“Good for a timeshare resort” 3 of 5 stars

The Point at Poipu
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1613 Pe'E Road, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756 (Koloa)   |
Ranked #14 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Portland, Oregon
“Good for a timeshare resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Be aware that through the month of May and maybe a bit longer the resort will be performing major exterior maint. which can be very noisy and a bit smelly with diesel fuel when they drive the forklift back and forth. If you intend to sit on your lanai part of the time during the day 8-6 then this will be annoying if your room is somewhat near the contruction. That would be the main negative item about the resort. Also we thought maybe they would stop Sat.-Sun but they are working 7 days a week I assume to complete the construciton quickly. If you will not use your lanai then this construction should generally not be an issue.

This resort is a timeshare resort and they do book through several of the travel websites. I traded my points in Orlando for this resort and generally the resort is fine. Like others have said it is not a 5 star and I would lean more towards a 3 star. Our room was a little dated but perfectly fine and they fixed the air cond within a couple of hours of reporting the issue. An air cond in each bedroom is really nice! The pool is great for families and younger children up to 10 years old but be aware it is shallow and no diving or jumping or that type of goofing around so your older kids may get a little bored. A sand beach is about a 5-10 min. walk away but really too rough for smaller children at least during our time in May. You can drive to Poipu Beach within 5 min. which is marvelous. There are also many other beaches within 30 min. and I learned that the surf and tides can change several times a day so you should check with the Pool attendants who daily get the beach reports and can give you a hint on where to go that day. We had no other issues with noise like roosters/abnoxious guest/svistiors which I have encountered at some other Kauai resorts.

Grocery shopping is best done in Lihue (Costco if it makes sense). If you go to the Koloa grocery store 5 min. away you will pay an arm and a leg for every item. Also, all restaraunts we checked in Popui were very expensive especially for dinner $20-40 per adult. They know you have money and will gladly take it if you choose to eat out. I suggest eating lunches out since they seem to be half the price and eating dinners at the condo. In a pinch this resort does have a small kitchen at the pool that serves a limited menu but the pricing is not too outrageous.

I would stay at this resort again as a timeshare exchange. If you get a deal from a travel site on a nightly rate then I would also stay here but I would not pay full price for this resort.

• Liked — Good family pool, near a beach, spacious condo, air conditionar in each bedroom
  • Disliked — Current exterior maintenance noise and dirt
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Tysons Corner, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

There is no nicer place on earth than Poipu Hawaii. I took my family of 5 on a trip in March and was only slightly impressed. It is a shame. This is potentially one of the most beautiful spots on the island and the owners and mangement have let the hotel decline. I know that most of the resort is timeshare and from looking at various resale info they only charge a maintance fee of about $1,100 per year. While to many on the mainland, this may seem high but for a property in Hawaii this is nothing. It would be great for Suntera (the ownership group) to charge a few hundred dollars a week more and turn it into a great property.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

Our first impression was WOW! How nice!
Big 2 bedroom suite! Nice view of pool and ocean in background...BLDG 8 Room 405. (top floor)
But then we realized the service is somewhat lacking and the aloha spirit was mediocre at best!
In fact, at breakfast we were treated rudely when we showed up with our "invitations" which were placed on our beds inviting us to a "free" breakfast since we told these were NOT invitations but for show only...
Then she said since we were doing ENCORE, we were not entitled to free breakfast..which I found out later on, we did have a coupon which just needed to be validated by the encore desk.

Also, housekeeping also told us were not entitled to any housekeeping for the one week we there...which also turned out not to be true, since they did come once again on the 4th day.
But if you wanted new bath towels at a different time..$15 charge!
You should have at least enough towels for each couple staying in the condo for the week.

However, if you get a good deal..it is definitely worth it! The area is beautiful...Nice location next door to Hyatt....short drive to Poipu Beach for excellent swimming and snorkeling..

We did the presentation, but had no intention of purchasing...Not high pressure..

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff and service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

After having declined a timeshare offer last year, we were in the end offered a return visit for $1300, provided we would attend a timeshare meeting during that period.
We accepted that, and booked in May, 2007, for a mid-February return. We've just returned home.
Despite the early booking, and the request for a partial ocean view, we were put into a room with what I call the view from hell. It's located at 8206, a second floor unit with the lanai looking directly out on the dirty yellow gravel roof of the breakfast area. At eye level, sitting on the lanai, the major view is that glaring roof. You have to work to see the lovely pool area beyond. Since one of the beauties of a resort stay is being able to relax on the lanai with a cup of coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening and enjoy the view, whether ocean or garden, the fact that our viiew was majorly blocked by ugliness took the shine off our experience there.
I immediately contacted the front desk. Even though we had been told in the literature that rooms were allocated on a best available upon arrival basis, and we arrivied at the very beginning of check-in time, we were told that that were no other options. Would it help if we would wait? No, they were full. But we booked back in May and we were here at the beginning of check-in.... Sorry.
The resort is well situated, and the rooms are spacious, but as has been reported, the kitchenware in sparse, and there were no non-stick pans. Linens and towels, as has also been reported, need some major help. And the furniture is getting tired. But even with some drawbacks the place can offer a nice stay if you're lucky enough to get a decently positioned unit.
I would not stay there again myself because I didn't get ANY help or understanding when I tried--first thing in the check-in period- to receive any help. Nor was I able to get any help the 2nd day when I inquired as they suggested I do. And, mind you, I was not asking for ocean view but just to be put in a unit where I could have some view other than a yellow gravel roof.
I took photos of the view from eye level on the lanai, and took them with me to the time share presentation I was required to go to. I suggested that they put them in their next brochure so that thay might attract more buyers. Needless to say, if I had had any consideration of making a purchase, that went out the window when I could get no help with our request to change rooms.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

It's interesting reading other people's reviews. We are going next month and this will be our 7th time in the last 6 years coming here. (I'll be 7 months pregnant and am choosing to go here because it is so lovely and relaxing.) We bought in as owners back when it was still EVR. I will tell you that there has been a slight change in service since it is no longer owned by EVR...it went from fantastic to good. Other than that, I just love this place. We have stayed at the resort on Maui and have spent time on every other island as well.

