“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 30 Specialty lodging in Poipu
Lincoln City, Oregon
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just got back from Kauai' after a full 7 nights stay at the Outrigger Kiahuna. We had a partial ocean view/garden view. This condominium unit was centrally located on the south shore within walking distance of the most popular snorkeling swimming beach around. The condo was great, with lots of room to move around. No air conditioning, but lots of fans and windows. It had a great patio, large and roomy which also allowed the tropical breeze to blow around and help to keep this kool. It was tough to get onto the wifi and eventually had to ask the front desk for exact, specific directions...they eventually offered a handout, but only after I asked. The flat screen TV was on the fritz; it worked when it wanted to; you'd get sound but no screen., and that lasted for the entire week The kitchen was great! It had lots of room to move around and cook. You get free room service mid-week and you needed too; all the towels were wet. They never seemed to be able to dry completely. Be sure to purchase some cheap beach towels while you're there. There's a shopping/eating area across the street. Lots of restaurants. There are a few grocery stores very close by in Kaloa, but everything is super expensive; milk, break, cereal. Make a stop at Costco if you can and check out their deli section. Generous portions of delicious food, in good containers that will last you through the week..Don't waste your time bringing snorkeling gear from home; you can rent it all by the day or week right there at the resort. $15 dollars for fins, snorkel and mask. There is just so much to do and see that we found out that 7 days was not nearly enough time to just lay on the beach and relax. Be sure to check out the Spouting Horn, the Allerton Garden, The coffee plantation...The hotel can easily hook you up with whatever adventure you'd like to check out.
A 1 hour helicopter ride around the island is an absolute must, if you don't do anything else.
Over all I'd say that the Outrigger is the way to go. We are making plans to go back next year and will stay at the same place, but up closer to the ocean. I hope that this helps you out. Oh! You really don;t need to bring too many extra clothes along. A couple of bathing suits, tee-shirts, a wrap or two for you wahines and of course SUN GLASSES! Aloha!

Room Tip: We were in room 418...The 3rd floor. The balcony faced the ocean and we had an awesome breeze blowi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were in number 303 which was a one bedroom one bathwhich we had rented directly from the owner via VRBO. Check in was friendly and quick. The lanai (loved it) overlooked the garden ,thus it was quiet, and very private. ...and no ,or very distant checken noises in the early AM. The windows let in plenty of air with the slats. No need for air conditioning. We never did go to the pool, because we loved the beach.. The beach access was a five minute walk, it was awesome . Beach chairs and towels were free. The accommodations were clean, and simple, and perfect for us.I loved the communal BBQ, used it often ,and made new friends while cooking ! Mid week cleaning was included by Charles, our condo owner.. We loved the condo, the resort, and are planning to go back.

Room Tip: It is a very big property, if you do not mind a 5 minute walk to the beach, then you have lots of gr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When booking this resort through Pleasant Holidays, my original plan was to get the Run-of -the -mill Condo (cheapest cost). I was advised that the Condo's in this price range would be adjacent to a busy road and I would be subjected to traffic noise. Upon this suggestion I upgraded to a Royal Garden View. When I arrived I was assigned a Condo, and was given one at the back of the property adjacent to the busy road. The Staff did allow me to change my room to an upstairs. I contacted my travel agent and informed them of my situation. I was told by her, that Pleasant Holidays would contact me ASAP. I never heard from them or the Condo Management. When I upgraded, I was told my Condo would be more in the center, in a quieter part of the property.. On the 2nd day, I contacted the staff, who told me that my Condo was part of the Royal Garden package??? Advice to anyone booking.... call the Hotel Staff and ask where your Condo will be located. We made the best of it while there. The Condo was well furnished, and well maintained. Remember, there is no Air Conditioning... Window Slats provide all the ventilation, along with ceiling fans. We had no problem with this, especially being upstairs.
The Grounds are beautiful, and the staff was friendly. My brother stayed at the Sheraton, next door, and we had no problem walking between the properties. All in all, except for the room snafu, we enjoyed our stay. Great Shopping center across the street, with Starbucks, and many restaurants, and shops. Also note that Housekeeping Service isn't daily. We had one visit during our stay, which we knew in advance. You can have more housekeeping, but at an added cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I liked the location of the condo. We were in number 30 which was a one bedroom one bath. My hubby loved the place. The windows let in plenty of air with the slats. No need for air conditioning. It was a pain to go to the pool though but I heard they are trying to install one in the future which would make this property appealing to the masses. I found the beach access awesome and ocean swimming no problem. I loved the fact that beach chairs were free. We had visitors every night a couple of geckos which was fun for the kids. Otherwise the accommodations are basic no frills. I would ask for this unit again because it was a royal garden view close to the ocean bottom floor. We loved the lanai.

• Stayed November 2012
Gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Great location has resturant and small shopping village opposite resort , we stayed in a fantastic one bedroom apartment was at back of complex but still had great views across lawns to ocean, beachfront, room was very spacious and had full kitchen, laundry in complex was useful, great spot make sure you have a hire care to explore island .

• Stayed June 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We rented a one bedroom condo (#143) at the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation through VRBO and were extremely pleased with the condo, the grounds and the beach. It is a great location on Poipu and extremely reasonable compared to the hotels that surround it. Only a few of the units actually have ocean views but all the units are within a 100 yards of the ocean and have great garden views. The Plantation is one of the very few locations that has a true sandy beach as well as a fairly well protected cove with great snorkeling right out front. This part of the island has the best weather all year round and is fairly central to all the sites on the island. Check out VRBO for the best rates and Costco travel for the best prices on rental cars.

Room Tip: I would avoid building 38, 39, 40, 41 and 42 if possible as they are three levels an towards the bac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Kiahuna Plantation is conveniently located at one of the better snorkeling spots. The gardens and setting is beautiful, although we didn't quite understand why the lawn was watered to a swamp in places. The cozy apartment units are very similar, with basic furnishings, and well equipped kitchens.
At the desk Gayle, the Expedia local expert, was extremely helpful with information, as well as selecting the best tours and activities for our family. Our absolute favorite activity was the Kauai Sea Riders tour with Captain Tara. Even though weather conditions were somewhat bad, we saw turtles, all kinds of fish, and spinner dolphins. It wasn't in our plans to do a snorkeling trip (none of us have ever snorkeled before), we did this on Gayle's recommendation, and we are so glad we did!
The Kiahuna Swim and Tennis Club was a great spot to go to on windy days, the pool was a hit with the kids, and they also provide towels (different from the ones you get at the plantation for ocean use). The Casablanca restaurant served delicious drinks at poolside.
Highly recommend this spot. We wanted something relaxing, something that didn't feel like a hotel. Outrigger Kiahuna was just right!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation? Share your experiences!