“Great family reunion location” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2249 Poipu Rd, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756 (Koloa)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Poipu
Broadus, Montana, United States
“Great family reunion location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a wonderful location to plan a family reunion - It offers something for all ages and is well-situated for the adventurous visitors who like to get out and explore. The beach is beautiful, the pools are inviting, the rooms are spacious, the beds are really, really comfortable and the kitchen has all the amenities as my kitchen at home! The younger children in our group took in the activities (lei-making and fishing) while the older kids did the scuba-diving lessons and some of the adults participating in the fitness classes. We barbecued 4 of the 7 nights we were there - no waiting for the barbecues at all! We had 5 villas between us all, and we were all in the same building (#8). Our rooms faced to the back of the property, which was actually very nice, and we had almost a private back yard for the little children to play on in the evenings when we barbecued. Our ground floor villa opened right out onto the lawn and it was very private and safe for the children. I would certainly recommend this property for families planning reunions.

The older, more adventurous family members happily ventured out to zipline, kayak, helicopter travel and shop, while the families with young children stayed right at the resort and enjoyed the pools and the beach. The landscaping is beautiful, and as my husband and I are early risers, it was reassuring to take a morning walk and notice the staff cleaning all the barbecues, pools, and sidewalks each day.The staff was always courteous and accommodating.

I would certainly recommend this resort and would not hesitate to make a return visit.

599 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
New Fairfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I should have known from the other reviews on this site to stay elsewhere. We checked for a 5 night stay and left after one night. After reading the other reviews, upon checkin we knew which buildings to avoid. Of course, we were put in the worst building (4), which is the farthest from the beach and pool, and got the parking lot view. Okay, so a view is not all that, but when your balcony is actually over the cars and you are looking at cement ?! I flew from Connecticut for my 20th wedding anniversary and I am not settling. We don't normally complain, but the front desk gave us no other option. We were told the place was fully booked. The manager was nearby and not once would get up and talk to us. Because we had to pay for one night, we did stay and will move to another property. I think if we could have at least had the garden view , the building would not be so bad. We travel with 3 kids and find it much easier to he near the action. We prefer to have easy access to our room from where all the action is.
So moving on from this topic, our villa was great! It is exactly what our family of 5 needs space wise. It was a two bedroom two bath villa with washer and dryer and living room and kitchen. Great space and clean.
There is a convenience store with pretty much anything you need , over priced of course. There is a pool bar that serves bar food. You could get a decent lunch there. No other restaurant on property. The beach is very small. The pools are pretty but crowded. Get up early to reserve a pool chair as everyone scatters their towels on all the lounges.
I wish I could give this Marriott 5 stars but we were glad to be moving on. Read a lot of reviews. I know we all look for something different, but the reviews are I sight full .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My family was fortunate enough to share my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary together at the Waiohai Beach Club. Our superbly appointed two-bedroom room was truly "Home" to my family (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 grandparents). We had plenty of room, comfy beds, and a generous living/kitchen area. We did not feel crowded at all. We were also happy that Marriott planned so many activities for us to enjoy together. Onsite fishing, night hikes, Bingo tournaments, and hula lessons were just some of the kid-friendly events available. We also checked out familiar board games (Battleship, Chutes & Ladders) and a set of dominoes to play in our room together. The hotel is also in walking distance to great shops, restaurants, and gardens. We went snorkeling every day in front of the hotel. We also explored the onsite tide pools and the beach front at the state park next door. A lovely celebration in a lovely place.

Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

For our 15th anniversary trip, we booked an ocean view room here. Our only child is 13 yrs old and we couldn't leave her at home for a dream vacation to Hawaii, so we needed a 2 bedroom suite. My husband travels all the time for business and always stays at Marriotts, so he is a platinum member. We always get upgraded to the best possible room at every Marriott we stay at, so I ignored the reviewers who warned me about the parking lot view thinking that it wouldn't affect us with our status. WRONG! We were given the parking lot/empty lot filled with weeds view. There was a sliver of ocean in the distance. We tried to switch to another resort, but of course they were all booked. Fortunately, the Marriott rewards customer service pulled some strings to please my husband who spends a lot of money at Marriott every year. The view was so bad that he was ready to switch allegiances and start staying at other hotels in the future (he and all his employees who stay with him). We were switched to another room which had a lovely resort view and a tiny sliver of ocean. It wasn't really what I would call ocean view at any other resort, but it was beautiful. Trust me: If you are not an owner and you are booking an ocean view room, you WILL have a parking lot view. If you are okay paying the extremely high rates to get that, go ahead. Otherwise, stay elsewhere. If I ever return to Kauai (which I hope I do because Kauai is incredible!!!), I will definitely not stay here! The resort grounds may be beautiful and the rooms are clean, but selling parking lot views as ocean view simply because there is a sliver of ocean in the distance (past an empty lot, a parking lot, trees, and electrical wires) is ridiculous. It should be sold as a standard view room and anyone who gets it will be thrilled that they get a bonus of a sliver of ocean. As far as the rest of the resort goes, the pool is PACKED - people reserve seats in the morning with towels. Locals and people staying at other resorts use the pool increasing how crowded it is. It is very close to Po'ipu Beach park which is one of the best snorkel spots in the area, but if you were staying elsewhere, you could go there (just park in that parking lot you would see from your $500 per night room) because all beaches in Hawaii are public beaches. There are no restaurants at all on property - just a convenience store that happens to sell some breakfast food and a few sandwiches. There are three hot tubs and all three of them are packed with teenagers until 9pm, when they all turn off. After 9 pm, you can sit in lukewarm stagnant water with the other adults who were waiting for the underage drinkers to vacate the hot tubs. The things this "resort" has going for it are the location, the beautiful grounds, and the ability to have a 2 bedroom suite. If those things are more important to you than a water view, on site restaurants, quiet uncrowded pools (even the "quiet" pool has lots of kids in it), and hot tubs that work past 9 pm, then this is the spot for you. Just be prepared for your parking lot view. Oh yes, I almost forgot, don't try to stream anything via their wifi or download any large files - they will quarantine you and revoke your internet privileges.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Browns Mills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I spent 2 weeks at this resort with my family. The units are great and the grounds are beautiful. The beach is the best beach in Poipu. Here is the lowdown on the oceanview parking lot view: Buildings 6, and 7 OV will be of the public parking lot next door to the resort. I got that view. It isn't terrible on the top floor because you can see the ocean. The best buildings are 1 and 8 but you won't get those buildings unless you are an owner and even then you might not get it. Ocean view of buildings 2, 3, 4, and 5 is fine because you will get a resort view. The resort is beautiful. You might not see the ocean very well but the resort grounds are great. If you stay in buildings 3, 4,5, and 6 Island view, you will see the parking lot.

Room Tip: Call one week before you arrive and request a resort view, not a parking lot view.
Washingtonville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was our third time to Kauai and our first time to the Poipu area. We traded a two bedroom in Aruba for a two bedroom at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. We were confirmed in a "garden view" room. The room was on the ground floor at the edge of Hale 5. There was a large grassy area that had a drain in the middle of the play area that my 2 yr old grandson was using. The accommodations were clean and grounds were well maintained (watch out for chickens). The room exactly as presented on my confirmation form Interval International. It had a king master with a bath. The second room had a king bed, bathroom and pull out sofa. There was also a pullout sofa in the living room. The beds were comfortable and extra pillows were delivered without hesitation. The pull out couches were uncomfortable for my two adult daughters and they requested egg crates to soften the springs they felt under the mattress. These too were delivered without delay. Poipu Beach is beautiful and the snorkeling was great. There are a lot of lava rock so water shoes are recommended. It is also quite windy on this end of the island but overall weather was good with about a half day of rain at the most. There is a shopping center across the street for shops and restaurants and we spent two nights listening to Hawaiian music.

Room Tip: Choosing a "good" room is difficult on a trade. We asked for an ocean view and was told th...
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were at the Marriott Waiohai from July 9-16 and had a great time. We are not owners and I did book an ocean view, so I was dreading the parking lot view. Sure enough, we got it (room 7403). The girl at reception was very nice, but said the place was full and that priority goes to owners. So with trepidation we parked in the underground lot (loved that convenience) and took the elevator to the 4th floor of Hale 7. It was fine. Yes we could see cars, but also had lots of ocean and also the beautiful mountains in our view. The lot was not noisy, except for the roosters (we liked their crowing) and although pristine grounds are nice to look at, we found we enjoyed watching the life of Poipu. What stopped us from using our balcony more than we did, was the wind. The trade winds were really strong and breakfast on the balcony in the sunshine was nice, but by evening the balcony (which looks east) is in shade and the strong winds made it quite cool. I do not think the rooms on the first and second floor could have seen the ocean, I hope they consider those island view, but third and fourth floor rooms could definitely see Poipu Beach Park. There was no construction, just people coming and going in and out of the parking lot and the men that cut the grass. Someone posted before that it was "dangerous" that is quite ridiculous. I would much rather be in Hale 7 facing the lot, than at the back of the property... far from the beach and with open air parking.
Because we were not owners we had daily room service. We had 8 beach towels supplied. The washer-dryer was great and yes we laundered beach towels, but that was fine. The villa itself is great, website pictures give a really accurate depiction of the rooms and also the grounds. The grounds are lovely and being right on Poipu is fantastic. We always found loungers on the grass overlooking the beach and we generally found shade too. We ate breakfast and lunch in our villa, and then ate out most evenings. I can highly recommend the Plantation House in the next door Kiahuna Plantation. We also ate at The Beach House and at Tidepools at the Hyatt (both short drives away). It was great to be able to walk to Poipu Shopping Village, and we ate at Keoki's there one night.
Kauai is beautiful and the Waiohai makes a wonderful base for your stay. It was low key and on a glorious beach with fabulous sunsets. I would stay there again, I liked the freedom of being in a condo, and the parking lot view would not deter me; however, I do think Marriott should have differential pricing 1) ocean front 2) partial ocean view and grounds 3) partial ocean view and island (Hale 6 and 7 upper floors) 4) grounds no ocean 5) island view

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club? Share your experiences!