“Shhhhhh.We loved it but don't tell anyone because we don't want Koloa Landing to get too busy.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort

Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been visiting the Poipu Beach area for several weeks annually since 1999. We have watched this property since construction began several years ago and decided to stay here for a few nights before we gained access to our time share. First, the good! The Koloa Landing suites are some of, if not the finest equipped condo's on the island. Granite counter tops, Sub Zero refrigerator and Wolf countertop, microwave and stove along with a Bosch dishwasher are the kitchen appliances while a Bosch Washer-Dryer await you in the laundry room. Each of the three bedroom-three bath units have their own patio and our living room area was equipped with a sliding glass wall that could be pushed back into a wall holding unit. All rooms are equipped with Flat Screen Televisions. Beds provided for an excellent nights rest and baths/showers were equipped with top end fixtures.

Now, the bad. We purchased groceries for breakfasts and lunches during our three day visit. I awoke the first morning at 0600 to take a walk, visit the local Starbucks and return to make breakfast for the family. As I walked thru the kitchen I stopped to check on our food, only to drop it finding it full of ants. Turning on the light in the kitchen area, I found that we had been invaded overnight by an army of ants who had gained access to everything from the bagels to the bread. I woke my wife and daughter up and we immediately thru away most of the products and dispatched the ants. I also called the front desk and was told that someone would be up after 8:00am to deal with the problem.
As 0900 approached, I once again called the front desk and was greeted by a young lady. When I asked about the exterminator, she advised that since I had not called her back, she assumed I had taken care of the problem. I asked that she pursue the issue and called me back within 15 minutes to tell me she was unable to reach their exterminator and would most likely not be able to get anyone out. So, my wife, using what she had learned over the years, spread liquid detergent over the areas where the ants were gaining access to the counter top. Ant problem solved by the guest.

Next issue is Wi-Fi.. We paid the hotel for this service as part of our daily fee. However, from our room, neither of our families AT&T or Verizon phones could pick up the hotels Wi Fi signal and we reverted to using our phones as our own Hot Spots.. I asked the Front Desk about this issue and was told they would contact someone, and of course, I never heard another word!

Last, if you come here expecting to be "on the Ocean", you will be disappointed. The current walkway to the ocean is gravel and thru a parking lot, sort of over the river and thru the woods.. However, you are less than a 5 minute drive from Poipu Beach, 2 minutes from a great Scuba Diving shore spot and less then that to reach some of the very best restaurants in the area.

If this property can straighten out the front desk issues and learn to be responsive to their customers issues, even to advise there was nothing that could be done to rectify issues brought to their attention, this property could easily be excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
T H, Manager at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Aloha Pftambur:

We appreciate your feedback. As you experienced, we have the finest and most spacious rooms in Kaua'i. I apologize for the lack of communication and action by the staff. I have improved the system of escalating challenges so this will not occur in the future. We are also opening our new building in May and adding a spa this summer. We hope to see you again soon.

Mahalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This was our third trip to Kaua'i and Koloa Landing made this the best ever. Location in Poi'ipu is in the middle of all the beautiful sites on the south shore. Wonderful restaurants are close by. The units are beautiful. Our 2 bedroom unit was immaculate and had everything we needed to make breakfast and anything else we wanted. Landscaping is breathtaking. Heated pool is nice and spas were warm and beautiful.
Construction is ongoing but did not interfere in any way. We will be coming back and it will be interesting to see what the completed resort will look like.
Good job Wyndham!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Jerry:

Mahalo for taking the time to write about your vacation at Koloa Landing. We make every effort to provide extraordinary accommodations and service. As you point out, our guests have the option of preparing a wonderful meal in our elegant rooms or dining out in some of the islands finest restaurants at Kukui'ula. We are delighted that you were our guest at Koloa Landing Resort. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Aloha
Woodside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed in a 3 bedroom suite that had a washer and dryer. Each room had its own bathroom and lanai. The heated pool was a comfortable temperature and the hot tub was so relaxing. Lapperts ice cream parlor is a walk away. I will definitely be returning to this establishment again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My biggest complaint wasn't their fault...I wish we had stayed longer! This was our 3rd island for the last 4 days of a 10 day stay. The places we stayed got progressively better so this was the best. There were 5 adults staying in a 3 bedroom. When we walked in, we were like kids on Christmas, running from room to room. Everything was beautiful and clean. Everyone had their own TV and bathroom. The lanai was crazy big and even though most of our view was of the construction site with the ocean as a backdrop, it didn't matter. I watched the sunrise on my last morning there and it was beautiful. Kitchen is gorgeous. There was also a small laundry room. The bed was very comfortable and we didn't even need the AC. We kept all the lanai doors open (with screens) and the ceiling fans and slept very comfortably. Beach is walking and/or driving distance. Poipu village is walking distance. There's also a new shopping area that is very close by with some restaurants and stores and most importantly, a Lappert's Ice Cream. I personally didn't see the smaller pool but a friend said it was really nice. You can get an outdoor massage there. The water is colder than the large pool though. The large pool was awesome. It looks like a lagoon and there's a jacuzzi. It is not overly chlorine-y. There's a concierge there that provides you with towels and tour info. The adequately sized fitness room overlooks the large pool. I worked out and jumped in the pool right after. There are a couple of BBQ grills as well. Other than that, we really didn't explore the property. I think it wasn't that crowded although the young lady at the front desk said that it was completely booked when we checked in. We LOVED this property. Construction starts around 8:30 AM and we were never around for it during the day. It was never a bother. I'm actually grateful for it. Who knows if we could have afforded it otherwise?! I don't know when I'll be in Kauai again but I would love to stay here if I am.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha Boriqua72:

Thank you for the glowing review. We appreciate that you are sharing your experience with your fellow travelers. As you graciously pointed out we have large lanais in every spacious unit, amenities that are unmatched and a staff that has the true Aloha spirit. Our new building will open in May followed by our new spa and fitness center. You will not want to miss the improvements we are completing. At Koloa Landing Resort our guests are like family. We hope to see you soon.

Mahalo

Been to Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort? Share your experiences!