Great beaches in this area. This property, which shares grounds/building plots with Outrigger, has one of the best stretches of sand in the area. Nice ~10yd sand area at low tide, about 3yd at high tide. Ocean is has some sand and coral, but simple to navigate because the water is so clear. Location to shopping food is fantastic, walk across the street for a plethora of options, notably Puka Dog, Roy's, and Keoki's Paradise. Property is about 30min drive from Lihue airport. Not a bad jumping-off point either for traversing counter- or clock-wise around the island.
Check in is a smooth and simple process. Rooms are grouped in separated blocks, typically 6 per block, 3 up, 3 down. This review focuses on Unit #33 - labeled as ocean view. Ocean view is up for debate, as we could not see the beach or breakers, but you do have some line of sight to the water and palm trees that front the beach area. Most notably for the grounds, the groundskeeping - unbelievable, rivals Augusta National. Every time we walked the grounds, it felt like we were traversing a golf course, one gentlemen was even playing plastic range balls from his lower lanai one evening. The grounds are immaculate - swept every day.
As for our room, the setup was odd for a family of three; luckily, the 3rd is a toddler, so the free pack n play provided by the resort was placed in our bedroom. Had it been an older child, it would have been odd, even if a sofa-bed or roll-away was available - not sure where it would have gone. Quarters are not that cramped, but there was a lot of furniture and furnishings in ours. About the decor, the unit was furnished to a throwback 80s beach house - complete with faux teak/wood furnishings. Jalousies are common to every unit and really do a nice job of cooling the units night or day - some reviews comment they make the units a bit dark, which if closed they do, but most times the are open 50%+ during your stay. Bathroom was newly renovated and had a spacious walk-in shower, but cramped toilet space. A second sink would have been nice considering the occupancy. My BIGGEST gripe was the bed - totally AWFUL. About as firm as quicksand, very restless nights, but at least was able to easily nap on beach a few days in compensation. Terrible 'body grooves' on both sides of the bed.
Units have fridge, range, sink, microwave, and in most cases small appliances such as blenders and toasters. The lanai is large, enough for a lounge chair and table of four. Housekeeping varies depending on the rate/room booked, ours was a daily towel/trash/toiletries replenishment with new linens every three days.
Were we to come back to Poipu with our immediate family (as this case) or larger party, this location is certainly tops on list for value and experience. More recently updated units are on property as well, based on our walks and conversations with other people, but also older or less tasteful furnished units too. Most guide books are correct to call this a mixed bag, but a lot of that can be avoided by choosing Castle over Outrigger, and also requesting known room numbers if a repeat guest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kiahuna Plantation and The Beach Bungalows is on a sandy beach amid 35 acres of lush, landscaped grounds, including Moir gardens. One- and two-bedroom suites offer garden or ocean views and full kitchens. Amenities include barbecues, a restaurant, resort-style pool, jet spa, tennis courts, and a beach activity center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, Orbitz, Agoda, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation And Beach Bungalows
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation & Beach Bungalows Hotel Poipu
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation Beach Hotel
- Kauai Bungalows
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation Beach Resort
- Beach Bungalows Hawaii
- Kiahuna Plantation
- Castle Kiahuna Plantation & The Beach Bungalows Kauai/Poipu