“Expectations Exceeded - Again” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Princeville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Prescott, Arizona
“Expectations Exceeded - Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are owners of a two-bedroom lock off at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resorts and have been since it first opened. We recently (Feb. 23, 2012) completed our sixth annual two week visit to this property. Even though we have always had high expectations, once again the staff exceeded them. The Nanea restaurant now our favorite on the North Shore - on a par with the Hanalei Dolphin and even a few notches higher. Each of the staff is outstanding, expecially the Waileli Bar (Chris and Cass) and the servers in the Nanea restaurant (with Tessa standing out and the F&B Manager - Erin, and Chef Jason put a stamp of excellent on everything.) Sure, it rained a bit as it does every year - but that's why the North shore is so beautiful. We saw many whales, met lots of new friends from across the U.S. and Canada, and thoroughly enjoyed out stay. We used to stay at the Princeville Hotel before it re-opened as the St. Regis. We don't like the St. Regis any longer - since the renovation they have lost their island "Hawaiiana" flair and have two restaurants, each of which is exceedingly expensive without backing up the pricing with outstanding menu offerings nor professional, friendly staff. If you are traveling to Kauai, we would certainly support you checking out the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas.

Keith and Nancy Humphries, Prescott, AZ

Room Tip: Higher floors have better ocean views. Building three rooms surround the "Quiet Pool" and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We got the one bedroom suite so we could do a little cooking. We went straight to Walmart in Lihue before heading to the resort. Buy yourself coffee and creamer there for the room, they only give two days worth of coffee. We made breakfast a few days and barbequed fish one night out by the pools. I brought along a few marinade packets, baggies, a small wisk, and foil, which all came in handy! We also picked up a box fan at Walmart to help with the A/C noise we read about here on tripadvisor, it worked out great! The A/C did make a strange double-click every time it went off/on, which would have been annoying without the fan.

We requested building 6 as many here recommended, but they gave us building 3, 3rd floor, facing the small pool. I really liked this view and building as well. It was super quiet and not too far from the main pool and lobby.

I loved the pools, the hot tubs, and the lush grounds. The pools are perfect temperature. I had the turkey wrap for lunch at the pool several days, it was the bomb! The pot stickers were yummo too!

We ate one night at the restaurant and had the expensive 5-course deal. It was pretty good, but not the best meal I've ever had my a long shot.

I would highly recommend this resort to my friends and family, and would definitely stay here again. Princeville is the ONLY place to stay on this island. It is a little slice of heaven on earth! If you want to snorkel and swim don't go in the winter months, as the surf is too crazy to enjoy the water activities. I recommend snorkeling at Tunnels, swimming at Anini, and driving as far north as you can go for lots of pictures and tropical, gorgeous sight-seeing. Northshore Kauai is the most beautiful area of all the islands in my opinion.

I

Room Tip: I tried for 6, but ended up in 3. I really loved our room and our location facing the pool.
Holland, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I have always wanted to trade into the Westin Princeville and finally had the opportunity to do so at the end of January 2013. When we trade one week of our Marriott properties it's hard not to compare resorts. Sometimes we feel as though we've been ripped off, but not this time. The Westin was nearly perfect.

Our villa for the two of us was a two bedroom unit with small views of the ocean and Kilauea Lighthouse. The unit was huge! We could have easily had other members of our family with us and not gotten in each other's way. It was also very clean, a detail we find lacking in other places we've stayed. The mattresses and pillows were comfortable and the showers were large and roomy with glass doors.

The grounds were impeccably kept and quite lovely. The staff was also very friendly and made us feel welcome.

There were a few minor disappointments, but they certainly didn't spoil our stay. The sheets on the bed were not fitted, just tucked in. I understand why a resort might want to do this, but I always find that the sheets become untucked during the night and I end up fighting them while trying to sleep.

The cooking utensils in the kitchen were good, but somewhat limited. Also, if you're cooking in your room rather than dining out, be aware that there is no oven.

The pool water could have been warmer. (Picky, I know.) Because it was winter in Kauai, the air was cooler than in the summer and it would have made it easier to get in. We overheard kids saying they didn't want to swim in the kiddie pool because the water was too cold.

All in all, these were minor in comparison to the overall quality of the Westin. If we get the chance, we would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I came back to the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas and we arrived late and received a most welcome check-in. The next morning is where the WOW! comes in. We went out on our lanai to see a spectacular sun rise! We made coffee and sat on the lanai just entranced by the sky, the clouds, the ocean, and the spouts of dolphins and whales as they seemed to play with each other. The dolphins jumping and spinning and the whales breaching. WOW! Everything after that first morning just seemed to be an after thought. But the one bedroom was excellent w/ full kitchen, bath, laundry and that lanai! The food is also excellent. Their restaurant, Nanea, is first rate. The small marketplace w/ their breakfast and lunch menu is outstanding. But, it is the pool bar, Wailele, which has two of the best bartenders anywhere, Christopher and Cassidy. WOW again! The perfect way to wind down from the beach, playing golf, or just exploring the North Shore, is Happy Hour at the "Wally-Wally poor bar! For us, the Westin Villas has the perfect balance of everything to vacation. It just comes down to one word, WOW!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Liberty Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were enticed by an offer in the mail for 6 days and 5 nights at a great price including a rental car and some spending money at the resort. This is primarily a vacation ownership property. We had a really lovely stay.

