“Maybe in a few years” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manhattan Beach, California
“Maybe in a few years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Preface: We live one mile from the beach in So Cal. So our expectation of going to a place with an ocean view may differ from others. We were also seeking a couples getaway and more of a full service property.

My wife did alot of research and we were looking for a hotel with full service for a good price, like anyone. Upon arrival it all looked good. we had secured an "ocean view" room and upon walking in we were dazzled by the size and modern design. It was a two bedroom that was brand new inside. As we said goodbye to the bellman we began to settle in. We opened the drapes and low and behold... our ocean view was a view of a rock pile in a tarpped off construction site that has had nothing done in months. The ocean was off at a distance to the right beyond the houses and construction site. Hardly what we expected. Nonetheless we were bummed that we had to look out at that.
I then went for a walk of the property and realized that there is nothing but a small coffee spot selling drinks and snacks. No where to eat on the property.

The pool looks nice but is surrounded by two of the buildings. Its like swimming at your friends condo complex. The beach is a 10 minute drive away. If you want to walk there bring a day pack to carry your stuff because it will take you 20-30 minutes walk to get to Poipu Beach.

I called the front desk and asked for a different room. They offered one but by the time I checked the rest of the property out I was done. Dont get me wrong, its very nice, new and clean but there is no where to have a drink, grab a bite and not even close to the beach. The ocean out front is actually through a neighborhood and to the road. the water is right there but all big rocks.

The great photo of the lobby with beamed cielings and blue ocean in the distance is not how it looks. There is a construction fence just past the lobby, no ocean view, just a few of the properties buildings.

We ended up staying one night.

The GOOD: the bathroom tub is enormaous and great for two. The rooms are very nice and great for a family trip or two couples. When they are done with their final phase of construction it will be a very nice condo type resort.

We would go there is we wanted to take the kids to Poipu.

Room Tip: Talk about the construction
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
KoloaLanding_10, General Manager at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Aloha Youchoose13,

Mahalo for your candid feedback of our property. Please allow me to apologize for falling short of your expectations, we want to ensure that every guest has an amazing experience and it is not our intention to provide false perceptions of our resort. While we do not claim to have a restaurant we do have a MarketPlace that serves a variety of items including, breakfast, lunch and dinner items. In addition we have a full service bar and offer pool side service. We run these operations based on the demand hours from the majority of our guests, perhaps there were times that we were closed when you were looking for service and for that I sincerely apologize.

You are 100% correct that Poipu Beach Park is a 20 minute walk however there are three crescent’s that make up “Poipu Beach” and the closest beach to our resort is the first along those crescent’s and is a mere 5 minute walk from the resort. While I understand that we are not beach front and make no claim to be, I do think that we would be selling ourselves short to not state that we have ocean views because you can clearly see the ocean for our villas and resort grounds. Unfortunately some of our ocean views are over-looking our future construction area that we are developing in relation to our website messaging.

I certainly understand that your business is earned by exceeding your expectations and we are committed to doing just that. We will be sure to not disappoint you in the future and hope that you will come back to experience our resort when phase 2 is complete and we have many of the full amenities that you are looking for. I would be very happy to speak with you directly about your concerns listed or any other concerns that you may have. Please feel free to email me at nclark@wyndham.com or call me directly at 808-240-6604.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
home
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Beautiful place and most comfortable place we have ever stayed in BUT we all woke up every morning with bites. Upon returning home I looked up what bed bug bites look like and sure enough these look like bed bug bites. A shame cause we really liked this place. It is in the middle of phases, so no construction noise but an unsightly fence does ring the property. Not bad if you are in a high room or a low room facing the pool area. My husband did not like this particular property because it is not ocean front, it's a long walk down the street and around to the Sheraton and that is not that spectacular either due to their renovation right along the beach.

We won't be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KoloaLanding_10, General Manager at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Aloha ranchomom,

Mahalo for your recent review of our property. I am pleased that you found our resort to be beautiful and comfortable however I am extremely concerned regarding the notion that there may be bed bugs in our resort. While there have been occurrences of bed bugs on the Hawaiian Islands this is mostly on Oahu due to their high volume of international travel. It is rare to have them on Kauai and it would certainly be a first case for Koloa Landing, actually the first case of any type of bite whatsoever. While bed bugs are not a reflection on the cleanliness of a facility as they typically come into a property via guest luggage from a foreign country it is something that we try to be prepared for. We conduct trainings with any new staff members on how to discover the signs of bed bugs while they are changing the linen and in addition we have a licensed commercial pest control company that services the resort monthly. If there were to ever be a bite brought to our attention this company will come out same day and investigate as well which is why we like to know about these things when they are very first realized.

