“Poipu Crater Villas is a great place to stay if you want a peaceful haven after a busy day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Poipu Crater Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poipu
Poipu Crater Resort
Save Saved
You added Poipu Crater Resort to your Saves list
2330 Hoohu Rd, Poipu, Kauai, HI 96756 (Koloa)   |
Ranked #23 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
KIRKLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We went to Kauai to celebrate my birthday and our 25th anniversary. This resort seemed like a great place for us to stay since I wanted to be close to the beach but not hear the pounding surf. It was definitely peaceful and quiet except for the early morning when the birds went into full song. I especially liked the privacy. It is a small resort so few people were driving in and out of the parking lot, making noise or peeking in the windows.

We stayed in unit #12 which I loved because it was bright and cheerful with lovely pictures on the walls and comfortable furniture. The upstairs bed was excessively hard for my taste so we had to move downstairs to the twin beds, which were a bit better. For this reason I might not stay in this unit again unless they up-date the beds. However, if you like a firm mattress then this might be just the place for you. The move downstairs turned out to be a blessing in disguise since I came down with severe positional vertigo in the middle of the night. We were glad that there was a parking space reserved for us in front of the condominium and my husband was able to help me into the car quickly to drive me to the one hospital on the island. When we got back to the villa, I had to rest for a couple of days because of the medicine. My husband had a relaxing time sitting out on the lanai which is shaded nicely by greenery and extremely private.

We were disappointed that there was not a Scrabble game available or tennis rackets, etc. There was no one in the clubhouse to help us with anything and no yoga classes or any of the other scheduled activities mentioned in the guidebooks. I was looking forward to trying the sauna but since the two saunas were located in the restrooms, my husband could not go in with me unless he entered the women's room. We were lucky that the weather was nice and these deficits were not a problem since most of our week was spent sightseeing.

Our property was managed by Poipu Vacation Rentals and the whole arrangement was made over the internet in a very professional manner. There was a mix-up with housekeeping before we got there and the unit was not properly cleaned. We called the management and the housekeeper was apologetic, came in the next day, and did a great job cleaning. There were a few maintenance issues as well but the manager assured us that a handy-man would come in after we left to take care of them. The manager insisted on refunding our cleaning deposit due to the inconvenience. He was extremely gracious and let us stay into the evening on our departure night without charging us extra since our plane did not leave until almost midnight. I would highly recommend renting through Poipu Vacation Rentals since it is a small firm and the owner has a condominium at Poipu Crater. It really helps that he has pictures of the various villas posted on his website and is familar with the properties he manages.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband, brother-in-law and I stayed in unit #23. This unit needs some serious refreshing. The fan in the living room sparked and stopped working on the first day. There are bars preventing you form opening the living room vented windows. Carpets need cleaning, kitchen and master bath need updating bad. This unit gets direct sun exposure all day, and with the skylights this place is a sauna! We met the owner of unit #26 across the resort and he let us check out his condo. It is shaded all day and was cool in the hottest part of the day, with no fans of air conditioning needed. He also has completely renovated the whole unit. Being the same price, this is the unit to stay at! The pool was the highlight of our stay. We had the pool all to ourselves the whole time! It is very private and secluded down in the crater. Tons of tropical flowers, and beautiful birds. We would stay a the Poipu crater resort again, but in unit #26.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We loved our stay here. At first I thought it might be too big for just my husband and myself but we loved being able to spread out and have plenty of space if one of us was up earlier than the other. We were in unit #6 and although the decor was somewhat dated, it was very clean and comfortable and we enjoyed our stay. It had so many nice features to make it feel homey which was nice: washer/dryer, beach towels, beach chairs and umbrella, large cooler, books to read, etc... The lanai (deck) was large and it was wonderful to sit there and eat breakfast every day.

The condo is located in a crater. We were in the top of the crater (#1-10 were at the top) so I don' t know if that helped with the breeze. There is no air conditioning but there are ceiling fans in every room and I noticed 2 stand fans in a spare closet that could be used. We didn't need any air conditioning when we were there since it was on the cool side. The only thing is that the crater echos a lot and there are tons of birds and roosters that start crowing pretty early in the morning (although this is normal across Kauai). So we didn't leave the windows open at night and that helped with the noise in the morning.

