Free Car* with Poipu Palms 102 - Exquisitely decorated oceanfront 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in a small complex

living room
dining room and living room
dining room and kitchen

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

Oceaneyz
Tustin, California
“GREAT PLACE, FANTASTIC MANAGMENT COMPANY! BUT…..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
person found this review helpful

This place is Beautiful. The Management Company "Great Vacations" Is the Only one I'd use, if I had a rental property! From checking in, to renting car & checking out! Upon interring rental condo, it was lovely, had many amenities needed (lots of soap, shampoo/cond., paper towels, dishwasher soap, toilet paper & more!). Only 2 things are not in large supply: Laundry Detergent, if you want clean towels for beach (remember, red dirt in some places), you should bring some or get some while there. Depending on how long your stay & how many people or places you’re going. I brought, because it’s expensive over there. They do supply a decent amount of Beach towels: 6-7 Bath towels: 8-9 hand towels & wash cloths, about same.. Kitchen towels= 4. Coffee, bring or get famous Kauai’s Coffee. This place has many things to cook with, lots of pots, bowels, glasses, plates, even Tupperware. We like others have left behind extra trash bags, lunch baggies, foil, saran wrap, seasonings, etc. BBQ Fully equipped outside, with covered tools & charcoal, if you want to home cook & such, this should help! 1 Nice thing also is they have a combo hide a key, if you’re going someplace and you think you might lose your key.
There was one pretty Major Problem with this place though, that we feel others need to be warned about. When got there, maids had just left, it was all closed up & very clean, but Hot & muggy in the condo. 1st Thing we went to do is open all windows! Yet we soon found out, out of all the 5 windows you see in pictures, to the big deck... None open but for single slider (enough room for one person to get through, not even a double).
You have 2 full view windows that are not open-able (Very Clean). Then you get to the last of large window sections on right side, where TV is (2 full pains, lower & upper) of slat glass windows. They had them closed very tight, with no cranks, to crank them open with! We called the rental company that we have been sweating it out, unpacking, after long sardine can, flight! Then mentioned the bedroom windows also (both rooms), only open part way and were on the 1st floor which is below sidewalk/street level. That’s a good 12+ feet below street with wall built around lower levels of Condo’s entrances & bedroom windows are facing the street. No Air/breeze to be had, when there is one! To better understand, I took pictures, will post. Only way to get air into condo, is the single opening slider door. There’s a kitchen window too, but just no way to bring air in. Deck wall is close, only breeze could be on-Shore winds, facing SE. The rental company was very apologetic, saying “The Owners of this place do not want those windows open, took cranks out!” Was told, they’d just left the property, before we arrived. I’ll bet you they had those open!! (? ) We asked WHY (Since we paid over $300 a night w/all the extra Taxes & car included) it’s So Hot in here? They said because the TV is in front of windows, owners believe the sea air messes with their TV. The TV doesn’t have a very good picture, so it needs replacing, regardless. So move it, where the sea air won’t get to it. The TV in master bedroom works fine & has better picture (If you’re into watching TV?). Remember, this is winter in Kauai (End of Oct), more rain, breezes & such. Stayed at a pretty level 80 degrees (even when rained), for our 9 day stay, that was hotter in the condo! I couldn't even imagine summer in this hot house, as Beautiful, as it really is! No Problems with the look or amenities of this place! Don’t quite understand the TV problem (I’d rather have air coming through windows), but we know a major tourist, day cruise boat company owner on Island who has TV's in all of his many boats, 24/7! His Boats are always in water, moving with people & sea spray yet has never, ever had any problems with his TV’s?
Anyways, the rental company (without even asking), tried to make things better for us, by bringing us a small square Fan, free of charge! It helped a bit (we stood in front of it a lot when put on counter), but it was on floor in front of screen most of time & in the way. We had to move it constantly, to get out the single person slider door to deck (our only air source)! The master bedroom & other little room, have ceiling fans (they don't do much). Luckily there was a large round fan, in master room (put on dresser to keep us dry & cool, pointed it towards living room for extra air as needed, most of the time.). We had to leave all fans on, day & night to stay cool! We wanted to share in turning off lights & fans, etc. for Eco system on Kauai (we do at home too), but How can you, when you can’t lock place up, you have to constant showers to stay comfortable. The big sorrow for me was….So much for hearing the waves at night (or day), to go to sleep too! That was truly a bummer for me, since we booked ON beach, so I sleep to that! You are continually hearing fans going, if you don't want to melt!? If they would fix those 5 main panels of window space overlooking the ocean & make or allow as many of them to open as possible, it would have been a perfect place & I would have Highly Recommended it! Better yet, make them all open, like the picture seems to show (pretty much what sold me on booking this place), that would be Great & more of what we expected! Move TV if feel must, but air is pretty important. It’s too nice a place to live in such a way. But as it is, if you want to enjoy coming back to your vacation home after a full day of fun & sun on your Beautiful Kauai Adventures (knowing all your things are still there, cause you have to leave it open),) think you can relax & cool down, make a nice dinner to enjoy your evening, then this place is Not for you! Cooking in that heat wasn’t fun!
If you like the stale heat, don't care to hear the waves crashing at night, like the sound of fans going all around you, even while you’re sleeping.... It is a beautiful place then it’s perfect for you!
As it was, we couldn’t lock the house up when left for the day, or wouldn’t be able to sleep at night; it was So Hot in there! Anyone could have come in & stole us blind. We had to make a choice, leave slider & bedroom windows open (all fans on), radio or TV on, so to think someone was there & take a chance, or shut all up, lock & Come back to suffer for another night of stale heat, no escaping, no sleep? Left open when sleeping too, anyone could have jumped the balcony or gotten in a window. What a waste of energy...
FYI: They say they have a safe to use, in descriptions of amenities. Yet, says on safe “For Owners Use Only!” Great! Couldn’t lock up a thing & expected to have a safe, since was listed on amenities!
NOTE:I have Nothing but Wonderful things to say about "Great Vacation Rentals" & there employees! From owner Linda (whom worked with us on booking & everything to try & make our stay Wonderful!) She’s such a delight! Also, Office manager “Keala” & another gal (forgot her name… sorry), at desk. It’s so easy-peezy to get your beach chair, snorkel, umbrella & such rentals, from also!)! They All Were So Very Kind, considerate & helpful gals! If we ever buy a vacation rental (have others), where this company resides, we would use & go through them in a second! They will jump through hoops to try to make your stay the best & keep you happy! They are on it, if you need for anything, in minutes (even if not asked!
Truly Beautifully Decorated & well stocked, rental unit. Too many other choices to suffer needlessly, while on a fun & pricey vacation! After all, there are so many other places to rent, why suffer?
I know this is wordy, I just want every gal out there that has to pack & get all ready for a trip… what to expect & others what you’re getting for your money!