If you would be so kind as to email me at nclark@wyndham.com or call me directly at 808-240-6604 so that I may obtain your information I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to get our pest control company in the villa you occupied immediately to do a thorough inspection and treat accordingly. I look very forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband and 8-month-old son. We were in need of a condo with a second room, a full-size kitchen, and a washing machine/dryer. We got all this and more! First the location...the resort is located in Poipu, which is about 30 minutes from the capital of Lihue. I loved the location! I felt it was really central to many of the great features of the island. The resort itself, however, is not located right on the beach as I would have liked. It's walking distance to the beach, however, there are many rocks in that area. To get to the sandy part, we had to drive about 5 min (not too far but still driving distance) to the nearest sand beach. If you have young kids, this beach at Piopu State Park is perfect! There is an area surrounded by a barrier of rocks which is perfect for young kids to wade in and is protected from waves and also a playground.

For the resort itself...the rooms were spectacular! I had one of those "wow" moments when I walked in. The kitchen has all high-end appliances and was fully stocked with everything you need to prepare a meal. Each room had a flat panel TV screen and DVD player. The bathrooms were large and spacious. I liked that the washer/dryer was also in its own room (as opposed to being in a closet like most other resorts). The balconey was also huge and furnished with an outdoor dining set and relaxing chairs to enjoy the ocean breezes. The view from our room was just okay though. We could view the ocean from a distance but our immediate view was of the construction site which wasn't too pleasant.

For amenties...I loved the pool area. There are two pools. One is enormous and beautiful. We spent majority of our time here. The other pool, located about a min walk away, contains the waterfalls but is a lot smaller than I expected from the pictures. It would also have been nice for the two pools to be adjoining (as opposed to having to get out of one and walk to the other) but both pools were nice. Both pools had bbq grills which we used on a couple of occasions. The lobby area is nice and the staff were amazingly friendly. There was a nightly social held in the lobby which was a great place to meet other vacationers. There are no restaurants at the resort which is a negative but there were some great restaurants located in the local shopping center just a few minutes drive away. The resort also has a gym which we didn't get a chance to use.

Overall, for the price we paid, this was an amazing place to stay. Although we wished we stayed there once the resort was fully complete, we had zero regrets about our decision to stay here. It was everything we expected and more. I can only imagine it'll be even more amazing once it's fully completed!

Room Tip: Don't stay in building 9...mostly views of construction site.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KoloaLanding_10, General Manager at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Aloha nkTraveler01,

Mahalo for staying with us at Koloa Landing. I am so happy to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy the beautiful villas at the resort and had a chance to get some use of our resort amenities. Poipu Beach Park is fantastic for kids and sounds like your family had a blast there!

We look forward to growing with our restaurant and spa in our next phase and hope that you will give us yet another opportunity on your next trip to the island.

Cardiff-by-the-Sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We loved the fabulous suite and incredible pool. The gourmet kitchen was a delight, and the bed was heaven! Zillion-count sheets and down everything made getting up really hard! The staff was wonderful.The pool was so big I had to shoot a panorama shot to get it all. The resort was quiet and peaceful, but might not stay that way as it really hadn't been "discovered" yet. It's not right on the beach but very close. The in-suite laundryroom was really appreciated.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Aloha SoCalBagLady,

Mahalo for staying with us and for the great review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and found the resort to be peaceful....even as we continue to grow we will do everything in our power to ensure that you have a great personalized experience to keep that boutique feel to things.

