“Southern island” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 30 Specialty lodging in Poipu
Toronto, Canada
“Southern island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent 6 days on the north shore and then move south for a final 5 days. (drive from airport is very easy and with no traffic takes approx 30 minutes). We arrived and were immediately impressed by the stunning well kept grounds. We arrived at check in , where the staff would extremely helpful and very polite and friendly. We were in unit 50 building 10. The apartment was clean , had an excellent balcony facing the garden and was a 3 minute walk to the beach. The beach was clean , free towels and chairs were available . We spent most of our time hiking in the canyon whIch was less than an hour away by car. very close by the resort there were numerous restaurants and grocery shops. There were also BBQs on the grounds which we really enjoyed. Overall we had a very good experience however one area of caution for light sleepers - there is no glass in the windows just shutters with screens - wind / traffic noise could be an issue. There is also a work yard close by and when trucks reverse early in the morning the noise was loud. As I write this they are cutting down branches again the noise is annoying. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and the checkout time of 12.00 was of great benefit. note without the noise factor I would have given 5 stars

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed unit 50. I always like to recomend the Garden Paradise category, as this is one that only Castle offers on property.

We hope that you return very soon!

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Castle has a lot of reviews- I think because they send you an email the second you check out, asking you to do a Tripadvisor review if you've had a positive experience. In any event, my mom and I stayed here in mid-October 2012. We rented on vrbo, but our one bedroom unit was managed by Castle. We had an upstairs corner unit in building 36. Our unit was not fancy, but it was very comfortable and clean. Units are not large (and have one bathroom)- perfect for two people or a family with one or two small children. We loved the large lanai, and we were fine without a/c. And we fell in love with the beautiful grounds of Kiahuna Plantation. It was wonderful to be within walking distance of the ocean, and the shopping center across the street was handy. We had a little noise from neighboring units, since there are no glass windows- just screens and louvers. We knew this ahead of time, and brought our earplugs. One night there was a very noisy wedding at the Plantation Garden restaurant, with amplified music. We called Castle and they said the wedding could make as much noise as they wanted until 10pm. We ended up walking down to the Sheraton, where the music could still be heard! Things did improve somewhat at 10
pm. The folks who staff the little beach shack were very friendly. And did I mention how much we loved the grounds?! Their gardening staff does a wonderful job (and they are also very friendly folks). We went over to the pool to check it out. Unlike an earlier reviewer, I didn't think it was depressing! It was perfect for kids or anyone else wanting to relax, but we preferred being at the beach.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Mahalo for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you back very soon!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were in bldg 39. We paid an upgrade to "deluxe garden view"Yes, it faced a cactus garden but the view from the lanai could not make up for the incredibly loud traffic noise from the"road" a probably 50 feet from the entrance to our room. I did speak with management about the situation an unfortunately there were no rooms available due to the holiday season. When I booked, through Travelocity, I even called the property office to ask for a third floor room (which I did get) but at no time did they mention the incredibly loud noise from the road, I would have changed my room then. My booking was over 6 months before I was to arrive in Kauai! Having said all this, the condo was spacious for two and the grounds were nice. The Garden Restaurant was lovely and we enjoyed New Years Eve dinner there.The pool which is off site is depressing and if you have young children wanting a pool I would not even think of going here.

Room Tip: As they cannot guarantee your room or bldg except by price in general area of grounds, I would look...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I remember you well - I again apologize that the traffic noise bothered you. We rarely get complaints about it, but we do understand some folks are very light sleepers. As we discussed, I am just really sorry that as we were so full I was unable to offer you an alternative location.

May I suggest that if you return to Kiahuna in the future that you consider renting a Garden Paradise category unit? These are located in the center of the property, and are only slightly more expensive. They certainly don't have the premium pricing that goes with anything "ocean view or beach front".

This is a category only Castle offers - Outrigger does not have it.

Alternatively, you may feel free to contact me for personal assistance in setting up your next stay.

