My wife, 5 year old son and I stayed here for 8 nights in November and we were very pleased with our choice. The property is made up of privately owned condominiums spread out in these 2 to 4 story buildings but which are also managed as a resort by Castle Resorts. (Outrigger Resorts manages a number of the units as well).
What this means is that there are, or can be, slight differences in the units themselves. We stayed in unit 72, building 13, which is considered ocean view. It is, but you also overlook the gardens and is about a 2 minute walk to the beach. The lanai was a great place to have breakfast and supper, though it got a bit hot and sunny for lunch as there was no shade.
The units come with a full kitchen (fridge/freezer, stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher), dining room, sofa (with a pullout bed), flat screen tv, dvd player, iPod docking station, free wifi (worked well), small beach umbrella, folding table, vacuum, separate bedroom, room safe, plenty of drawers and a nice sized bathroom.
The units don’t have a washer/dryer but the resort does have a self serve laundry facility, which was located really close to our building, so that wasn’t too bad. One thing though is that the machines only take quarters and the change machine was out of order. Luckily, a member of the staff was there who just had enough for us ($5 worth).
There is no air conditioning but that was not an issue at all for us, and I am someone who LOVES AC! There are two ceiling fans and they have these shuttered screens that let in the ocean breezes. On a few occasions, I even had to lower the fans because it was getting too chilly during the night! On the other hand, you may want to stay away from those units that are close to the road, which might be a bit noisier.
There are a number of communal bbq’s, available on a first come first serve basis, but I never had an issue using one. Not sure how this would be in a busier season though.
For groceries, your closest, best option is Big Save in Koloa but around 10 to 15 minutes away, there is a larger Times Supermarket as well as a Kmart and a Costo, and a bit further off is a Walmart. You will pass all of these on your way from the airport, so you might as well stock up.
The beach area is really nice, and the resort provides lots of chairs. You can also rent equipment from the beach side concierge, which is also where you get/exchange your beach towels. Note, this is not Poipu Beach Park, but you can walk through the adjoining resorts if you really want to but we found our beach to be just great. There is also pool area across Poipu Road with a small water slide that my son just loved. No need to bring your towels here as they are provided at the shop.
It is also possible to take surfing lessons and rent surf boards. When you hit the beach, take a right turn and walk around 25 to 50 meters. You can book through the concierge or you can book directly (I used Kauai Surf School, which I loved and could not be booked with the concierge, and which accepts credit cards at the beach).
We also had dinner at Keoki’s Paradise (not affiliated with the resort) twice during our stay, which we really enjoyed, hence why we returned for a second go Both times we ate in the more casual, bar section. There are also a number of shops, including a Whaler’s Village, in the same complex. We did not try the restaurants on the resort.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely consider staying here again.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation & Beach Bungalows Hotel
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation And Beach Bungalows
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation & Beach Bungalows Hotel Poipu
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation Beach Hotel
- Kauai Bungalows
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation Beach Resort
- Beach Bungalows Hawaii
- Kiahuna Plantation
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation & Beach Bungalows
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows Kauai/Poipu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kiahuna Plantation and The Beach Bungalows is on a sandy beach amid 35 acres of lush, landscaped grounds, including Moir gardens. One- and two-bedroom suites offer garden or ocean views and full kitchens. Amenities include barbecues, a restaurant, resort-style pool, jet spa, tennis courts, and a beach activity center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Amex, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.