“It was great” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Princeville
“It was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Great location, awesome rooms, views and service with the icest staff ever.

Stayed December 2007, traveled with family

1,516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

The St. Regis Princeville and the North Shore are beautiful - the hotel's location is in an amazing spot and the views are great. Overall, the food is excellent at both the Makana Terrace and the Kauai Grille. In fact, the food at Kauai Grille was the best food we had on our entire trip to Hawaii. (Note: the prices at the resort and spa are expensive so be prepared to ignore them. For more affordable eating options, I would venture into Hanalei - there are some nice places with reasonable prices such as the Hanalei Dolphin. Postcards is only OK. Bar Acuda is good but it has a limited menu.) The rooms are clean, well decorated, and the beds are amazingly comfortable. My only complaint about the room is the lack of lanai / balcony. On warm weather vacations, it is nice to have some outdoor space (unless you book a room on the ground level by the pool, I do not think there are many options for outdoor space) .

That said, the weather is so unpredictable and inconsistent that I would have to think twice before returning. We were there at the very end of April / beginning of May (which supposedly is the beginning of the dry season) and the weather was awful - it rained 60 - 70 % of the time - not my idea of a Hawaiian vacation. So if you are going to go, I would go to the North Shore in the summer when it is supposed to be less wet, and if you go in the winter months (Nov - April), I would stay on the South Shore where it is dry year-round, or so everyone claims. Also, I got a different answer or explanation everytime I asked the concierge or anyone else at the resort about the weather forecast -some said the rain was clearing up, others didn't know because "this is Kauai - the weather changes minute to minute" - on the whole, i found it frustrating. Some people on the resort traveled to the south side for sun at the sister resort, but that drive is at least 45 minutes away, and I wasn't paying $600 / night to hang out at another resort. On top of that, there is not much to do in the rain. One employee at the concierge told me that I could still swim and snorkel in the rain - while that may sound like fun to some, it's not to me - odd that the concierge could not come up with other things to do in the rain. We decided to explore the local towns, which was fun for a day. Also, on one of the days it rained, the power went out in the afternoon, and when many guests congregated in the bar to drink and eat, it was closed and remained closed so there was no opportunity to buy drinks or food unless you went to the pool which was desolate. Also, when we asked for late checkout upon arrival, the hotel refused to confirm it until the night before and also informed us that we would have to pay extra to keep the room past 2 pm - seriously? Finally, the fitness center is average. Some other resorts in Hawaii have mixed indoor / outdoor space for working out which is really nice.

At the end of the day, the hotel is beautiful and the views are stunning, but when you are paying a significant chunk of change to stay there, the weather is just too risky. No one wants to pay thousands of dollars to hang out in the rain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I loved this place so much. I don't have much bad to say, however, I beg of you, if you have kids...why would you bring them on a romantic Kauai getaway? The St. Regis probably doesn't mind having your kids, but when your room (and most do) faces the ocean and pool, hearing your kid swimming and screaming in the pool or on your balcony at 8 am is NOT romantic, nor cute and is just plain poor parenting.

Pros of this beautiful property:
Small touches-great bathroom supplies, slippers and water at turndown, great views from room, Lei upon arrival, friendly staff, coffees & teas in room, sunscreen at pool, pool staff, big bathroom with tub and 2 sinks. Ice water available at pool.The bed is awesome! 42" plasma with ipod dock. Bar had nice acoustic singer. Warm water pool-very clean, same with jacuzzi.

Cons:
It's difficult to come and go with surf board, loud kids at pool (right outside your room), valet (kind of inconvenient when you want to come and go and they have plenty of space for a self park lot), No fridge, ice only at turndown, very pricey drinks at pool-mixed drink is about $14 average, No balcony on most rooms, no free wi-fi (this should be a given).
We did have an issue with dinner at the Grill as we got seated, and waited, waited, waited---we finally left because we were there about 25 minutes w/o even a drink. We were surprised the next day with a handwritten apology and gift in our room.
We also had a 45 minute problem with them locating our car at valet. This was quite irritating since the lot is about a 20 second walk away.
Even though there were some hiccups, they are trying very hard and I would still go back. It's a pricey place to stay at, but we knew we were in for that. If you are on any type of budget, this would not be the place for you..The Westin Princeville, right down the road is a better choice for budget minded travel..we stayed there 4 nights, full kitchen and grill and very relaxing w/o all the fuss at the St. Regis..but it all depends what you are looking for on your vacation. But please, if you bring your kids- rent a house somewhere where we don't have to listen to them in the pool or balconies! Kauai is for lovers, not screaming toddlers!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Princeville, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

This hotel was absolutely worth it. I got more than my money's worth and stayed at the nicest and most beautiful hotel on the island!

If you are every in Kauai -- you owe it to yourself to stay at this hotel. You will not regret it one bit.

• Stayed April 2010
StRegis, Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Aloha,

On behalf of the management and staff of The St. Regis Princeville Resort, I would like to thank you for your time in posting this review. We treasure your comments and I have personally passed on your kinds words to our entire team.

Though I am responding to this review specifically, I would like to acknowledge everyone who has invested their time into sharing their thoughts of our resort. I am certainly proud to receive the positive comments but I also take the other reviews seriously as feedback for improvement.

We are pioneering the St Regis brand in Hawai’i and as we build our reputation we are thankful that you have selected The St. Regis Princeville Resort for your vacation plans. This resort is blessed to be located in one of the most beautiful places on our planet.

Our wonderful staff fully embraces the true Spirit of Aloha and are honored to share their island home of Kaua’i with our guests.

When your travel plans bring you to Kaua’i again, it will be my personal pleasure to welcome you back to The St. Regis Princeville Resort

With warmest aloha,

Milton Sgarbi
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stayed our final two nights in Kauai at the St. Regis. Everyone was very nice and accomodating. The most remarkable thing about this place is the view. For that reason, I highly recommend getting a room with an ocean view. It's worth the extra cash. Every time I looked out our window the scene was different and it was just amazing.

Of course this place is expensive so be prepared to spend some money if you are going to hang around the hotel all day. It's also a massive hotel so be prepared to do some walking to get around.

I recommend breakfast on the outdoor patio. The food and service were outstanding and we had a rainbow appear each morning.

The only complaint I have is they charged for parking. I wish they would just figure this into the price of the hotel. It's seems a little petty to get your bill and see a charge for this at such an expensive hotel.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

This hotel is absolutely breathtaking - from the views (best in the world), to the location on the north side of the island, to the accommodating staff - it is truly first class. The beds were super comfy and the amenities were GREAT!

You will definitely pay for it but if you're willing to spend the money, it's worth it! My husband and I spent the first 4 days of our honeymoon there....and I wish we could have stayed there the entire time :).

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

The St. Regis is absolutely beautiful. The staff across the board (besides the sommelier at the Kauai Grill) was wonderful. I got my hair and make-up done at the spa/salon before my wedding and they could not have done a better job. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, but warn them that everything is very expensive there. A regular mixed drink was $16...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!