“Southern island” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Toronto, Canada
“Southern island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent 6 days on the north shore and then move south for a final 5 days. (drive from airport is very easy and with no traffic takes approx 30 minutes). We arrived and were immediately impressed by the stunning well kept grounds. We arrived at check in , where the staff would extremely helpful and very polite and friendly. We were in unit 50 building 10. The apartment was clean , had an excellent balcony facing the garden and was a 3 minute walk to the beach. The beach was clean , free towels and chairs were available . We spent most of our time hiking in the canyon whIch was less than an hour away by car. very close by the resort there were numerous restaurants and grocery shops. There were also BBQs on the grounds which we really enjoyed. Overall we had a very good experience however one area of caution for light sleepers - there is no glass in the windows just shutters with screens - wind / traffic noise could be an issue. There is also a work yard close by and when trucks reverse early in the morning the noise was loud. As I write this they are cutting down branches again the noise is annoying. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and the checkout time of 12.00 was of great benefit. note without the noise factor I would have given 5 stars

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed unit 50. I always like to recomend the Garden Paradise category, as this is one that only Castle offers on property.

We hope that you return very soon!

Roy Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
PHILADELPHIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed in a ground floor unit that had a washer and dryer (room no 320). Although it is on the ground floor you still have to walk down a short flight of stairs. The condo was clean and the large lanai overlooks a cactus garden. The building is across the street from Poi'pu Shopping Village which features several restaurants (Roy's, Poi'pu Tropical Burgers, Keoki's, etc) and a small food market as well as other stores. The building is probably the farthest from the beach, but it is only a 5 minute walk. The room was well maintained and has a safe for storage of valuables. Parking is right behind the building.

Room Tip: there are no elevators so pick ground floor if you have a lot of luggage. Room 320 has a washer and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed in building 7, top floor unit. Excellent views, condo well maintained and provisioned. Noise factor sometimes irritating, given wood frame construction and shutters, and over Christmas/New Year lots of commotion during the day, but very generally quiet at night. Staff responded quickly to any requests we had re the condo, but not terribly helpful about other aspects of the island/information/booking in the Plantation Restaurant on the property. Plantation Restaurant is just "ok", service slow and perfuctory for what is supposed to be a fine dining establishment, food was mediocre for the price point. A bit of an odd mix of Outrigger resorts and Castle resorts - Outrigger will not guarantee a specific room till check in, but Castle will, apparently. A beautiful island, lots to see and do, and a great visit.

Room Tip: Buildings 30,31,28,27,25,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 all have good beach views. Avoid anything in 15 to 19 or abov...
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Castle has a lot of reviews- I think because they send you an email the second you check out, asking you to do a Tripadvisor review if you've had a positive experience. In any event, my mom and I stayed here in mid-October 2012. We rented on vrbo, but our one bedroom unit was managed by Castle. We had an upstairs corner unit in building 36. Our unit was not fancy, but it was very comfortable and clean. Units are not large (and have one bathroom)- perfect for two people or a family with one or two small children. We loved the large lanai, and we were fine without a/c. And we fell in love with the beautiful grounds of Kiahuna Plantation. It was wonderful to be within walking distance of the ocean, and the shopping center across the street was handy. We had a little noise from neighboring units, since there are no glass windows- just screens and louvers. We knew this ahead of time, and brought our earplugs. One night there was a very noisy wedding at the Plantation Garden restaurant, with amplified music. We called Castle and they said the wedding could make as much noise as they wanted until 10pm. We ended up walking down to the Sheraton, where the music could still be heard! Things did improve somewhat at 10
pm. The folks who staff the little beach shack were very friendly. And did I mention how much we loved the grounds?! Their gardening staff does a wonderful job (and they are also very friendly folks). We went over to the pool to check it out. Unlike an earlier reviewer, I didn't think it was depressing! It was perfect for kids or anyone else wanting to relax, but we preferred being at the beach.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KiahunaGM, General Manager at Kiahuna Plantation Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Mahalo for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you back very soon!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were in bldg 39. We paid an upgrade to "deluxe garden view"Yes, it faced a cactus garden but the view from the lanai could not make up for the incredibly loud traffic noise from the"road" a probably 50 feet from the entrance to our room. I did speak with management about the situation an unfortunately there were no rooms available due to the holiday season. When I booked, through Travelocity, I even called the property office to ask for a third floor room (which I did get) but at no time did they mention the incredibly loud noise from the road, I would have changed my room then. My booking was over 6 months before I was to arrive in Kauai! Having said all this, the condo was spacious for two and the grounds were nice. The Garden Restaurant was lovely and we enjoyed New Years Eve dinner there.The pool which is off site is depressing and if you have young children wanting a pool I would not even think of going here.

Room Tip: As they cannot guarantee your room or bldg except by price in general area of grounds, I would look...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I remember you well - I again apologize that the traffic noise bothered you. We rarely get complaints about it, but we do understand some folks are very light sleepers. As we discussed, I am just really sorry that as we were so full I was unable to offer you an alternative location.

May I suggest that if you return to Kiahuna in the future that you consider renting a Garden Paradise category unit? These are located in the center of the property, and are only slightly more expensive. They certainly don't have the premium pricing that goes with anything "ocean view or beach front".

This is a category only Castle offers - Outrigger does not have it.

Alternatively, you may feel free to contact me for personal assistance in setting up your next stay.

Lewiston, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family stayed in Building 7 for 10 nights over Christmas vacation. We booked a hotel/car package with Outrigger and felt that the price was a great deal considering the high rates over the holidays. The location was the best it could be without paying extra for an ocean front unit. The staff were all wonderful and accommodating to my special requests. The beach was rocky in front but it was an easy walk to the right or left to sandier spots for swimming in front of the Sheraton and Marriott. The concierge desk was helpful for booking tours and providing information on activities.The large grassy area was filled with families playing together and grilling. Outrigger does try to honor your requests and the only thing I would request next time is a remodeled unit. The only other 2 negatives are that the pool is a long walk away and across the street and the windows are louvered so you can hear everything going on in all the units close to you. I am looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Ground floor is nice for families. A corner unit provides more air flow. Away from Poipu Road is a...
Sebastopol, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Love this property. Beautiful lawn and lovely beach. Staff are friendly and happy to please.
We were fortunate to stay right on the ocean.. was a little concerned at first due to being right next to the beach store and access.. but, as soon as the sunset, everyone goes and the beach became all ours!

Room Tip: Pick one of the ocean view or ocean front rooms! Worth the extra dollars and less road and chicken n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mahalo for your visit (and the previous visits as well)!

We hope to see you back for your 4th stay in the near future. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Roy Thompson

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!