“Great Honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Beaumont, Tx
“Great Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

Well it's been a couple of years since I visited the Hyatt Regency, but since I was reading other reviews for another trip I'm planning I decided to throw my two cents in.

My wife and I stayed in an Ocean view room in June of 2003 on our honeymoon. It was our first time to Hawaii and we loved it. We love how Kauai isn't as built up as the other islands. The resort was fabulous. We didn't have any problems with service or bugs or anything. The place is big and you do have to walk some, but if you can't handle a little walking just stay home and pout. Some of these people writing reviews would complain about anything. This place was perfect and I'd definately stay there again if I could ever afford it again. It is very pricey, but it was our honeymoon so who cares.

The breakfast at the hotel is very good and has a very large selection. I think it was pretty pricey, but it was included with our room so we didn't have to worry about it. You must get an ocean view room. There isn't anything better than waking up and seeing that view. The beach the property is located on is has very rough waves and I wouldn't recommend swimming in it too much. The man made beach is ok, but isn't really anything great. We didn't waste our time there. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful with lots of flowers and trees.

We like to do active things so we snorkeled a lot at Ke'e beach and did the long hiking trail that starts there. That has some great views. I wish we had time to do the whole trail. I think we went 2 miles in where there was a beach that had a pretty neat cave. We were pretty tired after that and it was getting hot. You better get there early to get a parking spot if you want to snorkel or hike there. We also took a kayaking tour up to a waterfall that was very neat. We had a guide that was very educated in all the flowers and trees, which I'm not all that interested in, but she made it interesting. We also took a boat tour around NaPali Coast and snorkeled and got to see some turtles. There is just a lot of things to do if you like to get out and do them. We aren't into all the shows and flash that the other islands may have so if you are you may want to go there.

Anyways, I hope that helped somebody. I can't remember every detail or spelling since it was 2 years ago, but it was an awesome trip.

• Stayed June 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

We've stayed at the Hyatt Regency several times. The grounds are beautiful as is the pool. The restaurants are fabulous. The staff is always friendly, attentive and accomadating. The ground floor rooms can be alittle musty and damp feeling and I would definately recomend paying the extra $ to be on the ocean side as opposed to the Mountain/Parking lot side of the hotel if possible. We have also tried Princeville which is another nice Hotel but lacks the traditional, tropical "hawaiian" feel of the Hyatt.

Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

I had an enjoyable 6 night stay during our honeymoon. We stayed in a King partial oceanview room with a balcony. The rooms seem to be recently renovated and refurnished and are of decent size. The Bathroom has two sinks, one tub with an integrated shower and a toilet with an extra door. You also have a fridge which is nice. However for the price you pay (350-500 USD) the room isn't too fancy.

Public areas are very nice, an open air-lobby and bar. Landscaping is superb and the pools are huge with a fun water slide, childrens and adults pools. However you have a lot of kids in the resort (600 rooms), so be prepared for some noise. The saltwater-lagoon is very nice to swim in as it is a bit more empty. The beach in front of the hotel is named "Shipwreck-Beach" and you will soon find out why ;-) It's great if you are a good surfer but not for swimming. The gym is very dated, but included in the 15 USD resort-fee (as is valet-parking).

Restaurants aren't too exciting. Tidepools is in a nice pond-setting with good food, but service doesn't live up to the high priced food. The Italian Restaurant is good but again overpriced. Stevenson's Library Bar is nice and serves good cocktails.
Breakfast Buffet is very crowded and unrelaxed, Breakfast in the Golf Club House (3 min walk) is the better deal (If you have the breakfast plan you can choose between the buffet and the golf house).
For Dinner i would recommend to drive 2 mins in to Poipu and eat there which is cheaper and better quality.

Generally I think Hyatt Kauai is the best hotel/resort on the island, better than Princeville, but the Value for your money still isn't too good. Just be prepared for that and you will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2005
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2005

We just got back from our honeymoon in Hawaii, and we LOVED the Hyatt Regency Kauai. The property itself is great, the pools fun, not to loud, not at all crowded, and the bonus of the saltwater lagoon just makes it even more fun. The open air lobby and the seaview terrace are top notch. Your body melts into vacation mode the second that you arrive and see the ocean from the lobby.

