“Sheraton Kauai - Nice!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Austin, Texas
“Sheraton Kauai - Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Sheraton a lovely resort with beautiful palms and set on a gorgeous little beach.

Upon driving up, the valet man wouldn't tell us where we could self park, only that we had to check-in first and then we should return to car and they would tell us where to park. Other than that, the valet staff were wonderful! We used valet parking because guest parking seemed very limited.

The check-in was easy. Our room had a view of the front of the hotel and a small pond. On the balcony you could look through the trees and have a partial view of the ocean. The bed and bedding were wonderful! The bathroom and bathroom towels were wonderful! The housekeeping staff were super nice.

The concierge, Walt, was very knowledgeable and gave great advise (thank you Walt!). The (local) valets were also super nice and gave invaluable advise (thank you Nick!).

We ate at the restaurants on the property for breakfast 1 time and dinner 1 time. The food was definitely uninspired. There are plenty of great restaurants in the area so no worries on that, we would not eat at the hotel again. The pantry/coffee shop's snack prices were quite high so we purchased our drinks and snacks at a local market for less than 1/2 what the hotel was charging.

The hotel pool area is nice but not as nice (big) the Sheraton Maui or Westin properties. Guests would come early and 'reserve' their chairs with towels or books so that we didn't ever use the pool area. The 1/2 covered cabana chairs were $50.00 per day so we didn't use those either. We recommend going to the local discount store, buying an umbrella and chairs and using those on any of the other fabulous beaches on the island.

Check-out was a breeze.

We would definitely go back to the Sheraton Kauai. Have your plan as mentioned above and your vacation will be wonderful. The next time we go to Kauai, we plan to stay at the Westin on the North end of the Island.

Room Tip: Recommend the full ocean view, on the beach side of the road. A/C turns off by itself at night, so...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our third visit to this property in the last 10 years. One of the best locations on the south coast. Oceanfront rooms are well worth the extra money. Now the bad part - I am a Starwood gold preferred guest. I have spent over $40,000 with Starwood in the past 11+ years and am very loyal. I booked this property months prior to arrival with a request for building/floor location preference. I followed up this request with 2 calls directly to the hotel as to my request. Upon arrival no rooms available per my request. Manager on duty Peter offed an apology and a free dinner but no explanation as to why my reservation request was not honored (I turned down the dinner). Front desk clerk Chris was OUTSTANDING - very professional and went out of his way to help me .Called me later that evening to provide me room checkout updates to give me options later in the week. I requested callback from general manager - Chip Bahouth, but never got the call. I guess my SPG status was not that important to him. Fitness Center needs alt of work - same old equipment from my initial visit 10 years ago. Tennis courts are terrible - weeds growing thru cracks in the court, large holes in fence, and holes in the net. The other 2 courts cannot be used - a broken basketball goal is sitting in middle of second court and no net on the third court. Management needs to walk around property to see these issues for themselves. Front line employees are very friendly and professional. Location is best aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Aloha a b,

Mahalo for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts and for your patronage over the years. While there are several factors that affect room assignment, the resort does its best to accommodate our guests preferences. We apologize that your requests were not met upon your arrival but are happy to hear that Chris shared his warm aloha with you and provided some options for later in your stay. We are sorry for the miscommunication regarding connecting with our general manager; Chip would be pleased to speak with you at your convenience to discuss your stay further. We are pleased to let you know that a plan is in place to update our fitness center by year's end, and look forward to having the opportunity to share other facility improvements with you upon your next stay. Thank you for always choosing Sheraton Kauai, and we hope to be of service to you again soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a great time at the Sheraton! Our room was upgraded to a suite using Starwood points, so if you do that, you'll get a great room. I also liked that boogie boards were available to rent from the hotel's beach rental desk by the pool. If you're into surfing, you can rent boards on the beach right beside the hotel and just walk them out to the water, no transportation needed. We went over to the Hyatt to do the lithified cliffs hike that was right beside it and thought the pool and grounds of the Hyatt looked significantly nicer than the Sheraton, though. So, if you can get the rooms for the same price, I'd suggest going for the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a suite gets you a nicer bed in addition to a nicer room overall.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very Beautiful and centrally located. We enjoyed walking around the grounds and back and forth to some of the restaurants nearby. The beach and pool areas are immaculate. The restaurants are great if not a little bit expensive, I would definitely venture out into the town and get some basic groceries to keep your budget under control. We are both big runners and enjoyed the route to Spouting Horn (5 miles). I wish the hotel would get some new treadmills, however, because the ones they have are for home and not commercial use and are the only option when it gets too hot to run outdoors. There are also only two which get claimed early. It was a disappointing gym for a hotel of that size, though I doubt that is what most people go there for!

Room Tip: Spring for the Ocean View
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Sally D,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai and for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased you enjoyed the resort's location and grounds as well as finding a great running course to Spouting Horn. We apologize for our fitness center not meeting your expectations; a plan is in place to update our fitness facility by the end of the year to provide a better workout experience for our guests. We hope we can share our improvements with you in the future and look forward to the chance to being of service to you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the Sheraton Kauai in Poipu and it was great! We booked an oceanfront room in the Ocean Wing of the resort. Our balcony overlooked the crashing waves and gorgeous sunset! I highly recommend spending a bit more money for this type of room. The staff was excellent and any request we had was taken care of. The pool and grounds were well manicured and the beach is the best on the island! We were there during high surf but it made for some fun times in the ocean!!

I highly recommend this resort if you're staying on the south side of the island!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed on this property and it was a good experience. We were only in Kauai for a couple of days and ventured out most of the time so we really can't comment on all the amenities. I do love the sunnier side of the island, Poipu, though! Our tower was right next to the self-parking lot which proved to be very convenient to us. We also had a great ocean view even though we were across the street from the lobby and 'main' building.

We sat on the beach/pool area once after getting some local food nearby. The pool wasn't huge but the whole experience still proved to be nice. Although, I did think to myself "if we actually used the pool/beach and had to walk back to our hotel room across the street, that's a little inconvenient". If that sorta thing bothers you, I guess you'd need to pay more to stay at the 'main' building!

Back to our room... it was spacious enough for my me and my husband. Although, we got a double bed room which might have added to our space. We stayed at a resort in Maui a few days prior so naturally I was quick to compare the two, the Sheraton room was smaller and didn't have as much counter space. But not all hotel rooms are created equal and I still liked our room very much. It at least had bathroom ventilation which I griped about in a previous Hawaii hotel review! The design in the room was simple, clean, updated, and tropical. I would definitely stay here again but maybe I'd pay extra to stay at the 'main' building next time.. especially if I want to make more use of the hotel's pool, beach area, shopping, restaurants, etc.! I mean, it wasn't that big of a deal but sometimes it might be worth to pay extra for the convenience if your time is short (like ours was).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right on the water. We enjoyed sitting at the pool with the beach just feet away. The pool was large enough and pool service was good. The rooms were nice and the staff was very helpful and friendly. It was very nice for a beach hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!