“Ninth visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Princeville
Cambria, California
“Ninth visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at The Princeville regularly since 2002. This was our third visit since the renovation a couple of years ago. The ambience, personalized service, improved decor of the hotel as well as the special attention from all of the staff made this our best stay! The breakfast Buffett is as outstanding as ever - papaya every morning. It was wonderful to see Claradeen and Jimmy again. The beach area is smoothed every morning. Bar service is fast and friendly, an improvement over our last visit. FYI Internet in the room is free. The overnight parking charge is now $30.00 daily. I wish to acknowledge Millton Sgarbi, General Manager, for his special attention that made this stay so memorable. Scott, the concierge, was my wife's SCUBA buddy for a day at the South Shore! Our next stay in June will be the 10th and my wife's birthday as well. Well done Princeville, can't wait to see you again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Aloha jackbenimble38,

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a wonderful and gracious review about your most recent stay. We truly value our returning guests and we are pleased to hear that our staff has providing such exceptional service. I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager, Mr. Sgarbi. He sincerely loves to hear feedback from our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in June and please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your wife's Birthday even more bespoke during your time here.

With warmest aloha and Happy Holidays,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Doylestown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

As a Platinum SPG member, this was our first time at a St. Regis, and was one of our best experiences with the resort and its service. On our trip to Kauai, we decided to stay 2 nights at the Westin and 2 nights at the St. Regis in Princeville. Upon arriving to the hotel, we were pleasantly greeted at the valet and the front desk by Jessica (front desk supervisor). Our room was not ready as we had checked-in early, but after providing our cell phone number and walked around the resort area, Jessica called us within 20 minutes to let us know the room was ready.

We had booked the room with cash and points and I had applied 2 suite awards for an upgrade to a junior suite. They upgraded us even more to a junior suite with a terrace having a view of the Hanalei Bay. We were greeted by our butler Greg who immediately brought us coffee when requested. The room was wonderful, with a king size bed, living area space, and the bathroom exactly how they described it on the website. The bathroom had a expansive glass window electronically controlled for view or privacy with the switch of a button. The only negative thing with the terrace is that even though you have your own personal outdoor space with lounge chairs, you're sharing with other suites on the grass terrace, so anyone walking along the terrace can see inside your room. Therefore, we had to keep the glass window in privacy mode the entire time.

As platinum members, they offered continental breakfast, but we bought up to have the full breakfast. Sunday has brunch only, which cost a little more. The food isn't cheap at the St. Regis, and there isn't many restaurants around the Princeville area. Even with the buying up option, we ended up paying $100 for brunch and $50 for breakfast for 2 people, including tax and tips. The food was delicious, with brunch having a lot more variety of foods, including shrimp and crab legs. We never tried the restaurants for lunch or dinner, so we can not rate them.

The pool was quite nice and relaxing, and have a beautiful view of the bay.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience at the St Regis Princeville Resort. When comparing the Westin versus St Regis, the Westin is great if you want a kitchen, but for the views, the pool/beach, and the service, the St Regis is the way to go! We haven't seen all of Kauai, so we intend to come back again!

Aloha Gizmo_88,

Mahalo for taking the time to share feedback about your most recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort, We truly value our SPG members and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at both the Westin and our Resort. Hearing feedback from our guests such as you is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of the St. Regis brand. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and we would be more then happy to help you see the rest of the island.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The first half of our honeymoon was spent at this beautiful resort, and it did not disappoint. The staff were simply amazing -- everyone knew our name and we were greeted with genuine warmth everywhere we went. We were upgraded to a spectacular room and we greatly enjoyed the quiet beach and lovely pool. The place is very relaxing and laid back -- not a party place -- so keep that in mind to ensure that's what you're looking for. The spa is amazing a well, one of the best I've ever been to. We loved it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Angela J,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. We are so pleased that the Resort could be a part of creating some of the most memorable moments of your time together as a newlywed couple. Rest and relaxation is a veiled treasure found at our Resort and truly the perfect destination for a romantic getaway. We look forward to welcoming you back to the address for Life's Celebrations.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Very nice place, but must be ready to relax as not much to do in the area.
The work-out room is really nice, restaurants are very expensive.

The grounds are difficult to understand because signs are not evident, so I suggest you review this early in your stay.

Room Tip: Limited rooms with balconies. Food is over-priced for what you get. Nice work-out room.
Aloha Catndog,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We truly value our guests and we hope you welcome you back in the near future.

boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I recently stayed five nights at the Princeville St Regis (December 3-8, 2012). The overall experience was that of a puppy mill with hundreds of vacationers coming and going each day with no care to my personal well being.

Specifically, I experienced a fiasco of a dinner at the "Grill" restaurant on Tuesday December 4 which was my 50th birthday. My server Alana was uneducated about the menu and was rude and unprofessional. The evening left me feeling void of what should have been a joyful and meaningful celebration.

