“Great place with beautiful landscaping.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plantation Gardens Restaurant

Plantation Gardens Restaurant
2253 Poipu Rd, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756 (Koloa)
+1 808-742-2121
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Plantation Gardens Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 29 restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Koloa
Description: Plantation Gardens Restaurant & Bar is located in a beautifully restored plantation manor on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. Dating back to the 1930's, the estate once served as the plantation manager's home for Hawaii's first sugar plantation, the Koloa plantation. Later, the estate was acquired by the Moir Family who built the world famous gardens that surround the restaurant. Our menu reflects the heritage of old plantation Hawaii, which celebrates the abundance and beauty of the Hawaiian Islands. Our fresh fish is caught daily by local fishermen in waters off Kauai. We use organically grown vegetables and herbs picked fresh on nearby farms and from our own gardens. Guests may choose to dine on our lanai overlooking tranquil gardens, lily ponds and tropical foliage or in our exquisitely refurbished dining room which features gorgeous Brazilian cherry wood floors, woven bamboo tables and plantation ceiling fans.
CAROL STREAM
“Great place with beautiful landscaping.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The best features were how they had designed the koi fish ponds and their lawn with beautiful rare flowers and plants. I ordered stir fry veggies with tofu and great smoothie. My food was ok, my husband had fish and said it was really good. Overall great Hawaiin style restaurant. I got reservation through open table. Enjoy your visit. This is a good place to try.

Visited October 2012

77% Recommend
Bay Area
“Wonderful Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We really enjoyed dining at this restaurant. The food was great (the best seafood that I've had in Kauai), the view of the gardens was relaxing, service was friendly and not rushed, and the restaurant had a classy feel to it, without being pretentious in any way. It's the type of restaurant where I don't mind spending a little more money, because after dinner, you truly feel it was worth what you spent. Highly recommended!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not what it used to be!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Six years ago I thought this was the best restaurant on the island. It might have been then but it has substituted great food at a reasonable price and exceptional service for store bought cookies, tiny portions of dry, overlooked entrees and an aloof staff of servers. Four of our 4 entrees were bad enough to lead us to a bowl of cereal when we returned to our Marriott next door. $150 for 4 lousy meals, and of course the chips ahoy cookies with a lump of ice cream tucked in between. Try Casa Di Ameci (might have spelled it wrong) right around the corner, hidden among residences. It's a better investment and the staff & food are much, much better. Signed "Abe".

“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We had a very good meal here last night. We shared the Caesar salad as a starter and I had the stir fry fish while my husband had the spare ribs. It compares in price to the other places where we have dined on the island. It was a very pleasant place to eat overlooking the gardens with the tiki torches.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Walnut Creek, California
“Restaurant needs help.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a review for the restaurant only:

We just visited the Island of Kauai and while there we visited the Plantation Restaurant and Bar. My mother in law had a wonderful meal with a similar name and she thought this may have been the place.

Unfortunately, our meals where not as she remembered.

Location: Although we visited at nighttime and we were not able to really see the setting but you can just feel the history and it really did feel like it was once a working plantation.

Restaurant: I ordered the Sauteed Ono which looked more like fish soup. I thought I was going to get Ono that was sauteed in a nice sauce but instead it came in a bowl of liquid. And it was TERRIBLY under seasoned.

My wife decided to have the Grilled Ono which came on a plate that was about 14 inches long and the fish was all the way on the left side and the other 2/3's of the plate and a BIG swatch of curry type sauce. Again, the fish was under seasoned and the only thing that made her dish taste "OK" was the curry sauce.... but in opinion, why do you get all this curry sauce if you ordered a grilled fish...??

My group ordered two Cucumber Mojito drinks and all though they looked and smelled wonderful... they were a big disappointment. I don't even think they had any simple syrup and Mojitos are one of my wife's favorite beverage.

The place was very nice with a lot of interesting old photographs hanging around the restaurant. Waiter gets a "B" and the busboy gets and "A" for doing an excellent job.

Obviously, the visit was a let down because the place has so much potential and we wanted to like it. Sadly, we will NOT be returning.

• Visited October 2012