It is a little bit pricey - we paid over $400 for a 'partial ocean view' that was indeed, very partial. Aside from the view, the room was great, large, comfortable, located right by the pools, and with a large balcony (some of the rooms in more distant locations may not be as pleasant).

My wife and I spend some time in the spa, which is nice, large and clean. My wife - who gets many massages- says that they gave her a very good deep tissue massage.

The in house restaurants are only fair. . . "tidepools" which some people rave about, I only thought it was OK. The other breakfast place is fair. For lunch they don't have any place to get table service, just cafeteria style. . . this is kind of weak.

we loved our time at the Hyatt. After the Hyatt we went to Maui at the 4 seasons, and I think because kauai is less crowded, we preferred it the 4 seasons. . . .that is good company to be in.

• Stayed June 2005
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

We spent 5 nights of our honeymoon at this hotel and it was our favorite part of the honeymoon. When we first arrived and I saw the gorgeous open air lobby I knew that I was in heaven. We got excellent service from the staff the whole time we were there. What a romantic resort!

We had everything we needed in the room included even though we had to pay the $15 per day resort fee. It was nice not to be nickel and dimed like we were at the Hilton Waikaloa village on the big island. The food was good although expensive.

The pool was great and we enjoyed it when we weren't out sightseeing. It was open 24 hours which was really nice in case we got back late.

They gave us free champagne or sparkling juice since we were honeymooners.

A few complaints: We weren't offered the breakfast plan and had to pay for it (expensive!), our first day there we fell asleep and woke up at 11:00 pm hungry and there was no places open to eat. We ended up getting cold sandwiches from room service, which were good, but not what we were looking for. It would be nice if their restaurants were open a little later. We saw a fellow honeymoon couple in the hot tub and the girl had taken off her bikini bottoms (gross!) but that wasn't the hotel's fault. Expect a lot of honeymooners if you go there, it goes with the territory.

Although I had a few complaints I still loved the hotel and would love to stay there again!

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

Upon arrival we were greeted with beautiful leis by very friendly women and helpful bell boys. We were upgraded into a large room with King & Queen size beds with large bath and a wonderful view overlooking gardens and pool area. The bell boy was very friendly and told me that valet is included in the stay and not an extra charge, gota like that!
There are plenty of activities but we were just happy enough to enjoy the resort grounds and relax the first week without rushing to a schedule, we saved that for the second week since we were staying in a house on Tunnels beach. Love everything about the Hyatt, the pool is heavenly and the kids loved the waterslide!!! so did I. The first night we ordered room service and what a delight!!! tried Tidepools the next night and regreted the wait when the food and having to dress up. I highly recommend taking advantage of room service the food quality is just as good!!!Also opt for a different Lu'au off resort. Smith Lu'au is very worth the drive and the food was excellent!!! Hyatt has excellent shopping in the lobby without having to leave. Beautiful birds in the lobby and gardens. This resort has so much to enjoy, so worth every cent!!!Althought everything is expensive well that's the cost of excellences.
Upon leaving this wonderful resort we were sent off with more leis as a farewell. Loved that farewell!

Stayed June 2005
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

I am finally getting around to writing this review. The beaches at this hotel are not great. However, there are lovely beaches not far from the hotel that are nice. We went on a fishing trip, brought the fish back, and the chef at the Tidepools did a great job for one of our evening meals. This is a great hotel for smaller children. However, I wouldn't recommend it for teenagers. We have two teenage boys. Consequently, we always had to leave the hotel beach and go to others. The beach a few miles down from the hotel has great surfing with lessons. The small town nearby has hometown restaurants as well with good prices. Be sure and visit them. The rooms at the hotel are just ok. I have stayed at a lot of hotels with much nicer rooms. The spa isn't that great. It is dated. All and all, we enjoyed our visit. The view of the oceon from the hotel lobby is the greatest view! Also, we always enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!