5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 3 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 3 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The Decor inside & ammenities supplied by Great vacation Rentals (A Wonderful company)!
Liked least: No air, breeze, unable to open windows. No hearin crashing waves, only fans!
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Nov 12, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review. This will be forwarded to the owners immediately to see what can be done. I know it was very warm during your stay and I wish we could have done more. Hopefully we will see you again on your next visit!
Pmcdowell
2 of 5 stars Value 3 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Location 1 of 5 stars Cleanliness
2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 3 of 5 stars Service
Sep 28, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay, especially in the cleaning department. Cleaning is one of the toughest jobs in our industry and we take it very seriously. We have since done a deep clean on this unit and made sure that we have improved our system so that you don't have any of those issues. If ever you are staying with us again and you experience any dissatisfaction, please call use immediately so that we can try and make it better for your stay.
Amy Grant
3 of 5 stars Location 1 of 5 stars Cleanliness
3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk 1 of 5 stars Service
Dec 27, 2012
Aloha Sang,
I was so disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at Poipu Palms 102. Because we never heard from you during your stay we had no idea that you had any problems. We pride ourselves on our cleaning so if there was something in particular that you noticed that needed more attention please email me at info@greatvacationretreats.com and I would like to address it and make it right for you.
Regarding the supplies, that is standard for vacation rentals to provide a starter set and not supply your entire stay. We try to provide more than is standard by adding 2 rolls of tp for bathrooms, 2 extra paper towels, 16 ounce shampoos, conditioners, lotions, soap, etc...
If those were not provided I would also love to know so we can make sure that it is fixed for future guests. Thank you for you time to review and I hope we can make things better for you in the future!
Amy Grant
(877) 350-4493
Speaks English
Listed since : Jan 2010
Calendar Updated: 3 days ago
Note: Response rate information for this manager is unavailable.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing