“Pretty views, poor customer service. Felt ripped off for what we paid. You can do better elsewhere.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Longmont CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We spent 10 days in early December on Kauai. I am a repeat visitor to the islands since I was a child and have been to a variety of accommodations on the islands including Mauai, Hawaii, Oahu, and Lanai. This was my first visit to Kauai.

We split our time between the St Regis in Princeville and the Grand Hyatt. There was no comparison between the two. We both were very disappointed with our accommodations and the service at the Grand Hyatt. The St Regis was a lot better in both regards.

To start with, we reserved a grand Club room package which was supposed to be an upgrade to a premium ocean view room. When we arrived, we were shown to a 4th floor room that had primary views of the garden area and terrace in front of the hotel and a small bit of ocean to the right. We were very disappointed given that we paid for and expected views of the ocean front. We called the desk and asked for a room change and they told us they were full for 3 nights and would place us on a wait list. We never heard back from them. Why sell us a subpar room if you are full? The full price of our package here was close to what we paid at the St Regis and our views at the St Regis were spectacular as well as the service.

The resort itself has a Disneyland type feel - very manufactured and not very natural. The food in the restaurants is pricey and ok. You are better off going off property to Roy's, The Kauai Food, truck and Puka Dog to get better quality food at the same or more reasonable prices.

On our last day, we wanted to book a spa afternoon since we had a late flight out. We called the spa and asked if we could modify either of their packages as we were not into one portion of their "lovers" package and thought we could substitute time with one activity versus another since we were not into the portion of the package where you massage your partner with salt and clay. They had zero flexibility on doing any sort of substitution even though we suggested several alternatives. Custom service is not on the menu here even though the full afternoon packages were very expensive.

I know this review sounds like we might be snobby luxury resort people but we are not. We love staying at hole in the walls as well and just want good value for our money. We paid a lot to stay here and the value just wasn't there.

To be fair in a full review, the views are very nice from the terrace and oceanfront and the hike at the south end of the property is beautiful. Snorkeling at nearby Poipu Beach Park is also wonderful.

I guess we were spoiled by the St Regis in Princeville but we just didn't enjoy our stay at the Hyatt nearly as much. The service difference between the two hotels was night and day.

We probably won't return but if we do, it will be for very limited time. Too bad. This could be a great property if they had more of a customer excellence/experience orientation.

Room Tip: Verify exactly the view you are getting. We paid for an upgrade from premium ocean view and got a cr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kayla H, Manager at Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Aloha,

Mahalo for the time you took to share your experience with us as we appreciate all feedback from our guests. We regret to hear that your time with us did not exceed your expectations and we apologize for being unable to provide you with overall satisfaction while here.

Your comments regarding your stay will be shared with our Leadership team and we thank you for the opportunity to improve. Please know that it is never our intention to provide our guests with a service any less than superior as we strive to create memorable experiences and exceed expectations. Mahalo for being a guest with us here on the South Shore and we hope for the chance to welcome you back for another try.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Warmest Aloha & Mahalo,
Kayla H.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had just come from The Four Seasons in Maui and didn't think it could get better than that but we were wrong. The Grand Hyatt Kauai is a gem. Very special and serene. Kauai in general is a magical place and if we were to go back to Hawaii, we would choose Kauai in a heart beat.

We had a club level ocean view room and were upgraded to a one bedroom suite with two balconies that overlooked the water. It was absolutely breathtaking. The adult pool was nice and quiet. We sat there every day for a few hours a day before exploring the island.

We ate at Seaview Terrace (burgers/pizza/drinks etc). The sunsets from that restaurant were amazing. During our stay the restaurant Tidepools was under renovation which was disappointing as we wanted to eat there. We had access to the club room which was great. They serve a nice breakfast, snacks, and cocktail hour. The club room had it's own concierge which we used a bunch of times. They were so helpful and helped recommend restaurants, excursions etc.

The Grand Hyatt (and Kauai in general) was nice and quiet so we really felt like Honeymooners. It was very romantic and a very special place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel is amazing. We stayed here for two nights for our 10 year anniversary. The service was unbelievable and at all times we felt pampered. The pool at this hotel blows away any pool that I have ever seen. It is massive and goes down a hill so at no time does it feel crowded or loud. It was so relaxing and does a great job capturing the beauty of the island.

The ONLY thing slightly negative that I could say about this hotel is that I did not love the location of where the Hyatt is on the island. We stayed on a different part of the island part of the week that was better centrally located to do activities on the island and tours.

