We stayed in unit 221. Booked ahead through parrishcondos, the operator was very helpful (++) and booked us on a one-week deal (we only stayed 6-days, turned out to be cheaper than booking individual nights).
Like many other reviewers, we were wary of the crickets/bullfrogs at night, which I'm told was potentially horrendous depending on where you were.
I think the listing was described as 'island charm', which was a nice way of saying 80/90's era finishings -- they were pleasantly nice. Warning: Fridge had a terrible glass surface that almost fell on us twice. fair-sized countertop, old but serviceable stove to boil water & cut-fruits. Nice bedroom, lots of space to house a family easily (for 2 ppl it was pleasant overkill). Bathroom was fine to get yourself ready for the day.
Unit location was fine -- Have to haul your luggage up 2 flights of stairs. That was that max I was willing to do (would not book a 3rd floor unit) so we were happy. Unit 221's balcony faces the next door hotel's parking lot -- we never really stayed there for the ocean view anyway. Still, that meant less bullfrog noise. Repeat, for people scared of bullfrogs: it wasn't a problem for us at unit #221.
Great location near poipu beach, IMO one of the better beaches in Kauai (southeast coast was great). It's the first stop after the poipu village shopping centre roundabout, so the location near to the village (cool restaurants, icecream, coffee, lounges, shopping) was something we didn't even realize. It is a 30-min drive north to kapaa & it's associated restuarants/traffic though. If you're 'doing' the island, you're almost certainly going to go north all the way to Hanalei Bay: poipu's location simply made that trip a bit longer. Just consider that as a byproduct of staying in poipu, rather than of the Waikomo Stream Villas itself.
Considering its location amongst other nearby condo developments that cost way more, we considered this a bit of a gem, one of the holdouts against the development that had been going on nearby. There was a condo building being constructed at the time of our stay, but we didn't hear any noise or have any construction road blocks at all.
Would recommend to friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the best kept secrets in the Poipu Beach Resort area, Waikomo Stream Villas is a lush garden resort containing just 60 units located on the sunny side of Kauai. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Waikomo Stream Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikomo Stream Villas Hotel Poipu
- Waikomo Stream Villas Kauai/Poipu