Our studio room was in building 3, unit #3103 with a distant ocean view from our lanai. We enjoyed a Mai Tai or glass of wine each night right outside our studio slider. The resort is newer. Built in 2008, but built with a Kauai plantation style and the grounds are spectacular. Tiki torches lined the flagstone paved walkways each night. We stocked up at Costco upon arrival and enjoyed dinner "in" a few nights as well as breakfasts most days. The kitchen was well equipped except ice on arrival and the front desk sent someone immediately with a bucket of ice when we asked. I didn't mind not having daily maid service. We made great use of the washer dryer in the studio, keeping our bath towels and beach towels clean and dry and doing one good load of clothes before we left. We were provided enough dishwashing liquid, dishwasher soap and laundry soap for our purposes. A larger family or someone cooking more daily might have needed to buy more. They have a small store on site for stocking up on forgotten things. There is also a grocer nearby "Foodland" for shopping. I won't mention prices as you would expect the convenience store at the Westin to be high as you would a grocer on an island in Hawaii. We never spent any time at the main pool as we were out exploring every day. There were two other pools, one marked "quiet area", one had a nice ocean view .. both had their own hot tubs which were .... amazingly .... hot. As they should be about 103. This is my pet peeve with hotels in general, but not this time. Perfect end to each day (or start after a long hike left us both with a few aches and pains the next day) There are BBQs for each building and outdoor dining tables. We were fortunate to use the one next to our building by the main pool and under a giant canopy. Not long after our steaks were done..it started to pour. We loved it. Great dinner, surrounded by an evening Kauai shower and tiki torches dancing in the rain. Our second dinner in was just as fun. We shared a BBQ with another guest as one BBQ was out of order. Great way to meet nice people.

The staff was extremely helpful from the bellhops to the front desk to the concierge. Upon arrival after settling in, we visited our personal "concierge" Tracy and agreed to attend the "resort preview" = sales presentation on our next to last day, but we had not found a way by then spend our extra $100 in resort gift certificates she offered for attending. I suppose we could have gotten a massage, but neither of us really wanted one. Our other dinners were spoken for and we were saving our included $75 resort certificates for our last day, Sunday brunch (not part of the gift of attending the presentation). We were expecting to have a big hassle or added push when we notified them on the morning of the "preview" that we decided not to attend. Much to our surprise, they thanked us for notifying them and only asked that we return the unused gift certificates. Another note.. There were not any sales people floating around the hotel approaching us about the vacation ownership. We had several calls from our "concierge" at home prior to our trip who later upon arrival was the one who signed us up for the preview. I am not sure if the other concierge staff seated in the main lobby were also in sales, we never talked to them. Our personal concierge was down the hall around the corner from the front desk. We really had no intention of purchasing or even considering to buy into the club and we didn't want to waste our time .. or theirs. My husband (61) had never been to a presentation. I myself personally spent 7 years of my life in the vacation ownership industry in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico... So I have quite a few opinions about promotions, sales presentations, membership and ownership - not all of which are negative. I really believe for a select few .. or many, vacation ownership can be gratifying and worthwhile purchase. (I won't use the word investment)

Having said all that... we LOVED this resort. I have never had such a comfortable and relaxing stay. After all, it bears the Westin name. The bed was ...well, heavenly, just as they claim. The grounds, gorgeous and immaculate. Yes there are roosters. If you want to avoid them, go to another island or take a cruise. As a guest of the Princeville Westin you are entitled to use the beach chair facilities at the spectacular St. Regis Resort just down the road. We drove ourselves and found parking in a tiny lot, but you can valet for free (tips) or take the complimentary shuttle that takes you there each hour. The beach is wonderful. Good snorkeling. Great beach food and beverage service, but the prices will set you back. ($16-17 cocktails, $21 hamburger, etc)
They do offer complimentary ice water. If I had more days I would have made one day of it at their beach. An ocean view room there cost more than my entire week at the Westin.

On our last day we had a 2 hour Sunday brunch at the Nanea restaurant. It rained but we sat outside under the awning with the sides down and windows to see out. It was scrumptious and worth $39 per person... if just once. If you go, eat slowly and enjoy yourself. Champagne, Kauai eggs benedict, sushi, sashimi, antipasti, breakfast meats, potatoes, salads, shrimp, wonderful cracked crab legs (snow) - everything was super delicious. I did get one bad piece of Poke in the sashimi, but that goes with the territory of eating raw fish...

Our only complaints were that our beautiful room with a beautiful view was snatched away the day after we arrived due to an event that required them to set up an event tent the size of a circus tent.. poof there went our view from our lanai for 3 of the 5 days. Our other complaint was that the insulation in the walls was horrid. There was a family next to us and the baby cried all night and every morning. We could hear the man next door making a phone call and we could hear not only his voice, but the voice of the person he was talking to on the phone through the wall. The whole idea of paying for parking miffs me, but as long as we consumers pay it, resorts will continue to charge us. Parking was also a problem unless you came back to the resort very early. It's a long walk in the rain from the main parking area. (Yes the resort has umbrellas)

I don't want to end on a negative ... I can't wait to return to Kauai and hopefully the Westin Princeville Resort. We stayed 2 extra nights in Lihue (due to the high cost of extra nights at the Westin outside the package) and did not enjoy the East and South shores of the island nearly as much as we did Princeville and Hanelai Bay, Anini, etc.

Room Tip: Building 3 convenient to parking, restaurant, quiet pool and main pool.
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spent one week at the Westin Princeville in early Feb 2013. This is our third visit. As always it was excellent. the rooms are great, the food wonderful and the staff exceptional. We were in an oceanfront room on one of the hammerheads and on the second floor. Great view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Ask for the oceanfron rooms in the "Hammerhead" sections
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We're not really "Resort" people, but we took this offer from Westin as part of a "come see our properties and listen to our sales pitch" routine, so we received a nice discount. The staff was very good, and our stay was pleasant. We spent most of our time exploring the island. As I said, we aren't ones who travel to sit and relax or play golf, so this setting isn't really aimed at us. However, for travelers who are into these "activities," the Westin is probably a good choice.

Room Tip: Nice grocery store in Princeville
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!