“They do a lot "right" at the St Regis” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Princeville
“They do a lot "right" at the St Regis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I recently spent three nights at the St Regis Princeville. The are world class at welcoming guests and getting them settled. The front desk person was amazing ... and upgraded my room since this was the first time I was at the hotel. The views from the room were amazing. The staff was first rate. The location is beautiful and peaceful. My only disappointment was the fitness center. It was only a slight step up from a Holiday Inn. I have spent time at over 10 resorts in Hawaii and I have to say the St Regis has the poorest fitness center. Recommendation: Move the fitness center to a place where it takes advantage of the location/views rather than put in in the closed off part of the hotel and expand the equipment. With the exception of the fitness center ... this place is the best in Hawaii.

Room Tip: You MUST get a room with a view of the bay!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

1,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We visited St. Regis Princeville for our honeymoon and received an upgrade to the St. Regis Suite (with Butler Service). The entire butler team is incredible and even brought me cough drops when I had a sore throat!

The setting of this hotel is remarkable and you will see THE best sunsets on the entire island.

The quality of the food is outstanding as well and the Mai Tai's from the hotel lobby are an absolute must.

The hotel has a chill vibe so if you want a party this is not the place for you. If you want relaxation and amazing service this is definitely the place for you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We spent a week here on our honeymoon in November and as soon as we stepped out of the car we had nothing but excellent service, great views and amazing food and drinks the entire time. We stayed in a mountain/garden view and it was phenomenal. I am not sure if they upgraded us since we were on our honeymoon or if that truly was a mountain/garden view but we feel no need to upgrade when we return (hopefully sooner than later!). Our view overlooked Hanalei Bay with a glimpse of Bali Hai and the wide open ocean to the right. There was a little bit of a blocked view from the elevator building but we hardly noticed. The bell hops and valet treated us like close friends with each coming and going and offered up their secret surf and hiking spots. The cost was quite high for food and drinks (2 beers for $20 with tip) but somehow the view and service made it all ok.
Since this is a review site and not praise site; my only complaint would be for the service at the Kauai Grill. We made reservations for Thanksgiving sunset dinner months in advance to get a primo table. We arrived and the staff was running behind so we had to wait to be let into the restaurant along with 5 other parties. Our server was nice but not attentive. We were there 2.5 hours for a party of 2 and of the 5 other tables that were sat at the same time as us, all of them were paid and gone before we even received our dinner. I wouldn't hold this against the hotel though and the servers at the Makana Terrace, St. Regis bar and pool more than made up for it.
At times it was almost as though they were listening in to our conversations because as soon as we'd say "I wish they had....here" the next day it was there. Kind of eery how that kept happening but we had fun with it.

Room Tip: Room 508 (mnt/garden view) was the place to be. No need to upgrade to other rooms in our opinion.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The resort is located at the very end of the Princeville development, on the beach. This used to be a Sheraton before and it is apparent at places – the exterior of the building looking from the beach, elevators etc. But overall it is definitely more St Regis.
Our favorite part of the resort was:

- Location. Close to Hanalei town, on the beach etc;
- We ate at the bar one night and at Bar Acuda (Spanish tapas) in Hanalei bay town. Both great choices. If you decide to go to Bar Acuda, do make reservations. The valet also recommended The Tavern which is in Princeville and is a part of the Roy’s restaurants group. We did not eat here;
- Nice beach – nice lounge chairs – never crowded when we were there. Mostly private (there were a few non-St Regis guests but not too many). Our favorite part was ordering drinks and food on the beach;
- Nice large heated pool;
- Concierge service – one of the best I have ever seen. I interacted with two concierge during our stay and one over email prior to trip – each once excellent. The one over email was superb – I told (I think the name was Jody) the individual that we were traveling with a child and things we could do on our way from airport to resort. The recommendations I received were very tailored keeping the child in mind, which I really appreciated.

