“Highs and lows” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Princeville
princeton, nj
“Highs and lows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Without repeating what 900+ travelers have already noted, this is a beautifully done, yet overpriced resort, I almost wish they had some competition. On the plus side: the St Regis makeover is fabulous, service was faultless- we got upgraded to a beach front/terrace room, the grounds impeccable, did I mention the priceless views??? On the negative side, they seemed to have "forgotten" basic hotel amenities: wine cooler- but empty minibar? no water or wine glasses in the room? breakfast buffet entirely repetitive? launge chairs on the terrace but no towels?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Aloha beachloverprinceton,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The St. Regis Princeville Resort. While we are disappointed that your stay was anything less than exceptional, we appreciate your acknowledgement of our attentive staff and wonderful remodel. I have shared your comments with our Management in hopes that we may improve and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis brand is known.

With warmest aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I recently had a romantic dinner in one of the private cabana's along the beach to propose to my now fiance. Let me start off by saying the view is amazing. However there were a couple things I was very disappointed with. First of all, I had pre-ordered a special bottle of wine that had a lot of significance to us as a couple. They billed me for the bottle a few weeks before I arrived and I called to confirm they had it a couple days before the dinner(this was a hassle in itself because I could never get ahold of the catering planner and she didn't call back, I ended up calling 5-6 times before getting ahold of them). They said they had it and everything was ready to go. Unfortunately, when I arrived for the dinner they tell me they don't have it and give me the wine list to pick out one of their bottles. This really upset me even though I had to play it off like it was no big deal because I didn't want to ruin the mood for my proposal. The next thing I was disappointed with was the sub-par food. When you are paying close to $1,000 for a dinner you expect the food to be great. The food was no better than your local $15 per plate restaurant. Luckily I proposed early on and my fiance was too distracted by the ring to eat most of her food. All in all I would NOT recommend the Romantic Dinner at the St. Regis to anyone.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, - at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Aloha Jason L,

Thank you for taking the time share feedback about your most recent experience. We apologize that your Romantic Dinner was anything less then exceptional. Bringing these details to your attention allow us to improve and I have shared your comments with the Director of Romantic Dinners. We understand the importance of making sure all the details of your surprise engagement are perfect and we sincerely apologize for the unacceptable service. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality for which the St. Regis Brand is known.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

ok so the views here are breathtaking, and the facilities and food very good, the rooms as you would expect for a hotel of this calibre, but the stand out is the friendliness of the staff - we have never experienced staff at a major hotel or resort who are so genuinely friendly and busting to make your experience optimal. In the end, this made for such a relaxing get-away. Would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: ocean views to die for - even for an Australian
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Aloha Robobie-bertieb,

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service. We are pleased to hear your stay was beyond expectations. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for many years to come.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We used points/cash option and spent 3 nights at the St. Regis in Princeville. About a 30 minute walk on the beach/trail to Hanalei bay, we were able to surf twice a day and spent the rest of the time enjoying the chairs pool/beach side. Super nice and informative staff across the board. Gorgeous views from the room. We'll definitely be back!

Aloha quesofundido,

Thank you for taking the time share feedback about your most recent stay at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. We truly value our SPG members and are pleased to hear you were able to visit us while using your hard earned points. Hearing feedback from our guest such as you is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of the St. Regis. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort for many years to come.

FlagstaffAZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is my all time favorite hotel. The view alone is breath taking. I love eating muffins and hot chai on their balcony early in the morning. Or going out at night time to see the stars and the moon reflex on the ocean. They offer smores down on the beach on certain nights. The snorkeling on the beach is the best on Kauai. Lots of colorful fish. They have three hot tubes which is nice after being in the ocean to warm up. I like how it is not too hot for kids to warm up and to have their own hot tub. They have a great one foot pool area for the little little ones. They offer kayaking which we did to Hanalei Bay bridge $40/hr for all three of us. Turtle also can be found. Good signal internet - free to guest. Valet is part of the resort fee, very friendly and offer waters for your trips. Beach towels hand delivered to your beach chair. The service is excellent. Of the value of Sheraton vs St. Regis, here is the better value for you will pay $$ for ocean view there. You are close to the lighthouse, Hanalei (Saturday's farmers market), caves. Couldn't see paying $21 for a burger when Bubba's is $35 for all of us with shakes. Go to the south end of Kauai for more boogie board waves.