If you are looking for a 5 star resort, well no, this isn't one. (Uh, by the way there are only about 40 5 star resorts in the entire country.) This is a quiet, clean, well-run, family-friendly establishment. The Hyatt is right next door and offers all the ammenities of a major resort, you can walk there in a few minutes and have all the "5 star" ammenities you feel you need. They just redid all of the rooms last year, so the furnishings and window treatments are all brand new. The rooms are very large compared to other places I have stayed averaging 1200-1400 square feet for the two bedroom. I love the adult spa and the pool. The pool is a shallow beachy lagoon style pool. When I want to go swimming I just go down the street to Poipu beach. Why smim in the pool with the warm ocean is right there?? I stayed at EVR Maui which has a much larger pool, and never set foot in it...just went straight for the ocean.
The only time we had a problem with noise was two years ago. We had a rowdy couple next to us partying at night-we called the front desk and they handled the problem asap. Also, to the review that talks about noisy parking lot. As anyone who really knows Kauai can attest, this island "shut's down" early. It gets very quiet after dark-the opposite of Oahu. It is NOT noisy-quite the opposite. And I'm sorry to offend any smokers out there but AMEN to the non-smoking rule. If you live in California you should be used to this. I want to sit on my Lanai and breathe in the ocean air...not my neighbor's cigarette smoke.

I have been all over the world and to every island and Kauai is my personal favorite. (By the way, we stayed at the Marriott once down the road and our foom faced the parking lot and we couldn't even hear the ocean...not good.)

It obviously makes a difference what type of room you get. We've been there enough now that we know where the best areas are. We have ocean front reserved next month and are thrilled.

Enjoy your stay =)

• Stayed October 2007
Montrose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

Our first impression of the Point -- the grounds are well kept. The koi ponds and waterfalls are pretty and relaxing. However, once you enter the suite, it was a different story. This is not a 5-star timeshare. At best, it is a 3-star. Our suite smelled like it was clean, but a quick glance under the beds in the guest suite proved not to be so. The white plastic lining on the drapes in the guest suite were filthy! The windows looked like they had been cleaned years ago. The bath tub in the main suite was brown with use. It's the little details that often go a long way and also make a 3 or 4 star into a 5 star experience. The details are definitely lacking at the Point. The kitchen is not well stocked for a family of four, so if your idea is to cook and save money on meals out, good luck. There were cracked tiles most places I looked, inside and out of the suite. The bath towels were either threadbare or stained. The sheets and pillows were substandard (lumpy, uncomfortable pillows and sheets that didn't quite fit the beds). On a positive note, the suite is a good size and being on the top floor in building three, we did not have noise above us. It was pretty busy while we were there, and parking close to the unit was not always available, but that was a minor concern. The front desk staff were just OK. Nothing special. We were asked three times if we wanted to do the timeshare presentation and we declined. The Point pales in comparison to the amenities and service at the EVR in Maui. Kauai is a beautiful island with lots to do and see. I would recommend the ziplining at Princeville Ranch. I would also recommend the north shore beaches, but get there early for parking. Pomodoro restaurant is worth a visit. Keoki's Paradise was also good. You may get sticker shock from some restaurants -- it's definitely expensive to eat out. I would recommend buying the Ultimate Guide to Kaui, which has choices for all budgets and is also a good guide to the island in general. A must is a drive up through Waimea canyon. Also, if you have a 4WD vehicle, try and get out to Polihale beach, which is sheer beauty. I would go back to Kauai, but I would not stay at the Point again.

• Liked — Size of the quite
  • Disliked — Suite not kept up to a high standard
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

This was my first time to Kauai, and it was a beautiful place and I would definitely go back again. However, I would not stay at this resort again - please note I am a club owner but there are no special preferences given to those who are club owners (have shares through Diamond Resorts). Although it has beautiful grounds, their customer service needs major help. 1. The room was dusty and not well cleaned. 2. The pillows were lumpy and when we asked for more, we ended up with two more lumpy pillows. 3. There were twin beds in the 2nd room and we traveled with another couple who had to push the beds together. They said housekeeping would do it, but they never did. 4. We requested a room with a partial view but we had to stick our heads out the deck to see the view - bad advertising. 5. We asked for late check-out and I had to talk to 4 different people before the manager who didn't show up until 10 in the morning told us that we could have a late check by 30 minutes (check out 11 am so they let us check out at 11:30) -- and I was only asking for 1 PM, which is standard at every other place I've been to. 6. We went through the resort tour and spoke with a nice man who was extremely helpful (since he knew I was already a club owner he didn't push it -- the only thing he could try to sell was for me to buy more points & own both Lake Tahoe & Kauai), but my friends ended up with someone who was extremely rude to them, so it just depends on who you get. I don't think I would have used up so many points to stay here. My condo at Lake Tahoe has much better customer service, but I haven't been there since Diamond Resorts took over, so who knows....

• Liked — Nice grounds
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Point at Poipu? Share your experiences!