“Poipu Kapili #54 ... exceptional vacation” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2221 Kapili Rd, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756   |
Ranked #6 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Carlsbad, CA
“Poipu Kapili #54 ... exceptional vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Who? Me, wife, daughter (age 11)
When? October 15-23, 2011 (8 nights)

After deciding to make our first visit to Kauai the next decision to make was a place to stay. Although I was biased toward the Poipu area due to wanting a higher probability of great weather I also considered the north shore. Initially the choice was between the Grand Hyatt Kauai and the St Regis Princeville, but just before I was going to make my choice I got an email from jetsetter.com (or some similar site) offering a great deal at Poipu Kai. This got me poking around the internet, especially TA, and I found Poipu Kapili. Some further digging led me to unit #54, which is managed independently from the units represented on the Poipu Kapili web site. Unit #54 has its own website, which is very detailed.

I contacted the owner of #54, Cynthia, and she was very quick to respond with answers to all of my questions. Dealing with her via email and phone was very easy. She quickly responds to your questions and wants to make sure you are satisifed with the information that you receive. This is the first time that I have ever vacationed by dealing with a private homeowner and if everyone is as great as Cynthia then I may never stay in a hotel again.

The Poipu Kapili property is well documented on its web site so I'll try to add a few thoughts that aren't mentioned as frequently.
- The complex is 30 years old but is in great shape.
- The grounds are immaculately maintained. There were always crews on the grounds working on the landscaping, cleaning, etc. By 8:00 a.m. every morning the pool deck had been cleaned, the bbqs had been cleaned, and the pool was being cleaned.
- The complex was very quiet. There are approximately 60 units and at least 50 are managed by the on-site rental agency. I was told that there might be two units in the complex that are not used as rentals, and even those two are not year-round residents. What this means is that during certain months of the year you will probably see many fewer people than you might expect. During our vacation there was never anyone on either side of us and I can't imagine if at any time there were more than 20 occupied units.
- The road (the only thing separating Poipu Kapili from the ocean) is not a high-traffic spot. Road noise was never an issue. The construction behind Poipu Kapili is not an issue either, especially if you are staying ocean front.
- The on-site rental management company is not associated with this unit but you can still go to them for questions or to buy a daily newspaper. I found them to be extremely nice and helpful.
- The tennis courts, as I have found all over Hawaii, are not in perfect condition. However, these were in better shape than those at Turtle Bay or Kapalua. I played tennis every day, and all you need to do is go into the management office to make a reservation.
- There are two nice bbqs between the pool and the ocean that require you to provide the coals. These grills are cleaned every day and we used them for three dinners - very nice.
- There are two gas grills by the tennis courts but you can't even see the ocean from them so I'm not sure why anyone would want to use them.
- The sea wall across the street from the property is a very popular spot for people to watch the sunset. I was very surprised at how many people were there every evening. You can easily tell the difference between the locals and the tourists. The locals are the ones (almost all men) smoking, playing their music too loud, making catcalls at passing women, and leaving their beer bottles behind.
- The beach in front of Poipu Kapili is all lava rock - there is no sand. Just walk a couple of minutes to the east to Kiahuna (Sheraton) beach for a great time.
- If you walk down the sea wall to the west a few hunderd feet I can almost guarantee you will see sea turtles.

Unit #54 is nicely furnished and maintained in good condition. It is considered oceanfront and your living room and master bath are right on top of the ocean. If you like the noise of the waves then you'll love this unit. The unit is 1,800+ square feet with two bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, and a bathroom, kitchen, dining area, laundry room, and living room downstairs. Cynthia provides all the beach toys you could want, and has a lot of books, CDs, and DVDs. There is wireless internet and a nice desk you can work at if you need to. The kitchen is well stocked with all the dishes you'll need, and a fair amount of cooking supplies. Air conditioning units are in each of the bedrooms - we didn't use these (they cost extra) and in hindsight we might have done so as the layout of the buildings somewhat stunts the cooling ability of the tradewinds. The bathrooms are nice and have some amount of shampoo, conditioner, etc. for you to use.

