We spent 10 days in early December on Kauai. I am a repeat visitor to the islands since I was a child and have been to a variety of accommodations on the islands including Mauai, Hawaii, Oahu, and Lanai. This was my first visit to Kauai.
We split our time between the St Regis in Princeville and the Grand Hyatt. There was no comparison between the two. We both were very disappointed with our accommodations and the service at the Grand Hyatt. The St Regis was a lot better in both regards.
To start with, we reserved a grand Club room package which was supposed to be an upgrade to a premium ocean view room. When we arrived, we were shown to a 4th floor room that had primary views of the garden area and terrace in front of the hotel and a small bit of ocean to the right. We were very disappointed given that we paid for and expected views of the ocean front. We called the desk and asked for a room change and they told us they were full for 3 nights and would place us on a wait list. We never heard back from them. Why sell us a subpar room if you are full? The full price of our package here was close to what we paid at the St Regis and our views at the St Regis were spectacular as well as the service.
The resort itself has a Disneyland type feel - very manufactured and not very natural. The food in the restaurants is pricey and ok. You are better off going off property to Roy's, The Kauai Food, truck and Puka Dog to get better quality food at the same or more reasonable prices.
On our last day, we wanted to book a spa afternoon since we had a late flight out. We called the spa and asked if we could modify either of their packages as we were not into one portion of their "lovers" package and thought we could substitute time with one activity versus another since we were not into the portion of the package where you massage your partner with salt and clay. They had zero flexibility on doing any sort of substitution even though we suggested several alternatives. Custom service is not on the menu here even though the full afternoon packages were very expensive.
I know this review sounds like we might be snobby luxury resort people but we are not. We love staying at hole in the walls as well and just want good value for our money. We paid a lot to stay here and the value just wasn't there.
To be fair in a full review, the views are very nice from the terrace and oceanfront and the hike at the south end of the property is beautiful. Snorkeling at nearby Poipu Beach Park is also wonderful.
I guess we were spoiled by the St Regis in Princeville but we just didn't enjoy our stay at the Hyatt nearly as much. The service difference between the two hotels was night and day.
We probably won't return but if we do, it will be for very limited time. Too bad. This could be a great property if they had more of a customer excellence/experience orientation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Find the true essence of paradise at Grand Hyatt Kaua’i Resort & Spa. Set on the soothing white sands in Poipu, on Kauai’s sunny south shore, this luxury resort unfolds on over 50 acres of lush gardens. The resort’s classic Hawaiian architecture with open courtyards and lush gardens welcomes the tropical breeze. Freshly renovated rooms blend clean simple lines with Hawaiian design elements to create a private retreat. A water wonderland awaits with a quiet adult area, lava-rock river pool, waterslide, and saltwater lagoon. Play championship golf at Poipu Bay Resort. Sample delicious island flavors at one of six restaurants. And for a spa experience like no other, visit Anara Spa where open-air treatments use island-fresh botanicals to refresh and renew. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt Kauai Hotel Poipu
- Hyatt Poipu
- Poipu Hyatt
- Grand Hyatt Poipu
- Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort Spa
- Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort And Spa Poipu