“Well worth finding a little off the beaten track” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa di Amici

Casa di Amici
2301 Nalo Rd, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756-9779 (Koloa)
808 742 1555
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa di Amici is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 29 restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Koloa
Cross street: Hoone
Seattle
“Well worth finding a little off the beaten track”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Italian, fancy menu, fine service, great foods. We enjoyed a delightful evening at well set tables. Service was upscale and our family of 4 adults and a 2 year old had a great evening.

66% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Little Italy on Kauai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Loved every bit of our meal (even if they didn't have fresh bread that day!). Our waiters were very nice and helpful and attentive to our wine levels.

It's a house tucked away in Poipu and I would never find it myself if we weren't following our friends. We had an early Sunday evening reservation, which meant we had the deck almost all to ourselves. There were 8 of us so we shared some salads and garlic bread. I believe our salads were a special of the day. It was very good.

My husband had the filet special- petite filet with pasta and a cognac sauce!!! I had the porcine crusted chicken, which wasn't really "crusted" but sautéed with cherries and mushrooms. Oh my, it was wonderful! I had a taste of my friend's scampi which was very good.

We had dessert too, but I can't remember what it was. Bread pudding maybe? Either way it was very good too. The table shared wine and I had a cocktail that was nice. Overall, it was a wonderful start of our vacation and would highly recommend visiting!

Laguna Niguel, California
“THE Place for Seafood Pasta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We truly enjoyed our dinner at Casa Di Amici. I had the tiger prams with linguine, and my wife had black tiger prawns over farfalle. Both were excellent preparations. We started with beautifully prepared salads, organic greens or me and a caprese style salad with olives and a tapenade for my wife. Both went perfectly with a Vermentino from, yes, Lodi, California. Our server, Mai, was delightful. All in all, a very fine meal

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Tucked-Away, Cozy Excellence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Imagine ordering a Spanish dish at an Italian restaurant in the heart of the Hawaiian seaside. That's was my experience recently as I found myself dining at Casa di Amici ("House of Friends") in Poipu, Kauai.

My initial goal was to find a location on the island where I could photograph the fabled Hawaiian sunset. This mean either the north or the south shore. I chose the southern region because it's flatter and would offer me more vistas for my photographing. Having thus chosen, I decided to cap off my camera duties with a dinner in the area. Some online research found me Casa di Amici, and one of the descriptions suggested it might be hard to find, as it's nestled in a residential corner of this popular seaside resort. Unbowed, I made a reservation through OpenTable, and off I went to seek the sunset.

The sunset was less spectacular than I'd hoped, but undeterred, off I went to find the restaurant. It actually wasn't hard, as there are signs indicating its presence if one just pays attention. Arriving early, I parked in the small-ish lot and entered. I was a half hour early, but the maitre d' verified my reservation and led me to a table, which was on the porch, out in the fresh air. A charming waitress offered me the menu and asked for my drink order. On a whim, I chose an Australian (there's that multinationalism again!) ginger beer, called Bundaberg. Snappy, although I nearly gasped when I saw that one small bottle contained 40g of sugar! At least it was pure cane sugar and not the artificial stuff.

Affirming that I would like an order of bread, I had a choice of condiments to accompany it, and I chose hummus. When it arrived it was obviously homemade, dark and aromatic, and tasted exquisitely fresh.

For an appetizer I ordered the Chili Verde Risotto: a classic chili verde of braised pork with jalapeno and Anaheim chili hili, fresh cilantro, onion, garlic and cumin served with a grilled tortilla. Rich and piquant without being overwhelming.

Staying with the risotto motif, but changing nationalities, I ordered the Paella Risotto: a classic dish from Spain, prepared with black tiger prawns, fresh fish, chicken breast and home made Italian sausage in a saffron-vanilla sauce with lobster glace, cumin, and cream finish with fresh tri-color bell peppers and peas. Thick and marbled with complementary and contrasting flavors, this dish was a belly buster! I didn't particularly care for the sausage, but I prefer a more garlicky taste in mine, so this was really a matter of personal taste.

Regardless, I had thought to save room for dessert, but when I put down my spoon for the last time, I had no room left. I finished the meal with a cup of coffee, which was a little bit of a let-down, considering this is Hawai`i and coffee is one of the islands' main products. Maybe I was just too full to appreciate it.

Dining solo, without alcohol, my meal including tip came to $66. Given that I was prepared to pay more, I think this meal was appropriately priced and worth every penny.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“I remember it better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We visited this restaurant 5 years ago, and it didn't live up to my memory. It was good, and pleasant, but the atmosphere and the menu seems a little tired. Before I remember the chef being a bit more inventive. This was good and dependable Italian fare.