Earlier that same day I found it nearly impossible to track down a server at the poolside restaurant for lunch after a brief rain shower. It was obvious to me that the five minute rain shower was a signal for the entire staff to retreat and abandon their duties. Finally I was served by Walter, a member of the team, after he gave us his fill of attitude about the potential of getting wet by the rain and needing to serve us as if was perhaps someone else’s responsibility.

On my final morning while sleeping poolside an uninvited member of the pool staff woke me up from my nap. I was not wearing sunglasses or eye shades and physically it must have been obvious that I was asleep so I still remain confused as to what motivated your staff to disturb me. Regretfully I did not get the name of the young gentlemen who disturbed me so rudely.

When I shared each of my experiences with the front desk staff and management I received no sense of remorse or apology. I contacted American Express Travel on December 5th to share my experiences at the restaurant the night before, they called the front desk to discuss the matter further before calling me back. American Express said they had spoke with the front desk and were told that I was free of my obligation to stay at the hotel and welcomed me to move to another hotel. As a seasoned world traveler, my choice to stay the remaining nights at the St Regis was a poor one.

In addition, for those who exercise do not count on the gym to win you over or provide you with the proper equipment to contnue your exercise routine while on vacation.

My holiday was not restful and certainly not enhanced by the team at the St Regis.

Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We love the St. Regis and have been coming here every year for about five now. The view is unbelievable! The valets are very attentive. Phylo the bellman knows us by name and is fantastic; take care of him. Employees like him deserve the incentive for their great service! I'd give this resort a five star review if the food was better. Unfortunately, it has taken a downturn since we last came. The cookies aren't as great, room service is way too expensive and very poor in taste and quality. Breakfast at the Makana Terrace is good but hotels can't really botch up breakfast. The Thanksgiving Buffet at the Makana Terrace was our most enjoyable meal; best Thanksgiving dinner ever, with a wide array of selections and a dream dessert display.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha TigerlillyN,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. We truly value our returning guest and we will be sure to acknowledge the service you received from Phylo at the Bell desk. Our staff takes pride in knowing that our guest receive exceptional service during their stay. I have also shared your review with our new Executive Chef so that we may improve on our dining options. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and Happy Holidays.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a great time at the St. Regis, Kauai. The views are beyond spectacular! The drive up to the hotel is gorgeous and when you pull into the hotel you are definitely impressed. As you walk into the lobby, it is really impressive--high ceilings, modern Hawaiian feel. However, get beyond the center of the lobby and you have no idea where you are, except for the breathtaking views outside the windows. Why, oh why, did the St. Regis decide to make the bar/lounge look like a 'gentleman's club' in NYC when you are in Kauai?? Really takes away from the feeling.

Our room was in nice condition, with an ocean view, but again, what was the St.Regis thinking when they decided to give you these unparalleled views, but with NO, balcony in most rooms? You just can't fully take it all in without being able to sit on a balcony. The windows do open the width of the room and you even have a view from the bathroom, but it's just not the same.

The staff were all quite lovely, except for the person in the concierge area who tried to sell us on a time share. We had limited time in Kauai and the last thing we wanted to do was spend our time on a sales pitch. We thought this was really bad form. Everyone else was helpful and friendly, especially the parking attendants! Duane was "Mr.Kauai!"

The beach is beautiful here and this is by far the most spectacular view on the island! I would definitely come back as I think the view was to-die-for, but there were also a few things to keep in mind...

The food is WAY overpriced (which is expected) and NOT good! The sushi at the bar was atrocious and clearly not even fresh (in that case, why offer it?). The breakfast was fine, and fortunately, we were unable to eat at Kauai Grille as it was closed the night we wanted to go there. Just a lot of mediocrity for a big premium. We are happy to pay the price for good food, but this wasn't it! So many tasty local places around, but overall the food just isn't great on Kauai, and especially not at the St.Regis.

Last, the St.Regis (perhaps just this property) should take some notes from how they do it at the Four Seasons. We ended our trip at the Four Seasons Kona, Hawaii and there's just no comparison in every way--service, cost/value, attentiveness of the staff AND we paid the same rate! The 4 Seasons strives to know your name, make you feel comfortable and most importantly, make you feel special! This was not the case at the St. Regis. Another thing at the 4 Seasons that they St.REgis could benefit from are the pool 'amenities." Every hour they come around with a little 'bite' that is gratis! It could be a little bite of fresh fruit, a mini-popsicle, whatever! They just want you to feel valued and this is such a nice perk!

If you decide to stay here, BE SURE to go through the double doors in the bar/lounge area to get the MOST fabulous view in the hotel! This is the place to sit (since you probably won't have your own balcony) to really take it all in. Also, gets crowded at suset, you'll see why!

One more thing, if you stay in Princeville, you won't have the best weather on the island, but in my opinion, it's worth it if only for this view.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Aloha Julie G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. Our exquisite atmosphere and uncompromising service make us a truly unique destination and we appreciate your acknowledgment. Clearly from the details you provided we fell below standards and I have shared your feedback with our Management, in hopes that you can improve. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to our Resort in the near future.
With warmest aloha,

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!