“Nearly perfect, outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, USA
“Nearly perfect, outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Spent 10 days at the resort and it exceeded our expectations.

Most of the staff were exceptional and genuinely friendly. They truly seem to go out of their way more than they really had to.

The Jean-Georges restaurant was superb, focusing on local, fresh ingredients. To have a restaurant of this caliber in such a remote area is unique. The breakfasts were excellent as well, and the views from everywhere are some of the most dramatic you will find anywhere in the world. The beach was just beautiful as well.

The only negatives were the outrageous prices at the gorgeous lounge and beach bar ($22 and $16 respectively for an average glass of wine), and there were too many unruly children (I guess you cannot blame the hotel for that). Otherwise, just about perfect, we would readily return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the new St. Regis. There couldn't have been a nicer place to spend our 25th wedding anniversary! Our room was beautiful, the staff was extremely polite and attentive, and the food all tasted excellent. We especially enjoyed our couple’s massage – we have had several massages in the past, but we both agreed that this one was the best! Also, the new luau on the Makana Terrace was very enjoyable – and the food was fantastic!

There were only a couple of instances where service was extremely slow (waiting for coffee in our room one morning, and waiting for hors d'oeuvres one evening in the lobby), but other than that, I had no complaints whatsoever.

If you're looking for bargain prices, then the St. Regis won't be what you're looking for. But if you want to feel like royalty, this is the place for you! By the way, internet is free in the lobby area.

We look forward to returning to the St. Regis in Princeville, and we've already recommended it to friends traveling to Kauai in July. We've been home for less than a week, and we miss it already!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I loved every minute of my stay!

Check in was pleasant- we were given leis by the valet, juice at the check in desk.
The lobby is beautiful. The chandelier in the center of lobby with the lotus fountain below is fabulous. We came in before 3pm so our room wasn't ready- but it gave us time to check out the ridiculous view! The lobby bar has an amazingly breathtaking view. It's like you have a view to the edge of the earth- with a coastal mountainscape and the pacific ocean going out to seemingly infinity.

So an interesting fact if you make a reservation- the lobby seems ground level but is actually the 9th floor of the hotel. It's built into the side of a cliff apparently. So there's two different sets of elevators to get down to the beach. This wasn't a problem for us because we were on the 3rd floor and I was more interested in being closer to the beach. Which by the way, we had an amazing corner room with a view of the beach/pool area and the ocean.

I really truly felt I was in paradise on my own private island. We came in on Wednesday so there wasn't much of a crowd. I felt like I owned the place. It was so quiet and serene. . .once Friday came it got a little busier. They have a kid's club daycare type situation- but a warning for honeymooners- there is no separate kids' pool area- so they will be running and screaming and crying around the pool. Which, by the way, the pool is amazing!! A must: Float in the infinity pool facing the ocean.

I've briefly read over some of the other reviews- most of the other stuff is true- it is expensive- drinks (cheapest I saw is the Bloody Mary Menu at $12 but they come in small highball glasses), food, etc. I was surprised to read the gentleman's review regarding his "13th visit"- maybe he came at an unlucky time. Most of the service issues he encountered I did not notice- but not to say it's not true. We did have power strip outlets behind the nightstand next to the bed and no one had any problem with my picture taking. I took pictures of and around the whole hotel, lobby included, with flash. His review could have changed some things though. Here's my breakdown:

Cleanliness: I rated average. Even though we had maid service everyday- and impressively I hardly saw them around with the carts in the hall- they will come by early and frequently so leave your DND on your door. I was disappointed that we were there for 3 nights and our toiletries were not replenished. Some glasses and used dishes were also not taken from our room. But not really any kind of deal breaker for me. The hotel overall is spotless. You won't find a grain of sand.

Service: Everyone is super nice and friendly. Bartenders are great- we came by past closing time and they were still there and served us anyway which was nice. I did find a couple of the pool guys odd. We had one that seemed like a stoner. He would also run past us whenever a few other women beckoned him even though we were kept waiting. The towel guys were great and they have nice smelling sunscreen poolside.