Room Tip: We have stayed on the 7th floor and love the view from our room. I think almost any room would be f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha FlagstaffAZ1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay at our Resort. Our exquisite atmosphere and uncompromising service makes us a truly unique destination and we appreciate your acknowledgement. Being able to enjoy a morning sunrise or a spectacular sunset along the North Shore of Kauai is truly a memorable moment and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Draper, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

If your desire is to spend a perfect vacation in Hawaii, then you must travel to Kauai and treat yourself to an incredible experience by staying at the St. Regis Princeville Resort. From the breathtaking views, magnificent accommodations, outstanding food to the professional - very friendly - staff, there is no finer experience in the world. The St. Regis is simply a little piece of heaven here on Earth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St Regis Prince... M, Public Relations Manager at St. Regis Princeville Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Aloha Craig F,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our Resort. We truly appreciate your endorsement and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Point Reyes Station, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just returned from our honeymoon in Kauai. We spent the first five days at the St. Regis and four days at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu (separate review there). Hands down St. Regis was the best vacation we have had at any hotel or resort. The location is perfect, the view of Hanalei Bay is mesmerizing, magical and serene. The hotel has a near 360 degree view from the lobby and various terraces that is breathtaking. The North Shore of Kauai is so beautiful, special, magical and the St. Regis is the perfect compliment. Personally, I've only stayed in condos in Kauai in the past but after this stay, we will return to the St. Regis.

We had a room on the 7th floor with a view of the bay. The upper floors (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th) are the best particularly those on the west side of the floors which face the ocean) but its hard to think that there is a bad room in the place. Aside from the location and the views, what makes the St. Regis so incredibly special and memorable is the service. Wow. From the moment we checked in to our departure, the service was superb. Everyone greets you, everyone looks out for you, everyone is polite, everyone asks if they can help you with anything and mean it, and you will be able to tell instantly. It feels so good to feel at ease and relaxed. No stress no struggle no tension at dinner or with reservations or your room. The service alone is worth it. And not only are they attentive and polite, but everyone there knows the Island. Most of their staff struck me as locals (people who grew up there) or people who lived on Kauai for at least 10 years. They all have great rec. for beaches, food, tips on weather, the people at the pool warned us about rough weather and not to go out snorkeling the day before. They are all trained to inform guests for the best spots and also to look out for their welfare.

Each morning you get an update on the weather. The Starwood Desk next to the concierge called us the day we arrived and welcomed us. They had a sweet little gift for us and gave us a bunch of info on restaurants, boating tour info, helicopter tour info which we asked for. Their tips were great and very direct. That's one of the things I truly appreciated. They speak from experience and tell you what they experienced and what you may like or dislike. I never felt pushed. They were always honest and for that reason, we trusted them and will return. One ex. is I asked about different Napali boat tours and the person I spoke on the phone with gave me a head's up about one company that included a visit near the privately owned island of Niihau. She said it took 2.5 hrs. to cross the channel there and that is was rough. I was so grateful - had I booked that trip I would have been very seasick. I have them to thank for the additional info. They go the extra step. If you've stayed at a hotel that had poor service (particularly one you have paid a lot for) you will appreciate what I mean.

Every morning we had our included breakfast on their restaurant terrace. Morning rainbows were typical. Birds singing, surfers in the distance, sweet warm air. Its just perfect. And romantic. The pool area is so nice, the chairs, the towel service, drinks if you want them. Its all perfect. The hotel was quite full so when we wanted a late check out they did their best to accommodate us with a spa pass so that we could hang out at the pool (at our request) and grab a shower before we left. With all the sightseeing we did we wanted a little pool time!) and they were understanding of that. Our room was well-appointed, clean, elegant with a nice sized bathroom with large bathtub that looked into the bedroom (there is a switch that you can hit that makes the glass opaque).

They give you towels and water each time you leave for the day. If you are looking for a special time to treat yourself, for a romantic getaway or celebration or you are just someone with great taste who can afford it, the St. Regis is THE place to stay in Kauai. We did not have dinner in any of the restaurants or order room service only because we found some great restaurants to eat at in Hanalei (Bar Acuda and the Dolphin for sushi - order the yellowtail) and a great lunch spot in Kilauea (Kilauea Fish Market) not to mention Banana Joe's for fresh fruit smoothies and fruit. If we had stayed even one extra day, we would have made it to their restaurant and/or had room service. How could it not be terrific?

Despite the size of the hotel you are made to feel very special and it all feels so intimate. We were sad to leave! We will be back again. By the way, a tip to all: we booked through Costco. The advantage is that for the price (which is not much different than booking directly), there are a few extras that are included which you would otherwise have to pay additionally for like valet parking ($30 per day), continental breakfast (juice, toast, cereal, coffee) and an ocean view room). We are just so pleased. St. Regis is fabulous at what they do and we cannot wait to return. Best wishes to everyone out there planning a trip to Kauai! Thank you St. Regis Kauai and staff, you made our trip an amazing one.

THANK YOU ST. REGIS FOR A BEAUTIFUL HONEYMOON

Room Tip: Rooms on 6,7,8,9 and 10th floors have best view, especially rooms towards west side of hotel (closes...
Aloha Honeymoon Traveler 201,

Mahalo for writing such a gracious review about your recent stay at our Resort. On behalf of the St. Regis Princeville Staff we would to congratulate you on your recent celebration and we are pleased to hear you chose to spend part of your Honeymoon getaway at our Resort. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service. Hearing feedback such as yours is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of the St. Regis. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future or possibly for your Anniversary.

With warmest aloha,

Been to St. Regis Princeville Resort? Share your experiences!