“Lovely Property in a Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2253-B Poipu Rd, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 30 Specialty lodging in Poipu
Davis, California
“Lovely Property in a Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a very nice room with a garden view at this lovely and well maintained property. We were able to visit our family staying at an ocean view property and it was lovely. There are many options for every budget. Having an ocean view if a bonus, but in reality, if you just bother to get out of your room, you can have a beach view in a very short walk. As a matter of fact you can be sitting on the beach in no time at all. Of course, watching the spectacular sunsets and whale watching this time of year (January) is a must. Also, the high level of maintenance of the property was very impressive (painting, trimming, cleaning, security).

Did I mention you have access to a very large pool and tennis courts across the street with access to Casablanca bar a restaurant. They make a killer Mai Tai and Lime Margarita. Did I mention they make a great Lime Margarita? How about outdoor Sunday brunch for $15? Are you kidding? Nope. It's not buffet but includes a selection of cocktail ( I loved the make your own Bloody Mary), brunch specials including Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine, incredible French Toast, and a Lox and Bagel you would not believe, plus coffee.

Room Tip: We roamed the property and I could not find a location I could not recommend. Obviously, ocean views...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Mahalo for your nice review! I am glad that you enjoyed yourself here, and obviously at Casa Blanca as well.

Please come back soon!

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed through Castle for 10 days. It was awesome! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone! My whole family stayed in 3 separate condos. They weren't right next to each other but it didn't matter because we could easily walk across the lawn. The beach was perfect & easily accessible! The other hotels/condos in the area didn't have as good of beach/sand access as we did! My grandparents had a condo closest to the beach so we hung out at the backyard (aka right at the beach) the whole time. The other 2 condos were also very close, with a beach view the entire time. The kids could easily run around the grounds/ across the lawn to all 3 condos with no problem. We luckily scored 1 remodeled condo and it was very nice. The other 2 were definitely dated so that was a drawback, but it didn't bother us too much. However, I would rather have a remodeled condo and be farther back from the beach than have an older one. This is because it was much easier/affordable to buy groceries and have meals at the condo than go out to eat, so a nicer kitchen was better.

Pros-
-Easy accessible beach
-Nice remodeled condos
-Great housekeeping service
-Will give extra towels
-Friendly staff
-Owners had beach toys, beach mats, boogie boards, books in condos
-Nice restaurant on site- Plantation Gardens
-Poipu shopping village is right across the street
-Can open/close shutters on windows/doors of condo
-Outside barbecue areas for use
-Grounds are very well kept! (very pretty!)
-Main desk/security on 24 hours
-Safe is supplied in room
-Activities desk has tons of stuff (chairs, towels, snorkeling, etc) & they were extremely helpful!!! (Mike helped us search for & book many activities on the island)
-Wifi worked well in every room
-Location, location, location! Poipu & the beach were beautiful!

Cons-
-They warned us several times to lock our doors- made us nervous, but we never had any problems
-Parking was open, but it would be better if spots were assigned, sometimes the lots were full with visitors
-The back sliding doors face the ocean and can't be locked from the outside so it was annoying to have to go through the front everytime you wanted to lock your condo
-No A/C but we didn't need it since it was January (used fans)
-No pool on property, only 1 across the street (& it wasn't nice)- however a certain hotel next door doesn't have any gates to their pool & it was very nice!

I want to advise that this property has very little amenities! This was perfect for us because being close to the beach was more important.  There is 1 front desk, 1 restaurant, an activities desk, and barbecues, that is it. So if you are looking for any extras, this is not your place. However, this is why we loved it so much. It reflected the perfect laid back Kauai lifestyle!

Try to get condo #16: nicely remodeled, big, backyard on lawn, ground level, & ocean view!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review! Yes, #16 is very nice. As a reminder for those folks who read these reviews, while Castle cannot guarantee a specific unit, we always do try our best to accomodate special requests such as specific unit, ground floor, 2nd floor, etc. so do not hesitate to ask.

We hope to see you again soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was our first trip to Hawaii, and we couldn't have picked a better place. The units are nice, recently upgraded countertops, appliances, and flooring. As a bonus, the owners keep sand toys, boogie boards and beach mats in the closet (flippers too!). Our beach is beautiful and uncrowded, and just a 10 minute walk away is Poipu beach, which is by far one of the best places to snorkel in Hawaii, especially of you have kids. You just float, the fish flock around since there are reefs and rocks all around (so be sure to bring water shoes to protect your feet). The staff was very friendly and we rented off VRBO so it was reasonably priced.

I only had two minor negatives. Their pool is too far away. They have so much lawn beachfront, I think they need a pool there, but their pool is across the street, you pretty much need to drive there. The other thing is, because of the airy, louvered windows and doors, you hear everything your neighbor is doing. I know they need this because of no air conditioning, which isn't needed, but was pretty annoying.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. We are pleased that our staff were friendly and responsive.

