“Incredible Hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Alexandria, Virginia
“Incredible Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton for two nights after renting a house on the North Shore with friends for a week. I am giving this hotel 4 stars for the service and incredible location. The beach is wonderful and will not disappoint. The second day I was there I had to leave very early for a snorkeling trip. When I asked the valet for my car I asked him if there was anywhere I could get coffee that early. He told me that McDonalds near the port was probably my best bet. Five minutes later he came back with my car and a cup of coffee for me. He'd gone out of his way to get it from the employee lounge so I wouldn't have to drive a half hour at the crack of dawn before I got coffee. It was such a simple genuine act of kindness that it put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. That was the one that blew me away, but the staff consistently demonstrated the "aloha" hospitality we all hope for in Hawaii. Leona at the front desk also went above and beyond to help figure out a way for me to stay in my room for an extra half day since my flight out didn't leave until midnight on my last day. The rooms and restaurants are good plus, not great. The room service Poke is yummy if you're into Poke.

Room Tip: There are two complexes. If you booked a "garden room" try for one on the beach side of t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Polish first
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had garden view room across the road from the beach and main hotel. A little farther to walk but the view of the garden and pool was very nice. The grounds are nicely groomed and quite attractive.

Staff was friendly and helpful except for massage that never returned our call.

Breakfast at RumFire was good and ocean view from restaurant is excellent. Food at snack bar by the pool and the deli was poor and we did not want to risk a bad dinner when there were so many good options nearby.

The beach seems to the the longest and best in the Poipu area. If you want a beach experience with your hotel, I would highly recommend the Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here, because it was the best value I could get for Poipu. My husband and I spend most of our time sightseeing, and don't really care for luxury amenities where we stay; we just need a nice, clean hotel just to sleep in. The Sheraton is situated in a great location in Poipu; The main roads to Waimea and Kapaa are easy to get to from the resort and Our room was clean, but were a bit dated and bare bones. A good perk was free internet for up to 4 devices in the room. The beds were uncomfortable at least in my non-oceanfront, but full ocean view room. I guess you get what you pay for.

However, we spent most of our first evening in Kauai walking around the resort. The pool is kind of small, the hot tub temp is a little too cool set at 95 at that time of the day. The Lava restaurant is kind of beachy cheesy, but definitely has a "on vacation" kind of feel. However, all of that is fine and serves the purpose of calling this place a resort. The beachfront location is the real gem of this resort. The waters are relatively calm on the beach due to off shore reefs breaking the strength of the waves.

While the fitness room does have a good view of the ocean, it is kind of small and the few equipment pieces face the tv which is on the adjacent wall. They also offer complimentary morning yoga on certain days.

Breakfast was included with our resort package, which is served at the RumFire Restaurant. Although the menu stayed the same, what was included in our "free" breakfast changed everyday depending on the waiter. For instance, two waiters said fruit was included, and two waiters said fruit was additional. Free breakfast options were mostly egg-based dishes, ranging from "healthy" egg white omelets and wraps to more rich whole egg omelets with bacon or sausage. Several of the days, we saw whales during breakfast.

The staff was friendly, professional, and prompt. We had an error on our bill, it was researched and taken care of in a matter of minutes. If you want luxurious rooms at this resort I think you have to pay the price for the oceanfront rooms, but if you want a clean room, in a great location, with basic resort amenities then Sheraton can be a good value when staying in Poipu.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai from 12/29/12 - 1/6/13. This is a beautiful hotel, with beautifully kept grounds and very clean. It is very centrally located so that most activities aren't too far away. It sits on a small bay that I was told at the time of making my reservation that the ocean in front of the hotel was very safe and calm for swimming, even for my 8 year old son. It was a bit rougher than described; my son did swim in the ocean but stayed very close to shore.

Check-in was very smooth and efficient. The room was very clean as was the bathroom. The hotel claims it has wi-fi throughout the hotel but our room, #1138, had no such access.

The pool is not managed very well; there were never enough towels for the guests, and we'd have to come back several times to see if towels had been delivered. There are also not enough chairs around the pool, so of course people would come early in the morning and claim chairs that they wouldn't end up using until hours later. There are no bikes on the property, either for riding outside or stationary bikes for the exercise room.

Food at Lava's was absolutely terrible, not worth a fraction of the $65 per lunch for 2 kids and 2 adults (and we didn't order any alcohol). The hummus was watery, and the meat in the Philly cheese steak sandwich was completely dried up and barely edible.

Overall, it was a nice stay but this is a 3 star hotel, certainly not a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lake winnebago Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Aloha Paulie, Mark, Cindy and all the other great people we shared time with! You guys made us feel so welcome & blessed! We love & miss you guys. I am counting down the days until a hui hou! Sheraton Kauai resort has done a great job in delivering the Aloha spirit & making us feel like 'ohana! This is our second time first trip was 9days 01/12 second 14 days 01/13! Hotel is set on perfect beach~kid friendly waters unless storm surge~whale watching is awesome from beachfront deluxe~highly recommend the upgrade. Paulie & Mark make the best drinks(fair warning they could make you lolo!) LOL lots of things walking distance resteraunts shops ect..Couldnt ask for more! mahalo nui loa, a hui hou! Kelly renae :)

Room Tip: room 1144 the only way stay!!! oceanfront deluxe double vanity & larger closet! nani!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I visited this hotel in 2007 just to get a feel for it. I was staying elsewhere at the time. I remember not being impressed at the time. I simply looked "dated".

WOW! What a difference now! It looks and breathes like a completely different property. Our deluxe ocean-view room was awesome with a super-comfy bed and great (and private) and unobstructed view. We actually saw whales from our room!

The staff was super friendly and very happy to answer any questions we had. They also have convenient free shuttle service to different nearby hotels, beaches and restaurants. I recommend tipping the drivers. Randy was particularly nice.

The restaurant has been completely gutted and replaced with an outstanding new eatery called Rum Fire. They were open for breakfast and dinner (no lunch) and we were very happy with the service and quality of the food. If you need lunch, Lavas is located pool-side and has great Mai Tai's and food.

We will be back!

Waipahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

After reading the mixed reviews a few months ago from when the property was under renovation, I was pleased to see the recent positive reviews of the results of these changes. I'm a fan of Sheraton hotels and have always received excellent service being a Starwood Preferred Guest member. Our flight got in early morning, so we called ahead to see if early check in was available. We weren't able to check in around 11am, but in the meantime, we had full access to the resort and were given complimentary drink coupons to have mai tais at the Lava Lounge, complimentary valet parking the first day and ton of resort activities. You're paying a $30 resort charge, so take advantage of all the "complimentary" services and activities.
Definitely visit the concierge desk to get info about Kauai and surrounding restaurants/places on interest. Also, they will give you a reusable bag when you do shopping. Kauai has eliminated the usage of plastic bags for all vendors, so be sure to grab one otherwise you'll be doing a juggling act.
Our room was clean, comfortable and had a nice view overlooking the garden side pool and ponds.Beds were super comfortable and we slept like babies. First day was bright and sunny, so we drove along the West side, Waimea Canyon and South shores. Second day was rainy and dreary but driving was still spectacular being able to see waterfalls on the faces of the mountain. Hanalei is a peaceful and magical place to drive to. Very lush and tropical. All in all, it was an enjoyable Anniversary and we have nothing but praise for Sheraton Kauai.
Mahalo nui loa to Zana (front desk) and Cynthia (concierge) for their excellent customer service. Aloha!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!