golf course side
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Dwhite5149,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. We're thrilled to hear that you had a great time staying in the cottages. It is also good to learn that our staff was very attentive and provided you with excellent service. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay!
Clemmons, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stay in timeshare units all the time. So, this one was on par with many we have stayed in. The reviews were not as good as the other places on Kauai but we booked late. We were totally fine with our unit. And they were very helpful at the front desk. It's a small community and not a ton of amenities but we weren't looking for those. We were there to see Hawaii, not for amenities. Our one bedroom unit was plenty large. The only downside was that there is no central air-conditioning. There was a unit in the living area and a unit in the bedroom. The air temperature throughout wasn't consistent, that's for sure, but it also wasn't a huge hindrance. The unit in the bedroom ran perfectly and could make the room like an ice chest if we wanted. The one in the living room had tons of space to cover so that area was not as cool. The bathroom and hallway weren't very cool at all because they were in the middle of the two areas. Still, don't let that deter you. It's not the newest timeshare but it has been maintained plenty well enough for it to be completely functional as a place to unpack and sleep and unwind. We would go here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello MusingsOnTravel,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the air conditioning units provided. However, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another stay in the near future!
Nixa, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Our stay here was great! It was a little difficult to find with the back gate closed but overall it was wonderful. It's close to Hanelai and a beautiful drive from Lihue. The room was clean and updated, and it was great to have a full kitchen and washer and dryer in the unit. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014
jdaronco, General Manager at Makai Club, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hi MilesandMia,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed staying with us. We hope you had a great time exploring all the local attractions and come back soon for another great time!
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I got this 2 bdrm, sleeps 6, property through my timeshare with Westgate Resorts for $199! We stayed 20-27 Jul 2014. What a great deal! First time on Kauai and enjoyed it. Flew my mom, sister and nephew from Oahu and my daughter & I joined from Cincinnati. Recommend ariving at Lihue Airport during the day. We arrived at 10 pm and Makai Club Resort is a 45 min drive. If you can get a resort closer to the airport, I'd recommend it. There are a ton of resorts as you leave the airport but trying to find Makai Club at night was hard because the further you drove, the less street lights there were, especially as you arrived into Princeville, the city the resort is located. Luckily, I rented a car with a navigation system (as my phone's mapquest wasn't working properly) and it took it us straight to the Makai Resort, where a gentleman was waiting for us to check in. The parking lot at the Makai Resort was not lit so the gentleman had to shine his flashlight on our cottage so we knew which one it was. It was pitch dark. Upon entering the cottage, which appeared small on the outside, it was quite roomy & comfortable inside. Two bedrooms with separate changing areas & bathrooms, extra pillows, flat screen TVs in each room (bedrooms and living room), full kitchen with microwave coffee pot (with 2 coffee starter packs of Kauai coffee (decaf, for some reason), blender, cookware, dishes, silverware, dish soap, etc.; separate washer/dryer with one detergent packet (.50 for extra packet). Dining area, balcony outside each room, to include living room (that had covered table/chairs for outside dining). There was an orientation the next day, that provided briefings on the different activities available on Kauai, each from a local company rep. A guest drawing allowed 5 families to win something. We won a buy one, get one free helicopter ride along the coast of Kauai, to places where you cannot get to by foot. Because I had my elderly mother with us, who wouldn't ride a helicopter, we exchanged our helicopter ride with another family, for the boat ride (again, buy one, get one free). My mom didn't want to leave land, so we didn't use the boat ride incentive, after all. Another evening, there were free pupus and mai tai drinks at the pool, to welcome guests & to get to know your neighbor, since it's a small resort. That was enjoyable, as they had non-alcoholic drinks for my teenager. My family toured Kauai on our own, visiting numerous beaches, caves, waterfalls, local restaurants & shops. Since we had a full kitchen, we cooked breakfast and most dinners in our kitchen, but if you plan to do this, don't shop at the nearby Foodland. It's the most expensive Foodland in Hawaii, we were told. It was true. For 5 of us, we spent $45+ for breakfast at Burger King. We never did that again. Venture 30 min out towards the airport and you'll find Safeway with more reasonable prices and selections. There was a local luau on uur last day, sponsored by the Canoe Club, for a reasonable price, and we were going to go, but had overbooked ourselves, so we bowed out. Makai Club Resorts is nestled on a golf resort that also has a tennis club. I played 2-4 hrs of tennis 2 days and got a free extensive tan! :D. Tennis clinics cost $15 for 1.5 hrs & then players invited me to play doubles and singles. What a great time! I borrowed the pro's racket and there was a nice tennis shop, with good deals but you can find cheaper ones on the economy.

The Makai office staff is very responsive. I asked for extra pillows and washer detergent and they were delivered almost immediately. Also, one morning, one of the cottage families was having a loud conversation at 3 am. It woke me up and then I was up for the day. I let the staff know and by the time they went to check it out, the family went inside & it was quiet. Quiet hours are 10 pm - 8 am. I really appreciated this. The staff should be commended for being very responsive.

The maid only comes once, on Wed, if you're on a week's stay. You have to clean up on your own or request extra towels, etc. if neede, but this was not a problem, since I read it in the guest manual.

My one complaint: AC. My reservation listed AC as one of the amenities. That was incorrect. The staff explained that AC is in their smaller rooms, not in the 2 bdrms. Fans ran non-stop for us, as the temps got into the high 80's. One day after playing tennis outside, I had to jump in the Makai Club pool, to cool off because the fans just didn't cool me off. A few times after being out all day, touring the island, and upon entering the lodge, I would have liked to feel the AC. I didn't use my curling or straight iron on my hair because it was just too hot and sticky to use. With a nice resort like this, I would have preferred to have AC.

Other than the AC issue, this trip was well worth it and we would come again but would probably opt to stay closer to the airport, where most shops are located.

Room Tip: All the rooms were good but I would choose one with AC, if you don't need 2 bdrms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
jdaronco, General Manager at Makai Club, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hi Polygal,
Thank you for providing us with all your feedback. We're delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. It is also good to learn that you enjoyed many of the guest amenities provided and that you participated in some of the activities hosted. We apologize for not providing you with an AC unit during the time of your stay. We do hope you come back soon for another great vacation!
Mahalo nui loa,
Julie DaRonco

Been to Makai Club? Share your experiences!