Location: Unbelievable- I've never stayed anywhere like it- the view is amazing. Each night is a sell-out show on the lobby balcony facing the ocean for sunset

Value: I rated the value low because besides what you have to pay to stay- everything is soo expensive. I found Hawaii expensive in general but $16 for a cocktail seemed a lot. I did see people BYOB around the pool and beach area. And on top of that, you feel the need to tip everyone for everything.

Rooms: We had a really good one. My only complaint is that if you're facing the beach/pool/ocean, there should be a balcony. What I found amazing though- I think it's sound-proofed- I never heard a sound from outside even though we were facing the pool.

We only had room service and ate poolside once. It's all okay- hotel food. I would stay away from the coffee shop. The food there was not good and the coffee was terrible!!!!!

Overall it was super pricey- but if I had the chance I would come back.

Kapaa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband and I spent our wedding night at your hotel on May 16th. We live on Kauai but hadn't been to hotel since the remodel. We were so impressed! The hotel was beautiful before now it's stunning. The service we received was unlike anything we've ever experienced before. My husband I came in late from our wedding reception but there was someone to greet us at the door with a lei and the lady at eh check-in desk was friendly and chipper even though it was almost midnight. Room service was timely and polite. When we went to the pool the next day service was amazing down there too. Thank you for making our wedding night and next day relaxing and memorable. When we feel the need to "get away" all we have to do is drive to north shore and stay at the st. regis. A perfect getaway even for the locals.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on our 2nd leg of our honeymoon. The views at the hotel are really incredible. We got upgraded to super premium ocean view, which gave a us corner room with a spectacular view of the ocean and sunset. Breakfast in the morning at the makana terrace was also nice, you overlook the mountains and bay. I do have some complaints though: Drinks are $16, which ok you are at a 5 star resort but come on, Ive stayed at other resorts before and they usually range 10-12. I also ordered a sprite for my wife and the bartender pours a 20 oz bottle into a highball and charges me $6!!!! I said to him, I hope there are free refills, and he replied no sir. SO everyone staying here I would stock up your room with soft drinks and booze if you dont want to spend that much. They also charge $16 dollars a night for valet.

All in all we did have a great time and there are a few places close by that you much try for dinner: postcards cafe and haneli dolphin(best sushi place ever), both these restaurants are well priced and the food is great!

Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

We would have rated this hotel 5 star except that a large group came in from Fireman's Fund and they basically took over the hotel so service slipped due to the large amount of guests. Even with the slip, we thought that the Staff at the St Regis were some of the nicest folks we have met. They really tried their very best to make our 25th Wedding Anniversary very special.

Rooms were nicely remodeled. The pool /beach area was really great with plenty of umbrellas, shade and very friendly towel and beach service. The Kauai Grill was fantastic and the Makana Terrace for dinner was very good.

Venturing out of the resort, our favorite lunch was at Kilaeua Fish Market by the Lighthouse. Super fresh grilled fish. We did not have the AHI wrap but it did look absolutely amazing. We wanted to try the other fresh fish. Best Quality, locals spot.

We really enjoyed the area. Driving to all the various beaches past Hanalei Bay. Do not miss a trip to the Limahuli ancient gardens. Wonderful views and hiking trails.

We would return to the St Regis due to the relaxing atmosphere, wonderful views and staff.

Klamath Falls, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

The bar sits over Hanelei Bay (from the movie South Pacific), it sits a North Side bluff and looks over the whole bay as the sun sets. You have to catch one drink here one sunset at least if you can find a chair. It is a million dollar view and you'll pay for it, but just enjoy it, I don't know if you will find another setting like it anywhere... Absolutely one of the best bar views I have ever seen. We didn't stay here, but just visited the bar for one sunset and it was worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!