“Units 4304, 4305 and 4306 (430456) are dated and lack necessities” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hanalei Bay Resort

Summer Sale
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Princeville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County
“Units 4304, 4305 and 4306 (430456) are dated and lack necessities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family stayed in this 3 bedroom condo ("430456," VRBO #3254149ha) for a week in January 2013 and were disappointed. While the units (4304, 4305 and 4306) have great balcony views and are close to the beach trail, the lack of utensils, poor quality of cookware, old televisions and appliances and dusty bedspreads made for a disappointing stay.

The filthy cookware should have been discarded a long time ago and we counted four random spoons in a condo that's supposed to sleep 10. The TVs, refrigerator and washer/dryer are dated but functional. There is no wireless Internet option in the condo so cell phones and tablets must be used closer to the pool to take advantage of the resort's free wifi. The air conditioners in 4304 and 4305 had broken remotes (could not read the LCD) and otherwise did not perform well in keeping the units cool. The toilet in 4305 overflowed and the one in 4306 barely flushes at all -- which is probably why a plunger sits next to it.

The Hanalei Bay Resort is nice in and of itself, offering beach towels, a nice swimming pool, "Mai Tai Mondays," and golf cart transportation, but I strongly recommend considering another unit, especially considering how much these units rent for. Expect to get inundated with fees and costly options, too: check-in fee, resort fee, local management fee, optional wired Internet fee, optional travel insurance, cleaning fee, optional accidental rental insurance, etc.

The "starter kit" of toilet paper, paper towels and laundry/dish soap was appreciated, but expect a dated interior with sub-par necessities at an otherwise good location with a great view.

Room Tip: Avoid units 4304, 4305 and 4306 in the Palms building. Many of the condos here are privately owned...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

1,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Turlock, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I absolutely regret booking this hotel for our honeymoon. The room was very dated and seemed dirty. There were black things on our bedspread which I originally thought was rat feces, but after investigation, we believe it was part gecko feces, and part mold that flew off of the heating/AC unit right above our bed. Only turned that thing on once... There was a plug for our tub, but if not using it, there is just a big open hole to drain. We stayed there for 7 nights and our room was only cleaned ONCE. Apparently, they charge for daily cleaning service and daily towel service and parking and resort fees.... That means we had coffee in our room only one time, upon our initial arrival. They didn't even restock our coffee the one time they cleaned our room. I booked this hotel in part by reading other people's good reviews. I dont know what they're talking about! This place calls itself a "resort" but it has no resort amenities. The bar/restaurant burnt down I guess last year sometime, so there is no place to get food or drinks on the property. Mostly, we were disappointed with our room. We asked to be changed to a different one for the following reasons and they said they don't have any nicer/more updated rooms. So, we were stuck. Also, the TV is an older one (no problem there) but you are not able to rent a movie through the TV, or even watch a redbox (as we attempted to do) because there is no DVD player. You can walk down to the St. Regis and enjoy their bar and beautiful view. But it is a little bit of a trek on hilly terrain. You can call a cart to pick you up and take you anywhere on the property, but often you have to wait several minutes to make it not even worth your wait. THe only thing this place has going for it are nice employees and a beautiful view of Hanalei Bay. The front desk employee said the hotel has recently been under new management. It is apparent that in every aspect, they are trying to cut corners and save money. I'm usually fine staying in a 3 star hotel, however in my opinion, this one is more like (if not worse than) a Motel 6. Trust me, this place is not worth the money you would save. We passed one nice room that was being cleaned (it had granite countertops and a redone kitchen) but maybe that was someone's condo. Unsure why the staff said that all rooms are like the one we were in. Oh, I almost forgot when we got there was a huge mixup and we were getting settled into our "room" and they called and said they'd made a mistake. They sent a cart to pick us and our luggage up and took us to our correct room. I can tell you the first one was as dirty and the second. But the first room had a kitchenette and washer/dryer unit.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