Sebastopol, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Love this property. Beautiful lawn and lovely beach. Staff are friendly and happy to please.
We were fortunate to stay right on the ocean.. was a little concerned at first due to being right next to the beach store and access.. but, as soon as the sunset, everyone goes and the beach became all ours!

Room Tip: Pick one of the ocean view or ocean front rooms! Worth the extra dollars and less road and chicken n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mahalo for your visit (and the previous visits as well)!

We hope to see you back for your 4th stay in the near future. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the castle resorts during the christmas week not realizing that it is a vacation condo rental. So what that means is that there is no consistency among the units and what you get is your luck.

Lets begin with the positives - The condos are on the poipu coastline that extends from the Sheraton to the Hyatt. The beach has surf area and then an area towards the sheraton that mostly has swimmers and so a good mix for everyone.

Now comes the fun part: Depending on what you book, your unit might be right on the beach (in which case you were the lucky one) or a quartermile walk away with nothing to help you take your beach luggage (boogieboards, surfboards, etc) to the beach.

Some of the units have a third floor but no elevator - so be prepared to take your luggage to the top floor.

The units themselves are spacious and good for families with children, but the decor you get are dependent on the condo owner's taste. The unit we stayed in had no air-conditioning - but i guess you really dont need that in Kauai. We also had the pest control people knock on our door but since we were checking out the next day, we refused the service.

The complex has no pool (even though it is right on the beach) but they have an arrangement with the Tennis and Pool complex across the street (about half a mile from the beach with no shuttle) where you can go and swim if you would like.

Front desk check in is slow and there is no concierge.

Bottomline - It's probably an OK place because of its location at a two star level. Certainly not a Castle as the name suggests

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Mahalo for your recent visit.

I am sorry you did not enjoy our resort. I am somewhat confused by your review though. In terms of how close you are to the beach, that is determined by the category you book - obviously Beach Front is closer than Garden View. You are correct in noting that the decor of the unit is dependant on the owner, however you don't mention any disappointment in your unit, so I am again unsure why this is an issue. Our owners take pride in thier ownership, and keep them in excellant condition.

Contrary to your statement, there is a concierge service on property, operated by Expedia.

You are correct in that there is no air conditioning in any of the units at Kiahuna.

In spite of my confustion, since you did not grade us positively (2 stars), clearly we did not live up to your expectations, and I again apologize. If your travels ever bring you back to Poipu please feel free to contact me and I will personally assist in making your arrangments, and promise that you will have a memorable stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Castle Kiahuna Plantation provided an amazingly lush, well prepared and stocked room at a fair resort price. We wanted for nothing--our room (155) was obviously the owner's love, and deserving of much pride. The area offers many adventures to choose from plus the relaxing beauty and guilt free pleasure of Kauai's southern beach. We were there for 9 nights and still did not have enough time to experience it all. Mele Kalikimaka, Kiahuna! We will see you again.

• Stayed December 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed 155! It is a beautiful unit and the location is fantastic.

If 9 nights were not enough for you, I would recomend a nice 14 night stay on your next visit!

Mahalo,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Before we even walked into the unit, the grounds blew us away. It's out of a fairy tale. Huge overgrown plants and flowers. Soft rolling hills. Perfect lighting around the trees.

And the unit was even better than the grounds. It was modern and clean, and the owners clearly put thought into the unit. It's the perfect size for a couple.

We were mid-way through our trip, so we did laundry one night and cooked in. The kitchen and dining room worked perfectly for us, and it was just what we needed.

The beach is a 5 minute meandering stroll out the lanai. But you want the stroll to last longer because the grounds are so spectacular. The beach was pristine. And I'm happy to say that it's the sunset side of the island as opposed to the sunrise side!

The one thing that I would change, if I had a magic wand, would be the timing of the sprinklers on the grounds. We slept with the windows open every night, and those sprinklers go on with serious force at some ungodly hour! But given the beauty of the grounds, that's a small price to pay.

When we're back in Kauai, we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for your kind review! Unit 80 is very nice, and the owners work very hard to keep it that way.

We apprecaite your business, and hope to see you return.

Roy Thompson

Been to Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!