“Needs Work” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Poipu
Seattle
“Needs Work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

As others have mentioned, this resort has a great location and is family oriented. The units are very tired looking. The decor is unattractive and very worn. Pillows had barely any stuffing in them. Cheap kitchen equipment. How about hiring a new interior designer? If I was an owner here, I would ask for more.
The hallways in the building look like you are walking through a hospital corridor. What about some artwork?
Be aware of what unit you are assigned.
Seems like Marriott is a bit too complacent about this property. Just because it has one of the top locations, it doesn't mean that they can't spend some money here to upgrade.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

After four nights on the North Shore we moved South desperately seeking sun! Location couldn't be better and the beach is lovely. It's a very-family friendly hotel but I didn't find it loud or annoying. I was still able to enjoy a peaceful vacation with my mom. The rooms are nice, not gorgeous, not particularly luxurious - the finishings at the Westin Princeville are far nicer. This being said, I know I'm not the first reviewer to mention the parking lots, but it's kind of a problem! I had reserved an ocean view room and what we saw was a vast expanse of parking lots beyond which in the distant horizon I saw some blue that I guess was the ocean. I didn't even really care about the ocean view, the property grounds are beautiful (the courtyard area) so I called to ask if I could be changed to a non-ocean-facing room. In other words, a room which costs less than what I paid. I thought this was a pretty reasonable request considering I wasn't asking for any refund. However, I was told that the hotel was "fully booked" which I knew beyond any doubt was a lie because I had made the reservation the day before and there were all sorts of rooms available. Being lied to - not cool. I guess they just have a scripted reply for whenever people complain about the view, which I bet is pretty often. I'm still glad I reserved an ocean view room, especially when some non-ocean-view rooms don't look into the courtyard but are in the back of the building and basically IN the parking lot. That must be miserable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We are owners and would never trade our location, lay in bed at night and listen to the ocean. Watch whales by day, great sunsets. Relaxing!!!! We have had amfewmshowers by day but nothing to complain about

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here with our children in January. Approaching from the street this is not a particularly attractive property but the side facing the ocean is very nicely landscaped with a lovely pool that was very warm. Rooms are quite spacious and we thought quite a bargain at $460 a night for a 2 bedroom villa. Beach area is not overly large but you are immediately adjacent to one of the best(safest) places to snorkel with children-we saw many beautiful tropical fish. There is no on-site restaurant here but there are numerous restaurants within a short distance. I wouldn't recommend this for honeymooners looking for a really memorable place but this is a real bargain/find for families due to roomy accommodations and beach location. Keep in mind that this property is on the south side of the island(poipu) which tends to be sunnier than the north shore but is generally more developed

Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have always loved Kauai, and Poipu in particular. This was my third visit, but the first time to Hawaii for my 27, 20, and 10 year old sons, plus a friend. Let's just say their jaws dropped when they first walked out by the pool and beach. With these extreme ages, I was thrilled that they all absolutely loved our stay at Waiohai. So much so, they barely wanted to leave Poipu. We did manage to see Waimea Canyon, and did a wonderful kayak/Secret Falls day trip, but they wanted to get right back to "sunny Poipu". The units are typical Marriott style, the ocean views are hard to come by because of how the buildings sit, but I've learned to request garden view. The overall feel for this resort is definitely more laid back, than let's say Newport Beach, but we absolutely loved it and made lifetime memories there. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you don't want to get a parking lot view, ask for garden view.
Cedar Falls, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed in building 8. Room 8305. This is an owners unit. The owners, this is a timeshare resort, get the good ones and the others the view is not as good. This resort is just fine, albeit older and smaller in scale than some of the new ones. To complain that this resort or the rooms aren't nice enough would tell me that you are simply spoiled. The underground parking is nice. The interior courtyard and pool is just fine. Location is hard to beat. The public beach of Poipu is literally adjacent. Decent beach. We didn't see any beaches that were substantially better on the island. The Grand Hyatt is where I would stay if money were no object. The Hyatt property is simply one of the nicest we have seen anywhere in the world. It is about 1 mile away. It is truly a grand property. For the money though this Marriott should not disappoint in any way. Your not buying it, your renting it, so relax and go ahead and rent here. We paid $2100 for the week in a 2 bedroom with full kitchen and 2 baths. Had to work to find this rate. We were there Jan 12-19, 2013.

Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is our 2nd time staying at a Marriott timeshare and I will say that the location could not have been better for our family! I will say that if I could give a 4 1/2 star I would, but since I can't, I don't think it's fair to give it a 4 stars, so I'm giving it a 5 star. And I will explain why 4 1/2 stars below...

First of all, to keep something in mind. The resort is located on the south side of the island, the very south actually. So if you're planning on spending most of your time on the north shore, the east side of the island... then this location might not be for you since you'll be spending a lot of time driving.

BEACH/SNORKELING
The hotel is located in Poipu and the beach is Poipu Beach. If you're a beach person, and I assume you are since you're going to Hawaii, this is a wonderful location to stay in!!! The view just walking along the beach is GORGEOUS, make sure you go there for a peaceful, relaxing walk when the sunsets, the view is something we're still talking about. The beach is so pretty that my mom was actually very happy just staying in the room and then take a walk on the beach without leaving the property. And Poipu Beach is actually the best spot for snorkeling on Kauai, so you get to have the best snorkeling location without leaving the resort!!! There are TONS of different fishes in the ocean, just a few steps away from shore, so even if you don't swim, you don't need to worry because you can see plenty of creates in the shallow end.
We also saw monk seals and a huge sea turtle on two separate days, just sun bathing in the sand.

ROOM
This is actually why I would give this property a 4 1/2 stars instead of the 5 stars.
The room we stayed in had 2 bedrooms. The rooms are very nice, and comfortable. The kitchen is fully equipped with all the necessary tools/utensils for those who would like to eat at "home." The reason I would give 4 1/2 stars is because in one of our bathrooms, the shower stall actually smelled a little bit mildew-y. It's not bad by any means, but because I'm so used to the Marriott standard, I found it a bit surprising that this happened since Waiohai is such a prestige resort. Another thing is that our dish washer actually malfunctioned during our first time using it. The water inside spilled out in the middle of a cycle and we actually had to stop the machine and couldn't use it for the remaining of our trip.

RESORT GROUND
The resort ground is beautiful. Very well manicured "falls", ponds and pools. And I love that the wild chickens are just everywhere on the ground. You would think that with so many chicken on the island, it'd be impossible to get a decent sleep since the chickens all crow at random times throughout the day. But we definitely did not have that problem. The resort lobby isn't very flashy though. It's quite modest which was surprising to me, but then I figured it makes sense since we're on the island Kauai.

STORE
There's a convenient store located next to the lobby where you can buy things that you might have forgotten to pack such as pain killers, eye drops... etc (you know, the usual stuff). This is a very small store and the things that are available to purchase (everyday item things) are actually surprisingly limited.

All in all, the resort is wonderful and I really don't think anyone would be disappointed staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!