Bottom line - For less than the price of a hotel room at the Hyatt (which gives you about 500 square feet?) I got this big oceanfront condo. I would not hesitate to book through Cynthia again and I highly recommend Poipu Kapili and unit#54 for those who want a great Kauai vacation. Thank you Cynthia!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I was extremely pleased with the Poipu Kapili. We normally use Starwood properties, but chose a condo this time. I was a little worried because there are so many varied reviews on tripadvisor, but the Poipu Kapili exceeded my expectations. The resort property was well maintained and had great facilities (pool, tennis courts, gas grills, charcoal grills, plenty of parking). The location was convenient and had a great view. I think all the condo's had some sort of ocean view, but some obviously better than others. Ours was is the back corner, but we could still see and hear the ocean. Kauai does not have many properties that are beachfront (at least sandy with swimming) - usually only the big name hotels. The Poipu Kapili is in front of a rocky stretch of waterfront - beautiful, but you can't swim there. The sandy beach in front of the Sheraton is only 500 meters away.

The condo unit was great - new furniture and tasteful decorations. We chose a unit that had in-house washer/dryer and air conditioning. Both are a must! I loved being able to drop all the beach towels and gear into the washer every night. I'm from the South where I live in 68 degree air conditioning 365 days a year. I would not consider a place without A/C even though the temperatures and breeze at night are nice. The unit also had all the desired kitchen utensils, nice beach chairs and umbrella.

Overall I highly recommend the Poipu Kapili. I would make sure to get current photos of the unit you are renting - the amenities and decor can vary between the units.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Amherst, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

After much research on the Internet we chose Poipu Kapili for our first visit to Kauai. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. We were so comfortable in the very spacious 1 bedroom condo that we choose- unit 23. Not only was it very nicely decorated, it had a washer and dryer and ac in the bedroom (which we hardly used). The complex is so well maintained, the landscaping is lush and colorful. The management was friendly and helpful. The location was perfect, we could walk to many places, but our favorite place was sitting on the lanai and watching the ocean. You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay at Poipu Kapili!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I recently stayed at the Poipu Kapili Resort in Kauai with my family. I stayed in Unit 47 -- which I strongly recommend. The one bedroom unit really functions like a two bedroom and has all the things you would want. It has two large, recently renovated bathrooms and a washer/dryer - which is invaluable once you start stacking up wet towels from the pool and the beach. It has two big flat screen tvs. A nice stereo for listening to Hawaiian music in the evenings. It's on the ground floor--with a nice patio that looks out at the ocean. It feels like the pool and the ocean are your front yard!

I don't know why anyone would stay at the Sheraton next door, when you can stay here, have your own kitchen and laundry, and still use the same beach that the folks at the Sheraton use.

Room Tip: I loved Unit 47 -- comes with all the things you would want--tv, stereo, washer/dryer, fully equippe...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
palm springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed in unit #33, a one bedroom ground floor unit in building 4. It was a really enjoyable stay and would highly recommend it. I had read good things about Kapili and was not disappointed. The complex is run very well, and looks as if was built last year. Everything inside and out was in top shape. Check-in was smooth and everyone we encountered was very pleasant. I wanted an ocean view, and was a little concerned about this ground floor unit in the back building being too far way for a good view. I was happy to find out that the view was great, with the water in plain view from the living room and kitchen, framed by palm trees and the beautiful gardens. Whoever the landscape architect for the project was should be congratulated for doing a great job landscaping for beauty and privacy. I was also a bit worried about construction noise from the Koloa Landing project behind Kapili, but there was none.
The unit is well furnished, large (as all the units there are), in very good condition and stocked with everything needed to make dinner. We had several breakfasts and dinners out on the lanai, which was tucked away beneath bamboo palms and surrounded by gardens, with the ocean in the background. That view is now my screen saver.
Poipu Kapili is in a great location. We walked to both the Poipu Shopping Center and the new Kukui'ula shopping village for restaurants. We walked to the Kiahuna beach (3 minute walk) and Poipu Beach most every day. Watching the sunset at the wall in front of Kapili was fun and seems to be a nightly ritual for many of the people there.
All in all, it was a great week, and will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Unit 16 provided a partial ocean view and opened to middle courtyard and pool. Landscaping gave a private feel to the lanai area. Very spacious rooms, ideal for our family. Great location, easy walk to Sheraton beach and so much nicer to stay in a condo than hotel! Well maintained complex. Everything worked great. Office staff friendly and helpful. Poipui is a great location to explore the entire island. Lovely sunsets and quiet area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We had three condos for our family and thoroughly enjoyed the Island and the kapili staff is great. Would highly recommend their spacious accommodations for a romantic getaway or family reunion. Nearby beaches great for kids.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Poipu Kapili? Share your experiences!