“A Hot Dog stand I can get behind!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Puka Dog

Puka Dog
2360 Kiahuna Plantation Dr, Poipu Shopping Village, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756 (Koloa)
808-742-6044
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Neighborhood: Koloa
Anchorage, Alaska
“A Hot Dog stand I can get behind!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is now going to be a Must Have when we come to Kauai! I've seen complaints about the size of the buns vs the size of the dogs, but I did not have this problem at all. I was skeptical about the lemon garlic 'sauce' and the relishes, but went with the recommended low spice sauce and mango relish and I was in heaven! My husband got a spicier sauce, but didn't tell a difference between the spiciness of his and mine. We also got some of the lilkoi (passionfruit) mustard which was a fun addition, and I'm not a big mustard fan! I was skeptical a hot dog would really fill me, but it really did! The hot dog, lemonade (which was ok, but not as tart as I like) and a bag of chips I shared with my husband were a fantastic lunch and just right for a nice, hot, beach day!

Seating in the tiny restaurant is very limited, there is seating just outside as well, though.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Buckeye, Arizona
“Veggie dogs - yes please!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great to have veggie dogs on the menu here...My only complaint is that i was expecting the relish to be like a traditional crunchy relish and it was more like a runny custard. Wasn't too much a fan of the consistency, but taste was good. I'll take what i can get when it comes to finding a veggie hotdog stand. Glad to have them on the island.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santa Clara, Utah, United States
“pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

very expensive for a hotdog. good, but not any better than roasting on a stick with lots of sourcroute

Visited August 2013
San Francisco
“Puka dogs are to die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Like no dog you'll ever have. Ever! Puka means hole in Hawaiian and what this small restaurateur does is make is fresh home made sweet hawaiian bread with a hole in the center to accept a hot dog. I was skeptical at first about trying garlic and strange relishes with coconut or mango on my dog. It took one visit and my family is hooked. Absolutely acrmptious! There is a vegetarian option too! At the whalers village in poipu.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Morris, Illinois
“A MUST TRY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

No visit to Kauai would be complete without a meal at Puka Dog! This mouth watering treat gives you an opportunity to select fruity base sauces to enhance the taste of the sausage that fits snugly into the bun that is baked with a hole in it just the right size for the "dog". Delicious and a dish that you won't find duplicated at other fast food shops. You add Hawaiian chips and a refreshing drink to complete your dining experience. YUM!!

• Visited March 2013