The location was great and although we weren't right on the ocean, it didn't seem to matter since every day we were exploring different parts of the island anyway. The condo complex had a small (but nice) pool, ping-pong table, BBQ area, and tennis courts. We were happy with the management company (Parrish Collection)- we wanted to borrow tennis rackets and although Poipu Crater didn't have any, they let us borrow some from their neighboring property- Nihi Kai Villas which was nice.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and it was nice to park right outside our condo and go right in. It was much more comfortable (and cheaper) than staying at any resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
S. CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed a week at this unexpected tropical treasure. It is not like anything else offered in the Poipu area. These townhomes are like your own home in a tropical botanical garden. In the morning the birds sing throughout the enclosed crater. The winds blow across the giant lanais that we lived on for all our meals and evening cocktails. All other condos are two and three story apartment style and have skinny long lanais that are good for nothing. Here we could park our car right next to our townhome with no stairs. we stayed in unit #20 which was extremely updated with great beds and bedding and all the appliances were new. Everything worked great and the place was really clean and we felt at home right away. We would recommend this place to anyone who wants the real Hawaii experience. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

My family and I just spent 2 weeks at Poipu Crater Resort. We were a large group of 38 people and stayed in 11 condos in the Crater. The trip was fabulous!

The condos in Poipu Crater are great and they are the best deal on the island. There are 15 duplex-type buildings with 2 condos in each building. There is lots of open space in the Crater and the plantings make for good privacy. Each condo is a 2 story, 2-bedroom/2 bath condo with a good kitchen, living room and eating area. Each condo is fully equipped, including laundry machines, coolers, beach chairs, etc. The lanais are large (~12 X 12) and were a favorite sitting area for all.

There is a great pool area. The pool was large and refreshing. There was a covered area with three tables and chairs as well as 3 BBQ's. There is also a clubhouse with 2 tables and chairs, a couple of couches and a full kitchen. Our group made extensive use of the whole pool/clubhouse area every evening and it worked out perfectly.

The grounds of Poipu Crater are beautiful. The whole resort is very Hawaiian looking. You can sit on the lanai and enjoy the foliage and the birds or you can enjoy a game of tennis, ping pong, or a dip in the pool.

Each condo is privately owned and although the decor in each unit is similar, they were all different, depending on whether the specific condo had been renovated recently or not. All of the condos were great for our group.

Poipu Crater is about a 10 minute walk from Poipu Beach Park (you can cut through the grounds of Poipu Kai Resort). As Kauai is an island to explore and people tend to venture off and explore the various gorgeous beaches around the island, the proximity to Poipu Beach Park is less important than one might think.

I would strongly recommend Poipu Crater to everyone; especially any large groups. Our family has already re-booked 5 condos for spring break 2008!

• Liked — Hawaiian atmosphere
  • Disliked — The grounds are hilly inside the Crater
  • Stayed July 2007
Ontario, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

we loved staying at the Poipu Crater, it was the most beautiful place we've ever been to and when we go back we will of course stay there. It felt like home and we were sad to leave.

• Liked — it was like being in your own home, it is a beautiful place.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
las vegas, nv
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2005

I booked this condo on the recommendation of a friend who stays here regularly. Although I knew it was in a crater, everything I read said that there were natural tradewinds that kept it cool. I was a bit concerned from the beginning since there weren't any good photos available to give me a better idea of what the property was like. Let me explain our problems...

To make a long story short, our condo was situated at the bottom of the crater (even though I asked to be close to the top). There was no breeze whatsoever. We were so incredibly hot that we moved all of the fans into the bedroom to try desperately to cool it off that first night, but to no avail. Another issue that we had was that the condo was not properly cleaned before we arrived. The upstairs shower hadn't been cleaned at all and had soap scum, hair, razor, etc. all over it. It was disgusting. You could also tell that they spray the baseboards with pesticide, because there were little dead bugs around the base of all of the walls that had not been vacuumed up. The whole place had a faint pesticide aroma. I also didn't realize how far away from the beach it was. It is down in a crater that is up on a hill.

For a few positive notes: the place is incredibly cheap, but you get what you pay for. I was ready to sleep in the car just to be cooler. I liked the layout, in terms of not having anyone above/below us. The grounds were pretty nice and it seemed like a quiet place overall. The pool was basic but alright and had a bbq area to the side of it.

If you don't mind heat and humidity, and you are looking for a really cheap condo with very basic amenities and you don't mind being away from the ocean, this place is worth the price (we paid $129/nt through Suite Paradise).

We ended up going into Suite Paradise first thing the next morning to find a different place. They moved us to the only other available property (Regency condos of Poipu Kai) which was $20 more a night, but INFINITELY nicer inside (wood floors, beautiful furniture, classier amenities all around). It didn't have air conditioning, but there were the infamous tradewinds, which made it bearable for a 2 wk. stay.

Stayed July 2005

Been to Poipu Crater Resort? Share your experiences!