“Amazing Deal for the Quality and the Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hale Maka Guest Suites

Hale Maka Guest Suites
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poipu
Hale Maka Guest Suites
You added Hale Maka Guest Suites to your Saves list
1690 Keleka Road, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756-9582 (Koloa)   |
Ranked #27 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Canton, Oh
“Amazing Deal for the Quality and the Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

I looked all over the place on Kauai for a place to stay on my honeymoon, and almost everywhere was pretty expensive - even for pretty poor looking hotels. Finding the Hale Maka Guest Suites was a lifesaver.

Not only was it incredibly reasonably priced, but it was in a PERFECT location. Just down the road from Poipu beach (the nicest area on Kauai, in my opinion).

The property itself was gorgeous - Kathie and Lee keep it up very well.

PROS:
- Great location
- Amazing house
- Delicious breakfasts
- Unbeatable price!

CONS:
- Did run into a lizard and a gigantic spider in our room on the first night, but I suppose they're all over the island

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

On the whole, this place is indeed delightful, as everyone else has said. However, I did experience some eyebrow raising irregularities here.

The first was that they don't make up the rooms! So much for basic expectations. They do take out the trash once in a while. This lack of basic service makes the dollar value significantly less than what it seems -- though it's certainly still worth staying. But it's not exactly the pampered experience you might think when you first walk in the door.

The other oddity was with the billing. When Kathie sent me the preliminary invoice before my visit, I pointed out that she was incorrectly applying the Transient Accomodations Tax. She was calculating the sales tax on the room charge and then applying the TAT to the subtotal of that, so I was getting taxed on the sales tax as well. To make a long story short, we exchanged several emails about this, and I even sent her documentation from the State of Hawaii that clearly showed that she was wrong. She never conceded, and instead curtly stated that she had been an accountant for many years and therefore she must be right and suggested that I stay someplace else instead if I didn't agree. Needless to say, I didn't press the issue -- the difference was only a dollar or two, but since I was traveling on business, it's awkward to present reimbursement charges when you know they're incorrect and will be reviewed. I also double checked previous bills from hotels in Hawaii that all confirmed the normal computation. I didn't raise it again, but when I left, I did leave a copy of the State of Hawaii documentation, with the relevant sections highlighted. I hope this means that she's now calculating other people's bills correctly, but she certainly never acknowledged this, much less apologized or thanked me.

On the other hand, the breakfasts were fabulous, and Lee is bend-over-backwards helpful. The free wireless internet worked great, too. Those who are allergic to dogs should be informed that they have two small dogs. On the whole, it really is a wonderful place to stay, barring these relatively minor irregularities.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Hale Maka over New Year's. We enjoyed it very much. KAthie and Lee are very gracious hosts and Kathie's breakfasts every morning were a great way to start the day. Very yummy in the tummy. Huevos Rancheros is a hit! My wife loved the fruit plate every morning. Kathie is a great source of information, she is fun to chat with while she cooks breakfast, and will offer great tips on what to do and where to go.

Hale Maka is two bedrooms that Kathie and Lee rent out of there home. They are downstairs from the main house, so privacy is not a concern. The rooms are very clean, the bed is very comfortable and Kathie has the fridge filled with water, soda and a bottle of wine on arrival. Also there are some snack foods in a basket.
The beach is just a short walk away through a very nice neighbourhood, and at the end of a beach day, you can come back and enjoy the pool and hot-tub. Big Bonus.

We are animal lovers , so we enjoyed having the two dogs around, Nikki and Keri, they were lots of fun.

All in all a great place to stay for the $$. If your going to Kaui, you can't go wrong staying at Hale Maka.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Hale Maka Guest Suites and loved it. It's not a typical B & B except in the sense that the hosts do provide you with a bed and breakfast. The owners, Lee and Kathie, have a gorgeous home in the Poipu area within walking distance to the Hyatt. They rent out two rooms on the bottom floor of their home for $125 per night including breakfast. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable with an en suite bath, flat panel tv, mini fridge and microwave, and a queen size bed. There is a small sitting area right outside the rooms where you can watch DVDs (she has tons and they are all recent releases) or read a book.

Kathie's breakfasts were extraordinary. Each day we were offered tea or coffee, juice, a big plate of fresh fruit, and copious amounts of freshly cooked breakfast items. She made us an awesome banana souffle one morning, a veggie frittata another morning, and bacon and eggs another morning. We were also offered toast and fresh mango bread to go along with our meals on most days. She was happy to chat with us as she was cooking breakfast and then would bid us goodbye and send us on our way for the rest of the day.

You have access to a washer and dryer here, free Wi-Fi, free parking in the driveway and use of things like a cooler, beach mats, boogie boards, and surfboards.

The house is about a 10-15 minute walk from Poipu Beach and it is an easy drive to the Poipu Village Shopping Center which has a good number of restaurants.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Hilo,HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

When we booked there was only one review. We did not know what to expect...the price was reasonable and it sounded nice. Everything was beyond our expectations. The room was very nice-super soft sheets and towels- clean- nice bathroom. Kathie and Lee even took the time to put a few things in the fridge for us.
Breakfast was always very tasty and plentiful, it was a great way to start the day.
The neighborhood has walkways throughout so you can reach several destinations (the beach, restaurants, other resorts)without ever walking on the road. Poipu was a great area with nice beaches.
Kathie and Lee were accomodating in many ways- we took surfboards they had the perfect spot in their garage for them - their were beach chairs and boogie boards we could use- beach towels-
We can't say enough about this B&B we would definitly stay there again. (wish we were still there! =)

Stayed May 2007

Been to Hale Maka Guest Suites? Share your experiences!