We stayed at two hotels on Kauai, partly to be on different parts of the island and to reduce driving around.
This hotel was good, but is missing food. They expect you to drive to nearby suburban-like outdoor malls and figure it out on your own. There is some food at the bar near the pool for part of the day. We were happy with that food and drink.
The room was large and clean. We had plenty of towels to use at the beach. (We never used the pools. In fact, one day the pools were roped off. I was curious, and almost asked, but didn't since we weren't using them anyway.)
The reason to stay here is the beach. If you walk on the sand, you'll only get 5% of the experience. If you go for a swim on the water, you'll get another 25%. The real bonus is the tidal pools (bring a camera and some protective sandals) and swimming under the water (bring a water-proof camera, mask, and snorkel).
There are sea turtles occasionally in the water and on the beach.
There is a lot going on under the water. Various fish are plentiful. You'll also see coral and urchins. The coral will remind you that swimming is probably better for preserving the area than walking on the bottom, and the urchins will remind the less cooperative and sharing among us. You'll really only take it all in with a mask, and then you'll want the camera once you see what is there.
In the 80's Hunama bay was similar to this. By 2003, it had been loved to death, I assume with people damaging the coral too much. This is still preserved, and you'll want to leave it in good shape to return to in future years. This Poipu beach is worth the price of the hotel just to see it at your own pace. If you go to the island and don't get in this water, why did you go to Kauai?
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott`s Waiohai Beach Club Hotel Poipu
- Marriotts Waiohai Beach Hotel
- Marriott Vacation Club Poipu
- Marriott Poipu
- Poipu Marriott
- Marriotts Waiohai Beach Club
- Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club Kauai/Poipu