After hours of researching many hotels and resorts in Hanalei, I was just about ready to suck it up and pay $565 per night for the St Regis hotel. Luckily I found this place and look forward to staying again! We aren't the touristy vacationers, while we do like some luxury, we prefer adventure and down to earth comfort. We like the feeling of living in a location, not visiting it. This resort has a lovely pool, fantastic beach with plenty of kayaks and snorkel gear, lovely grounds and breathtaking views. They have someone driving a golf cart around the resort to take you to the beach, pool or your room quicker if you'd like. We only stayed one night before we made the 11 mile hike out to Kalalau beach and we wish we had spent more time at the condos. The staff is super friendly, the lady at reception even took down our phone number and called us to make sure we made it out of our hike safely! If you are looking for marble floors, symmetrical palm trees and the standard "American tourist" hotel this isn't what you are looking for. This is the comfort of home in the paradise of Hawaii. Having said that: our taxi driver told us the St Regis' rooms are small and not special at all. So glad we saved $400 a night and had a washer/dryer in our condo.

New Vernon, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This a great value/location. The hotel experienced a big fire awhile ago so the restaurant, gym, etc. is in the proccess of being rebuilt. No onsite dining at this time. Not a big deal as the center of Princeville is about a mile away. Better yet, drive the five hiles or so to Hanaia for more choices. The pool is magnificent and there was never a crowd. It was easy to find a private spot. We booked a hotel room ($115/night). I was hoping for an ocean view, but the hotel only offers woodland views. In retrospect this was a great choice. Dead silent all night, but when the sun rises, the wildlife comes to life, very cool. No alarm clock needed here! (we sleep with the door open, screened).
The bedroom part of the room was freasly renovated, but the bath was very tired (I was told they are currently upgrading the bathrooms).
Overall a nice location with an easy walk to the beach. If you prefer there are lots of carts/drivers to shuttle you around, but we prefer the exercise from walking. FYI, we learned that ALL beaches on Hawaii are public so you may use the $600.00 a night hotel beach next door and they will leave you alone. A car is a must at this time for dining. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Until the restaurant is rebuilt a car is a must for dining.
Kauai, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed in units 1523-1524 for a week. The booking through Tingo was very easy, so that's one good point. This place appears to be a hotel converted to condos, so I had adjoining rooms: one side of the adjoining room door had a bedroom and full bath, while the other side had a small kitchen, a living/dining room with a sofa bed and a full bath. There were definitely more ants than I have ever experienced in my 15 years of traveling to the north shore of Kauai, but they were only a minor inconvenience. The units, while clean, are in serious need of upgrading. For instance, the refrigerator, although in good working condition, had rust stains from where condensation has been dripping from the corners over the years. The bathrooms also lacked fans so that after a shower, the place fogged up, and the airconditioning -- and its dehumdifier function -- doesn't reach into the bathroom. The view out the lanai/balacony was quite nice, and the furniture was comfortable. Although I did not watch much TV, something larger than a very small tube type unit would have been nice. The kitchen sink was too small to fit other than a small plate.

Now to my list of bad points. As mentioned, I paid and booked through Tingo up front. But, upon check-in, and as mentioned by Tingo, you are assessed a one-time resort check-in fee of $25, plus $5 for each day of your stay. The Tingo write-up said that there was maid service. It turns out the daily maid service was $30 per day, AND daily towel service was an additional $10 per day. I opted not to do those. I did actually get maid service once during the week.

Tingo stated that Internet was available in the room and in the lobby and pool areas. I called to ahead of time to ask about Internet service because I needed to have connectivity during my stay. I was told by the front desk staff that in-room service was via Ethernet and that there would be a $40 charge to use it for the week. Upon check-in I asked about paying for Internet service, and the front desk person said I was to do this from my room. When I plugged the Ethernet cord into my computer, nothing happened. I tried rebooting the box in my room -- I know to do this because, like most of the rest of us, I have had to do this in other places -- and nothing happened. I called the front desk and reported that the Internet connection in my room was not working. What was the response? It was, "Yes, we know it's not working in that room." Huh? Why wasn't this mentioned when I checked before my trip, or when I checked in?? I was told to come to the lobby or go to the pool for Wi-Fi. I responded that this was unacceptable because I had some serious work I needed to do. The response was that nothing could be done, because it was a problem with the cable and Internet provider. OK, I said, and then asked about calling the cable company myself. Response, and I am not making this up, was, "I don't know about that, but perhaps I could ask the cable repair guy standing next to me here. He's here for repairs, but you are not on the list." OMG! Then I heard the front desk person asking the cable repair guy if he could also stop into my unit. The cable guy agreed and very shortly appeared at my door to do the repair -- the box was faulty, and he replaced it.