I look very forward to hosting your next getaway to Kauai!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at the Koloa Landing property on the tail end of our wedding/honeymoon trip in July. The rooms are like nothing I've ever stayed in. I'll itemize my review points for clarity.
The desk staff: Wonderful. When we checked in, we were originally given a room closer to the ocean view (as we booked) but because of the uncompleted resort, we actually had hardly any view. We asked if there was another room to move us to instead and they were happy to oblige and actually put us into an even bigger suite with a gorgeous wrap-around lanai. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and accomodating. There isn't a lot of staff though; the resort is still in the building up stage. It felt a little more like checking into a condo complex than a hotel/resort.
The rooms: Beyond compare. Love the semi-private elevator. Beautifully furnished, high end appliances, washer dryer, and a fully stocked kitchen to make anything. Comfy beds. Lanais with tons of furniture. Gorgeous bathrooms. The only thing missing (which is incredible, because they really thought of everything) was BBQ tongs/flippers. We took advantage of the BBQ's one evening and wished we had some.
The resort grounds: Here is lacking because it's not finished, and I would be very interested to see the property in another year or two when the large water feature down the center of the property is completed; I think at that point, you'll really start to get the feel of the resort. We did use the pool and hottub and also the BBQ. What is there currently is lovely, but the large grassy space and parking lot feels sparse and complex-y compared to a resort filled with lush foliage, walkways, water features, restaurants, etc. There is a gym, but we didn't have time to check it out. It's a shame too that they are charging the full 'resort fee' before it's fully completed. $20 is a little steep.
Overall though, at the price they are renting these suites...you cannot find anything close. If you want to stay on the property all day, you might prefer something a little more 'full service' and fully built. If you want a beautiful spot to come home to, this is a great choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
KoloaLanding_10, General Manager at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Aloha LAtoMaui,

Mahalo for allowing us here at Koloa Landing to be a part of your honeymoon getaway. It sounds like you had a great trip overall and we are so thrilled to be a part of your honeymoon memories.

I am glad you can see the potential in the resort and we are eager to complete future phases and have more of the amenities in place that you may be looking for. You will be pleased to know that not only will we hopefully will have the great 10,000 sq. ft. pool on your return visit, we will have our function space for parties/luau's and our main restaurant hopefully built out by that time. I appreciate your feedback on the grass lawns, while these are future building sites we have made good use of them in just this week and have some great plans moving forward. Effective immediately we have a full size volleyball net that is up as well as badminton, croquet, soccer, bean bag toss, ladderball, and much more! We even have giant lawn chess and checkers sets on order and are finalizing plans to put a putting green in!

The resort will definiately continue to take shape week after week and we look forward to having you stay with us again. Hopefully you can make an anniversary trip to Kauai next year!

Mahalo Nui Loa
Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is most gorgeous place to stay in Poipu! Brand new...just opened Fall 2010. If you aren't impressed by the granite sinks in 3 bathrooms, sub zero fridge, and spacious living dining areas-- the step outside to a short walk to the most beautiful beaches in the world!

The staff was so accomodating-- even bringing us matches to light birthday candles in our condo. Love this place! I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Thank you, Koloa Landing!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
KoloaLanding_10, General Manager at Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Aloha KauaiMom2011,

Mahalo for choosing Koloa Landing for a birthday celebration. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to many more birthday celebrations at the resort or even just a weekend getaway when you're looking for an escape.

La Quinta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

If you are visiting Kauai as a family this is a great place to stay. After we picked up our rental car, we stopped by the local Costco and picked up all of the food and drinks we needed for the week. Each condo is practically brand new and very clean. There is a big kitchen with all of the latest and greatest appliances and a huge built in Subzero fridge. Our two boys were very excited as they had their own room, own TV and their own bathroom with a big shower. The master suite was very nice as well and it had a HUGE bathroom with two sinks, a soaking tub, and a very nice shower. If you are planning on visiting different places on the island, then this is a excellent place to call your home for the week. We spent each day exploring different parts of Kauai and then we would come back to this great spot and the kids would swim in the huge pool and then we would go down to the poolside BBQ and grill up some burgers and steaks. We also went out for meals a few nights, but just having the option to grill when you want was a plus. The property never felt crowded and the local beaches were just minutes away by car. The only downside was the maid service got a little mixed up during our stay. Make sure to let the front desk know that you would like maid service EVERY day or else they will only do it every other day. Other than that, this place was an excellent place to stay. We are already talking about returning to Koloa Landing next Summer.

Room Tip: Call the front desk and ask them for a room on either level 3 or 4
Aloha kbarclay1967,

Mahalo for the great review! I am so pleased that you and your boys enjoyed the spacious villa and the amenities of the resort. Costco is definitely a great stop on the way in to get prepared for the week. In the future feel free to use our grocery shopping service as an added convenience and we will stock the refrigerator with all of your favorites for you!

Again, thank you for the feedback and we look forward to your next visit and having your boys enjoy the new 10,000 sq. ft. pool with waterslides and more that we will be building in the next phase of our resort.

Director of Operations

Been to Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort? Share your experiences!