HOWEVER.... If you are looking for a BEAUTIFUL place to chill and relax I could not pick a better hotel on Earth!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

All of our expectations were exceeded at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. The views were breathtaking! The staff were very helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed the luau with the fabulous sunset as the backdrop. The concierge desk was especially helpful! We loved our four days here and will visit again in the future. Best hotel we have ever stayed at!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed at this property several times years ago, with my two little boys. The Lagoon is ideal for families with little kids. This time, my kids were in college, my husband was on business, so we decided to try the Hyatt again. I was still impressed! The rooms could be a tiny bit more luxurious, and if they were, it would be a perfect place. They are nice, just could use a few luxurious touches. However, the property is beautiful, amazingly maintained, and the service was truly pretty amazing, which is why I gave the excellent rating. From the front desk (who were flexible and willing to help you choose the best room for your needs in the category you booked), the bell men, the housekeepers, literally every single employee seemed happy and made an effort to greet you, and offer help. We later headed to the St. Regis, and though service was great, I would say the Hyatt's employees were extraordinary. Beautiful property, 4 star (rather than 5) rooms, good housekeeping service, very nice spa (I had a great pedicure, though the salon needs an update, and it was pricey), decent buffet. I liked that they had chairs you could take out to the beach, that was a nice touch. There was no nonsense about how many beach towels you could have, etc. I love the retail shops at the Hyatt, and finally,TidePools Restaurant is always amazing. Great setting, and the food is delicious. So worth it, we went twice! Overall, Grand Hyatt is lovely and because of the superior service, extremely relaxing. Poipu wing for ocean front rooms, Shipwreck if you have little kids.

Room Tip: Ocean front in Poipu Wing is closest to the ocean; definitely a walk to the pool. With little kids...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We relocated to the Grand Hyatt from another condominium property that was unsatisfactory to our liking. The five nights at the Grand Hyatt made our vacation!! Our stay there was only five nights but we ended up feeling like we had been there for 10 days. The facilities were out of this world, offering several different swimming venues and options. The service poolside was efficient, such reminded me of being on a cruise ship. There was entertainment and activities offered throughout the day and evening should one be interested.The room was not large but offered quality amenities. All staff were friendly and helpful, everyone would greet you with an 'aloha" no matter what time of day. We pulled up to the front entrance, exited our vehicle and both had a floral lei placed around our neck. Now that is the aloha spirit. Many thanks to all staff for our most memorable five nights.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Grand Hyatt from the 4-10 of November, 2013. This was perhaps the most relaxing, enjoyable stay I've had at a hotel in a long time. From the time you pull up to the door and receive your flower lei to the check out process, this hotel was first rate. I had the food fortune at staying in this hotel the first year it was open. I was a little hesitant to go back for fear it would feel older and not as good as I remembered. To my surprise, it was even better than I remembered. The room was a 4th floor, view of the front door and parking lot, but was just as beautiful as any garden view I've ever had. The room was huge, with a King sized bed and a Queen sized bed. There was a table and chairs, and a seating area. There was an in room safe along with a frig that I could actually use for my own stuff! The Bathroom was like a room of it's own. The tub, which was framed in marble, was clean and I had no hesitation taking a relaxing bath in it. There were double sinks, with loads of storage area on both sides. The amenities were luxurious and the maid left a new batch every single day, even if I did not use what was there from the day before. Yes, I have to say, I enjoyed the heated commode. Not everyone would, but I sure did! There were two very plush, very clean robes in the closet as well as a beach/shopping bag to use and keep. There was a coffee pot with coffee and tea. Every room has a spacious balcony. Each day you were greeted by friendly, happy staff that actually seemed to be enjoying their job. The bell and valet staff offered beach towels and water every single morning when we departed. Whenever it was raining, there were tons of umbrellas at the front door as well as the rear door leading to the pool/beach area. We used the self parking which was crowded, but what do you want for free! Yes, there is a resort fee, but in my opinion, it is totally worth it for all the amenities received.
I have no idea how anyone could complain about this hotel unless they were looking to complain! If you are not happy with your room, just ask for another one. I can't imagine that they would not go out of their way to make you happy. My partner complains about everything and he could not find anything at this hotel to complain about. This was a first!
Do not stay here if you want a budget hotel. It is expensive, but the meals were excellent. If you get the hotel at a good rate on hotwire, or anywhere else, expect to drive out for meals. However, they are about par with the high end places throughout the Island.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!