While we realize that resonable pricing can be found on VRBO, we also encourage potential guests to call is directly or check our website as we often have great deals available, and offer the advantage of many units to choose from.

Please do come back again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a great condo community with beautiful garden surroundings! We loves having all of the convenience of a condo along with the close proximity to the beach, shopping, and dining. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and I always saw them working maintaining the grounds. It was very handy to have beach towels to borrow from the hut and although we didn't rent anything, they did have a number of beach items to rent. Poipu beach was great for snorkeling and seeing mink seals. The only downside to this property is that you have to cross the road to get to the pool and it looked a little run down. However even with our two year old we spent most of our time at the beach since Poipu has a great small, protected beach for little ones. Overall we would definitely go back and stay at the Kiahuna.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much! Please come back again very soon, and contact me if I can be of service.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent 6 days on the north shore and then move south for a final 5 days. (drive from airport is very easy and with no traffic takes approx 30 minutes). We arrived and were immediately impressed by the stunning well kept grounds. We arrived at check in , where the staff would extremely helpful and very polite and friendly. We were in unit 50 building 10. The apartment was clean , had an excellent balcony facing the garden and was a 3 minute walk to the beach. The beach was clean , free towels and chairs were available . We spent most of our time hiking in the canyon whIch was less than an hour away by car. very close by the resort there were numerous restaurants and grocery shops. There were also BBQs on the grounds which we really enjoyed. Overall we had a very good experience however one area of caution for light sleepers - there is no glass in the windows just shutters with screens - wind / traffic noise could be an issue. There is also a work yard close by and when trucks reverse early in the morning the noise was loud. As I write this they are cutting down branches again the noise is annoying. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and the checkout time of 12.00 was of great benefit. note without the noise factor I would have given 5 stars

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed unit 50. I always like to recomend the Garden Paradise category, as this is one that only Castle offers on property.

We hope that you return very soon!

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Castle has a lot of reviews- I think because they send you an email the second you check out, asking you to do a Tripadvisor review if you've had a positive experience. In any event, my mom and I stayed here in mid-October 2012. We rented on vrbo, but our one bedroom unit was managed by Castle. We had an upstairs corner unit in building 36. Our unit was not fancy, but it was very comfortable and clean. Units are not large (and have one bathroom)- perfect for two people or a family with one or two small children. We loved the large lanai, and we were fine without a/c. And we fell in love with the beautiful grounds of Kiahuna Plantation. It was wonderful to be within walking distance of the ocean, and the shopping center across the street was handy. We had a little noise from neighboring units, since there are no glass windows- just screens and louvers. We knew this ahead of time, and brought our earplugs. One night there was a very noisy wedding at the Plantation Garden restaurant, with amplified music. We called Castle and they said the wedding could make as much noise as they wanted until 10pm. We ended up walking down to the Sheraton, where the music could still be heard! Things did improve somewhat at 10
pm. The folks who staff the little beach shack were very friendly. And did I mention how much we loved the grounds?! Their gardening staff does a wonderful job (and they are also very friendly folks). We went over to the pool to check it out. Unlike an earlier reviewer, I didn't think it was depressing! It was perfect for kids or anyone else wanting to relax, but we preferred being at the beach.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Mahalo for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you back very soon!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were in bldg 39. We paid an upgrade to "deluxe garden view"Yes, it faced a cactus garden but the view from the lanai could not make up for the incredibly loud traffic noise from the"road" a probably 50 feet from the entrance to our room. I did speak with management about the situation an unfortunately there were no rooms available due to the holiday season. When I booked, through Travelocity, I even called the property office to ask for a third floor room (which I did get) but at no time did they mention the incredibly loud noise from the road, I would have changed my room then. My booking was over 6 months before I was to arrive in Kauai! Having said all this, the condo was spacious for two and the grounds were nice. The Garden Restaurant was lovely and we enjoyed New Years Eve dinner there.The pool which is off site is depressing and if you have young children wanting a pool I would not even think of going here.

Room Tip: As they cannot guarantee your room or bldg except by price in general area of grounds, I would look...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I remember you well - I again apologize that the traffic noise bothered you. We rarely get complaints about it, but we do understand some folks are very light sleepers. As we discussed, I am just really sorry that as we were so full I was unable to offer you an alternative location.

May I suggest that if you return to Kiahuna in the future that you consider renting a Garden Paradise category unit? These are located in the center of the property, and are only slightly more expensive. They certainly don't have the premium pricing that goes with anything "ocean view or beach front".

This is a category only Castle offers - Outrigger does not have it.

Alternatively, you may feel free to contact me for personal assistance in setting up your next stay.

Roy Thompson

Been to Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!