I also had additional run-ins with the front desk when I asked about late check-out, as my departure flight was not until 11 pm, while check-out time was 10 am. When I first called the front desk, I was told I needed to check back closer to my departure date. I checked again two days prior to my departure and was told the same thing, i.e., check closer to my departure date -- tomorrow! -- and that there would be a lot of departures and arrivals. I then decided that the day before my departure, it might be better to talk to the front desk in person. I engaged the front desk person in conversation and was told I needed to go ask the property manager. I took a short walk to the property manager, explained my situation, and was immediately told that I could have late check-out for a very reasonable fee. The property manager also asked why I had come to her and not check with the front desk. I replied that the front desk person had sent me there, and the property manager rolled her eyes.

Here I must apologize for my long review, but after all of the great reviews about this place on TripAdvisor, I simply had to write this bad review. I have traveled for many, many years and to many places around the globe, but this place stands out as providing one of the worst travel experiences I've had. The only reasonI give it a "poor" instead of "terrible" is that the location is good and the bathrooms were in good working condition.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was my second stay in unit #4222 and there is a reason I came back to this unit in particular. One is the view which is beyond spectacular of Hanalei Bay (whitewater view of surf break to gauge size of waves) and the unit itself. I have stayed in other units at HBR but I can tell you that this unit is not only spacious, cozy, modern, etc. it is beyond complete! Having a full kitchen with pots, pans, silverware, plates, coffee maker, toaster, blender, etc. makes a huge difference in your spending since it minimizes the need to eat out. Since we stayed for two weeks in the unit it helped us save money on food and since there are no restaurants nearby (St. Regis and Princeville Center are the closest) it is a critical factor. The furniture, bedding, TV's, amenities, are all in fantastic condition and there is sporting equipment available also like tennis rackets, boogie boards, snorkeling gear, etc. Although this is a pricier unit than others the additional cost is offset by the view and the amenities. HBR is an older property but the view (did I mention the view?), proximity to the ocean, pool, jacuzzi, and location make it charming, fun, and idyllic for us. Perfect for the entire family or just a couple that want to treat themselves to the bomb accommodations without staying at the St. Regis! General Notes: Listing description is accurate. Photos don't do it justice. Clean & Well Maintained. Owner is beyond helpful and professional. I would recommend this property to anyone! Another great thing about this unit is the fact that since it can rain alot on the North Shore, the view from this unit is so magnificent that you can stay indoors and still enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: View from this unit is incredible. You can't see the actual surf break of Hanalei but you can se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
jebett, Owner at Hanalei Bay Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Mahalo for the lovely review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in my island home. I must admit that view of the surf is pretty exciting during the winter.
There will be exciting new things happening at the resort in the next year. The restaurant, Bali Hai, is being rebuilt, the bar refurbished, there will be a brand new indoor outdoor fitness center and more suprises to be announced. I can't wait for your return to my second home so you can enjoy all the resort has to offer. Hurry back....
Joan Bettencourt
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The unit (1557-1558) we stayed in was perfect. The location is amazing. You can walk to an amazing beach in 5-10 minutes and swim/snorkel with sea turtles. This place is amazing. The view is spectacular. The condo is equipped with everything you need and more. It is 5-10 minutes easy walk to a wonderful beach where you can snorkel and swim with large sea turtles. Don't hesitate to rent this place for your vacation. So much better than a hotel.

Room Tip: 1557 or 1558 or both if you can. We had the 2 units and it felt like we were home. Also being the la...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hanalei Bay Resort? Share your experiences!