“family gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
mpls mn
“family gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We took our 2 adult kids to this hotel and it was everything you want hawaii to be. The hotel grounds are awesome. The unit was great and the second bedroom had a comfortable king pull out couch so the 2 kids had a great space. Full living room with patio, fully stocked kitchen and washer drier. We cooked in alot and the extremely well maintained outdoor grills were great to have. Best feature by far is the great beach with rentals for beach chairs and all sorts of beach activities, snorkeling and supping. To end the day, the Huna bar was excellent plus you could grab great fish tacos and my new favorite the Chi Chi (coconut milk, pineapple and vodka drink).
Ok, for the reality check. We booked several months in advance and the month before we arrived I got the call that they could not accomodate our room requests as we were not club owners or had high marriot reward status. I asked if we were basically going to get a room overlooking a parking lot and she said "Basically? yeah!" :-( We went ahead with the reservation anyway and were pleasantly surprised that even tho we didn't get a room overlooking the beach or into the grounds themselves, our room wasn't too bad. We were in building 5 (Hale 5) in room 5404 and you can see our view. Building 4 has rooms that sit directly over a parking spot and I don't know if we could have handled that as we really enjoyed starting and ending the day on the patio. The other factor is the roosters that sometimes start crowing as early as 3 :15 a.m and go on thru the day. We used a white noise app on our phones to blur the noise and made it thru the week. We took advantage of the "stay and play" plan (no charge) to check out at 10 a.m but use the beach and health club room to shower and change before our 8 pm flight. There are only 2 showers so everyone else who had the same plan really had to hustle thru tight quarters to get in and get out.
All and all, we would definately come back and sure hope to in the next 2 years. Lots of fun things for small kids to do thru the day and great help for booking zip lining and other big kid activities but book early as they do book out fast. Aloha

Room Tip: try not to get Hale 4 even number rooms, they look right into parking lot. Hale 5 room 5404 looks o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband, teenage daughter and I have been fortunate to stay at Waiohai Beach Club once in 2012 and once in 2013. We continue to love every aspect of the resort with absolutely no complaints. The resort is perfect in every way!

Ringgold, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have had the opportunity to make a number of timeshare memories and have been to some fabulous places, but this is the best one yet. Up until this resort, our favorite vacation had been at The Westin at St. John in the U.S, Virgin Islands. But this trip to Kauai has taken over first place as our best overall vacation experience. The Marriott Waiohai was absolutely gorgeous everywhere you looked and offered a wonderful variety of options for excursions, activities, and, an array of exercise & training classes geared for all ages.

If the resort wasn't already enough to make us want to come back, the exercise classes alone made this stay special. Zoey and Greg, of White Tiger Wellness, were fabulous instructors offering classes for strengthening your back, rotator cuffs, & shoulders. They taught an introductory class of yoga and Tai Chi, and even Water Aerobics. All the classes were by the ocean, under the palm trees, with a wonderful breeze. You didn't want it to end. The classes could be paid for by the class or one could pay a reasonable discounted lump sum and attend all of them. We picked the latter. Though not terribly agile or balanced, we found great improvement in the week we were there.

Cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: we liked garden view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Claremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

It is absolutely perfect for families! We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit with a good size kitchen. There are multiple pools for kids and a separate one for adults only. It has its own beach and you can rent umbrellas. It is very close to a little shopping center that has a small market Living Foods and other nice places to eat. The food at the resort is not great but it has a little market for basics. There are a lot of daily activities for children and adults. The activities include lei making, hula lessons, pond fishing, pineapple carving, bingo, and other fun events. They have rentals available for the beach and guests can borrow toys from the kids activity center. They have a small but nice fitness center that is open 24/7.

It is a time share resort that rents the units to others when available. The owners get first choice of the units. We paid for ocean view but it is really a garden view with a glimpse of the ocean but the gardens are beautiful. I would stay here again if we return I just worry that our room location won't be as nice as it was. Some of the locations face the parking lot.

It would be nice if the website was more specific about unit locations. There should be four options; full ocean view, partial ocean view, garden view and parking lot view.

The staff was helpful and friendly. The grounds were very well maintained.

The location in Poipu was perfect for our daughter and son-in-law to go scuba diving with a local outfitter. The weather seems to be warmer in Poipu than in the north part of the island.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pools and facing the gardens are really nice. We like the top floor.
Jamul, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I used Marriott points to stay here for two nights before my wife and I headed to Princeville for a five-night stay. Although the units were nice, we were disapponted overall. We were informed and understood that owners got first preference of units; our unit on the backside of Hale 4 was advertised as a island view, it more accurately should have been stated as a parking lot view. We were also surprised by the 10am checkout time, meaning that we only spent about 36 hours on site. The grounds, beach, pool, and fitness facility were very nice. All in all, I would not stay here again for the price.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I went to the Marriott in Poipu in February and we had a great time. This property is very well maintained and beautiful. We were fortunate to get a 2 bdr / 2 ba villa at this property compliments of my parents timeshare. Upon entering the property, we were immediately greeted by the staff and they were very helpful. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived (we were early), so they took my number and promptly called me when it was.

The room was very peaceful and had a full kitchen with amenities. It had storage containers, salt / pepper, etc, which was nice and helpful for our stay. The master room had a large tub in the bathroom and a separate shower. The 2nd room featured a shower, and the full-sized washer / dryer.

The pool on the property is a bit small and in order to stay in the sun, we needed to use the lawn chairs settled on the grass. It overlooked the beach though, so no complaints there.

The beach on the property is partially private and partially public. It is all well maintained by security, so I never was worried about leaving my things at my chair while I went to the restroom or to get something to eat.

The marketplace does have some essentials you'll need, but you're probably better off going to the Big Save or the Living Foods Market and Cafe (a real gem, by the way) in the new shopping center in Poipu.

The hotel doesn't have much in terms of dining aside from the beach bar, but there's some great restaurants nearby that are fantastic.

Overall, would definitely come back. We loved the home feel of this property compared to the other Marriott in Lihue. It was a wonderful time, great for families!

One side note, I did get a massage in their beach cabanas. It was just okay, I'd save the $$ and go to Anara Spa at the Hyatt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuevo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been an every other year owner at Waiohai since 2007, however my last stay was in 2009. I have received emails about changes, and improvements that had been made over the past few years and was excited to see them 1st hand. I was a little disappointed when I arrived because updates and renovations were not readily noticeable. In fact only half the jets in the main spa were working and the equipment in the fitness center was pretty worn out. Another shocking discovery was that the pool bar (The only bar on the property) closes at sunset, which in February was at about 6:30. I must say that I love the location, and being able to snorkel at Poipu Beach right in front of the resort is great, however as far as Marriott Vacation Club Resorts go I was a bit disappointed with this stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!