Not so nice
- We booked breakfast package. On Sundays they have brunch and so breakfast buffet is only available until 9 AM. We were told that we should get there by 8:15 if we wanted to enjoy it as they start clearing just before 9. Our other option that was initially offered was upgrade to brunch for around $30 each. I was not interested in getting to breakfast at 8:15 on vacation and neither were we interested in brunch. The guest services finally transferred me to front desk without explaining the issue to them (so I had to repeat the whole thing again which was frustrating). The front desk person said the same thing. I asked for the duty manager and after sometime received a call from the F&B manager who said they offer an ala carte breakfast on Sundays for breakfast packages and we can order anything that would otherwise have been in the buffet. This option, of course, was completely fair and acceptable. One should not have to talk to 3 different people to know all their options.
- Parts of the hotel feel more Sheraton than St Regis.

Overall, I would recommend this resort in a heartbeat and try to book a rate that includes breakfast assuming the difference is not more than $30 to $40 for 2 individuals, compared to non-breakfast rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

A few friends and I celebrated one of our birthdays here the week of Thanksgiving. My first moment of awe was the moment I laid eyes on the ocean from the wide, grand lobby area and then to see it again outside my hotel room. Drop-dead gorgeous. The premium ocean view room I had was tastefully appointed, with very soft high thread-count linens, a seating area that included a window seat to look at that incredible view, and a spacious marble-clad bathroom with great toiletries that I'd use again and again. The staff here is incredibly friendly and helpful-that Aloha spirit? They made each of us feel really special. Finally, the daily breakfast out on at the Makana Terrace is the absolute way to start a perfect day. The food is very good, and couple that with the environs, the views, and you've got a winner. I see why this resort remains rated #1 in Princeville. It's paradise within paradise.

• Stayed November 2012
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We loved it, the hotel is very well decorated and it's very spacious. The rooms are fantastic with stunning views of the surrounding landscape.

The staff at the front desk was fantastic and very helpful.

The pool is great and is located at a beautiful beach with stunning views, those are to die for.

The only downside of the hotel is the staff at the breakfast which is not very attentative. Considering that this is a very expensive hotel, I would have expected much more professional staff.

Another negative aspect is that you have to pay quiet a substantial fee for valet parking, but you also realise that the guys who do the parking for you expect a big tip (considering the kind of hotel they work for) so you easily end up spending at least $50 on parking alone per day.

Nevertheless I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If there is a more beautiful spot on the planet than the view from the St. Regis overlooking Hanalei Bay, Kauai, I haven't seen it yet. Picture this: an azure bay filled with surfers and paddle surfers with the spectacular Mt. Makena looming behind them on the horizon. That's the view we had from the balcony on our room at the St. Regis.

But the view is only the beginning of what was a travel experience of a lifetime.

The service was wonderful. Somehow, the waitstaff, desk clerks, and valets all seemed to know our name. How do they do that? However they do it, it's a sign of singular training on the part of hotel management.

The hotel has several restaurants, but our favorite by far is Makena Terrace. It's situated outdoors, with the same wonderful view of Mt. Makena and the bay. If you go, be sure to find out what time the sunset will occur and get a reservation about 30-45 minutes prior to the sunset. You will not forget it. (And be sure to bring your camera.) The food is beautifully presented, with--appropriately--a menu featuring primarily seafood.

Be sure to check out the morning breakfast buffet--simply outstanding. Although it's rather expensive, you won't need to eat lunch.

The hotel has a small but lovely private beach. Beach chairs and pool chairs are meticulously attended to by the pool staff who will be happy to bring you lunch or liquid refreshment through the day.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable, and are equipped with Starwood's exceptional Heavenly Bed, so you feel like you're sleeping on a cloud.

Warning: nothing about the St. Regis is cheap, so if you're looking for low prices, this is not the place to be. But for a big splurge, it's a great choice.

Room Tip: Get a reservation at Makena Terrace about a half hour before sunset. The sunsets are beautiful and p...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!