“Very nice complex that is on the beach and close to everything” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #17 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Rocklin, California
“Very nice complex that is on the beach and close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a very nice complex. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There are a lot of wide open grass areas for kids to runaround as well as grills throughout that we used often (go to Costco in Lihue to buy everything you need for your stay). The complex is right on the beach which is very nice. There is a “kiosk” where you can check out towels and beach chairs for free. I think they had additional items too. Across the street from the complex is a nice pool that includes a kiddie area which is about 1 ft deep and connects to the main pool which has a fun water slide. There is also a hot tub, bathrooms and place to check out towels. In addition there are tennis courts. All of this is included for free as part of staying in the complex. Of course, it would had been nicer if this was on the grounds of the complex, but not that far of a walk. Also across the street is a shopping center that has some nice restaurants and shops.

The complex itself has many units which are spread out in many detached buildings and consist of ocean front, ocean view, partial ocean view and garden view. Each building looks like it included about 10 units or so. There were 10 of us who stayed here with both adults and children, ages 3 – 6 and we were divided up between a one bedroom and two bedroom unit. The one bedroom unit was a garden view and had nice accommodations. There is a balcony with a table, chairs and a couple lounge chairs that overlooked one of the gardens. The unit was nicely updated with granite counters in the kitchen. There was a sofa bed in the unit which makes for a nice option for a family of 4 if you don’t want to pay extra for a two bedroom. The two bedroom unit was considered a partial ocean view. It’s a two story unit on the second and third floor of the building. We had a nice partial ocean view from the top balcony which had a round table and chairs. The top floor was the living space with a decent size kitchen, a small round table for 3 people and a larger round table for 6 people. It also included two couches, one of which was a sofa bed. There was a nice TV as well. On the first floor were two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The first bedroom had two twin beds, closet and a TV with a detached bathroom. The second bedroom had a king bed, two big closets and an attached bathroom. It also had its own balcony with a couple chairs. Overall, both units were partially updated, but overall very nice. Overall, this was a very nice place to stay with a convenient location. There were a lot of families, but couples as well. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed June 3-7 2013 in a partial ocean view suite. Walking distance to the hotel beach. Room came with beach chairs and a mini cooler which we used daily! Full kitchen which got used since we shopped for lunch food during our stay. Location was great as good restaurants were only 2-5 min driving.

I do have to say that of all the beaches we visited on Kauai, this one was one of the best if not THE best. It had larger surf, perfect sand sun and shade, and it has the surfing schools right on the beach which makes it very convenient if you want to rent a board for an hour or the day.

We really couldn't have found a better spot for the price through classic vacations.

*Advice: get a smaller rental car if its only 2 people since parking was limited at most of the beaches. The little compact we had could fit in spaces other rentals couldn't. Plus they're better on gas :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
prov31girl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here with my husband's brother and his wife in Feb. Our unit was #82 in Bldg. 15. They had the unit next to us (can't remember their #). Our unit was nice, decently furnished, and the kitchen was fairly well stocked. I think our travel companions were disappointed with their unit. It was clean, but they went on like ours was palacially nice in comparison. Theirs was fine, just not as nicely furnished or kitted out. The grounds are lovely, the housekeeping was fine, and the beach was small but not too crowded. I prefer my beaches empty, so staying at a big resort is not really my cuppa. Just make sure you see pix of your unit to be sure you'll like it. Oh, one more thing: Our units only had wooden louvers on the hall side windows (no glass), so when the tons of wild roosters start going off a o-dark-hundred, there is no way to shut out the noise. They woke us before dawn every day and I couldn't wait to get back to Oahu for a decent night's sleep. I wrote about many other things we did in Kauai on my blog. Message me if you are interested in the link.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for two weeks in unit 141 in Building 21, in the 'Royal Garden' section. Arrived by shuttle from the airport at about 11:30 p.m. which is very late for Kauai. Very friendly receptionist checked us in quickly and arranged for security to transport us to the condo with our luggage. First impression was excellent: large, clean, modern accommodation, well-equipped and very comfortable. All the units have chairs, tables and sunbeds on the lanai (verandah / balcony), free wireless internet and a fully equipped kitchen.
The property is quite large, with 42 separate 1- 2- and 3-storey buildings surrounded by lawns and beautiful tropical gardens, with paths winding through and around them. The lawns lead down to a lovely golden-sand beach and complimentary chairs and beach towels are available from the beach hut next to it.
The hotel information said that housekeeping wasn't included, but could be arranged at extra cost, but actually we got basic housekeeping (fresh towels and bedding) every 2 or 3 days and a full service after the first week, which was perfectly OK for us and didn't cost extra after all. I was also very happy to have ceiling fans and no air-conditioning (which I dislike intensely).
There are several good restaurants within easy walking distance: 'Plantation Garden' on-site, next to an amazing orchid garden, 'Red Salt' at the Koa Kea (our absolute favourite for fine dining), 'Rum Fire' and 'Lava's' at the Sheraton and 'Keoki's Paradise' and 'Roy's' in the Poipu Shopping Village, just across the main Poipu Road.
One tip: if you are going to be walking around after dark, take a torch/flashlight as there is not much lighting on some of the roads and paths on the property and it's quite easy to get lost until you are familiar with the layout.
We found it to be much hotter and sunnier than the East side of Kauai (Kapa'a), where we have stayed on our previous 15 visits to the island, so coming from the UK we were very happy with this! We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

During our week-long stay at the Plantation resort I kept rewriting this review in my head. I couldn't decide how I felt about it! By the end of the trip I determined that although I would stay here again (there are few self-catering options in Poipu) but there are some definite cons. First the pros: proximity to the beach and a very nice beach too. You can borrow beach chairs for free and boogie boards are $7 for the day. There is a nice grassy area where you can retreat to the shade. The grounds of the resort are really well maintained and there is an interesting cactus garden and pretty flower gardens. Others have mentioned the lack of air conditioning as a con and at times I would agree, but generally there was a decent breeze coming through and we didn't have problems sleeping at night. I don't like the jarring contrast of shivering inside and walking out into a sauna. I think that's a recipe for getting a cold. So I didn't mind at all not having A/C. Now the cons: indeed, the decor was outdated. Our room was clean but it was lacking love and attention. The screen door was a constant source of irritation: it was old and crappy and kept falling off of its track, every time we used it. Also the fridge and freezer were cranked to max but didn't keep things cold or frozen. We were visited once, in 7 days, by housekeeping and I think all they did was make the bed. The garbage facilities are located on the other side of the resort so not exactly convenient. The pool is located on the other side of the road from the resort. It was about a 10 minute walk from our room: not far, but not exactly convenient either. The pool is great for little ones as there is a very shallow section of the pool with sand on the bottom. Too bad it wasn't next to the beach though (all the other resorts in this strip have beach-side pools and it will make you envious!). Our friends stayed in a different building from us, with their 2-year-old. They had to pay a weekly rate to have a crib, which they were fine with, until it turned out that the "crib" was in fact a cheap pack'n play. So keep this in mind if you have kids. I probably would have disputed that charge if it had been me. Also, our friends were on the ground floor of their building and had a constant ant problem. For this reason I think it's better to be on the second or third floors. All in all, not a terrible stay but enough little pesky things added up to make me seriously question whether or not I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend requesting a unit away from the road and not on the ground floor. You are l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, Califonia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is my first stay at this resort and most definitely my last. Very outdated furniture even though I upgraded to a beach front condo. The housekeeping staff did not make the beds even after three phone calls. After staying a week in Maui I found this place extremely disappointing. The lack of air conditioning was somewhat tolerable after sunset, otherwise condo was steaming hot. The pool is located across the street and not really very accessible for use, you would have to drive there, unless you don,t mind walking a long distance. The beach was great but did not make up for the lack of housekeeping, run down condo and uncomfortable room conditions. Like other reviews of this facility it sounds like its the luck of the draw on what kind of room you get. Poipu is a great area to stay, but choose another accommodation.

Room Tip: If you still decide to take the risk of staying here beach front or facing the lawn is best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Oak Forest, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

A group of us stayed here for 5 nights as part of a wedding. The group was split in to various condo units around the grounds, some in one bedroom units and others in two bedrooms. My fiancée and I stayed in a two bedroom unit in one of the buildings located near the entrance by poipu road. We had no traffic noise, which was great. Our unit was fairly dated with just the basics. We had to stock our kitchen, there wasn't even any salt or a sponge for washing dishes. Our bed was not very comfortable, you could tell it was quite a few years old and has had quite a bit of use. Everyone complained about how awful the pull out sofa beds were.
Pros:
-in a great location and the gardens on the grounds are absolutely gorgeous.
- all of the staff members we encountered were very friendly
Cons:
- unit was not very comfortable to stay in, bed needs to be replaced
- no air conditioning. People say most of the places on the island do not have air conditioning, which is fine because the wind will keep your unit cool. Our unit had no breeze coming in whatsoever and the trade winds were blowing hard during our stay. At night it was not too much of an issue because it cools down and a fan keeps the air moving but during the day it was very hot in the unit, which is where we would come back to have lunch and take a break from the sun.
- bugs->because there is no A/C, we had to keep the slats open all the time and these tiny bugs were crawling everywhere.
Not usually a big deal to me, it's expected when staying anywhere tropical but it still sucks to have to sweep your bed of any bugs before going to sleep. We did receive notice from outrigger that they would be doing a bug inspection during our stay so kudos to management for staying on top of it.
Overall: I would stay here again but I would try to research owners because the quality varies widely from unit to unit. Some of our group stayed in lovely rooms with granite counters and updated features. Just try and pick a unit carefully and you'll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed June 2013
GMofOutriggerKiahuna, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Eric C,
Thank you fo your thorough review. It is true, you can not beat our location right on the beach amidst our gardens. The units are individually owned therefore the decor varies. We encourage our owners to update their units regularly. We appreciate your input. Please contact me directly if you plan to return.
e Malama Pono,
Chris A Gampon

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!