We stayed at the castle resorts during the christmas week not realizing that it is a vacation condo rental. So what that means is that there is no consistency among the units and what you get is your luck.
Lets begin with the positives - The condos are on the poipu coastline that extends from the Sheraton to the Hyatt. The beach has surf area and then an area towards the sheraton that mostly has swimmers and so a good mix for everyone.
Now comes the fun part: Depending on what you book, your unit might be right on the beach (in which case you were the lucky one) or a quartermile walk away with nothing to help you take your beach luggage (boogieboards, surfboards, etc) to the beach.
Some of the units have a third floor but no elevator - so be prepared to take your luggage to the top floor.
The units themselves are spacious and good for families with children, but the decor you get are dependent on the condo owner's taste. The unit we stayed in had no air-conditioning - but i guess you really dont need that in Kauai. We also had the pest control people knock on our door but since we were checking out the next day, we refused the service.
The complex has no pool (even though it is right on the beach) but they have an arrangement with the Tennis and Pool complex across the street (about half a mile from the beach with no shuttle) where you can go and swim if you would like.
Front desk check in is slow and there is no concierge.
Bottomline - It's probably an OK place because of its location at a two star level. Certainly not a Castle as the name suggests
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai by Outrigger(R) is situated on a 35-acre oceanfront setting at Poipu Beach shaded by tall swaying palms and scented by fragrant plumeria blossoms. Play at the resort's swimming beach, dine at Plantation Gardens Restaurant, and tee off at Kiahuna Golf Club. The internationally-recognized orchid and succulent gardens are living legacies of this former plantation estate. Explore historic Koloa Town a few minutes away, drive west to Waimea Canyon, or east to Hanalei on the north shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Kiahuna Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation Hotel Poipu
- Outrigger Hotel Kiahuna Plantation
- Outrigger Hotel Koloa
- Outrigger Poipu
- Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai/Poipu