“I stayed in some, Ocean Front Property......” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Poipu
Denver, Colorado
“I stayed in some, Ocean Front Property......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place was amazing from start to finish! When we checked in, Chris at the front desk was awesome. He talked us through our stay and let us know the lay of the land. He was definitely on his "A" game that evening we checked in. Danilo in the valet area was awesome! As we came back daily, he checked with us to see if anything needed to be taken to the room. Great guy! Need a great voice to help you? Jan in Guest Services was our answer. She helped us daily and answered any questions we had. Our daily pool and beach essentials were taken care of by an enthusiastic young man named Archie...I called him Arch. This guy was non-stop! He took care of you the way a resort should. Be sure to stop by and see this cool cat! Last but not least, Josie. This is the sweetest housekeeper one could have. She made sure daily if we needed our room cleaned and did it with speed and class. Thank you Josie for always looking after us. This play is a hidden gem and a must stay!

Room Tip: If you have status, aim for the Ocean Front Deluxe; 510 sf...you will face the ocean daily.

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
Arvada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

OK, you pay too much to stay here, and really pay too much to stay close to the ocean but really why come here and not pay that much? Great help, great parking, great view. If you want a complaint, really.... Three drawers for one couple to have for a week?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Booked an oceanfront room for 4 nights and was pleasantly surprised! We considered other properties such as the Hyatt and Koa Kea, but the Sheraton seemed to have the best rate for the price (included car rental). I was a bit nervous reading some of the negative reviews, but all in all our stay was great! I think the key to this hotel is booking an oceanfront room. The Sheraton has a separate wing that is across the street with no views- I would have been very disappointed if I had booked there (not sure if rooms were worse, just based on pure location). The view from our room was excellent and the rooms were always kept clean-although bathroom could have been a tad bigger. Housekeeping didn't even take our tips despite leaving them! I liked the fact that the Sheraton beach is at the end of a strip of hotels/condos so it felt a bit more private. Location was OK- we did drive everywhere though. Link cafe was way overpriced- go to the big save market which is a 10 min drive. Customer service was also great- we had a broken light in our room and maintenance came immediately. If I were to stay in Kauai again, I would definitely consider the Sheraton for a return visit. Great location, big enough but not overwhelming (like the Hyatt), and great value- just book the oceanfront and you will not be sorry!

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Love the Poipu beach area in Kauai. Hotel has an amazing view of the ocean and a beach side pool. All staff encountered during this visit was very pleasant and helpful.

The new Rum Fire restaurant is Beautiful too - an amazing view of the ocean from every seat in the house! Food was very good and staff very pleasant and attentive. Modern and peaceful - will return for sure.

Room Tip: Two sides to the hotel Best view of the ocean is from the Ocean side but the Garden side has scener...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I thought the hotel was pretty average. One thing that I think they could use more of was hooks in the room to hang stuff on (wet towels, bathing suits, etc.) and more drawers! They only had 3 small ones in our room and we were staying 10 days! I had to use the chairs and table for my clothes. I also did see one small roach in the bathroom on one of our last nights but it crawled back into the hole it came out of. Housekeeping was great! Always gave us fresh towels and extra ones too!

Checkout is at 11am and they charged us $50 for a late check out of 2pm. Thought that was a little ridiculous since most people going back to the main land need a late checkout.

The beach was really nice and we saw a sea turtle on our 1st day! I was able to take one culture class while I was there and it was just okay, they were running really late (about 15 mins) and we had some place to get to so I was only able to do part of it. The couples cabana massage was wonderful and the ladies were really professional.

I thought Rum Fire was WAY over priced and the Link cafe was also over priced ($7 for a plane sandwich! on store bought bread). And they wouldn't let you substitute things in the cafe which was a little annoying.

I would stay here again if they were offering a really good deal but I will most likely try another hotel next time.

Room Tip: I would try and get something on the ocean side of the hotel if possible, the lanai's were very...
Keller, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Very good location on the beach and somewhat secluded at the end of the road. Overall the room was nice, after all this is not billed as luxury hotel. The king rooms have a little more space, which you lose with the double bed rooms. Only a small bench to sit on in the room (double) no other chairs so you either sit on the beds or on the balcony (not a bad choice).

The staff was very accommodating as our first room (king) had a connecting door (pet peeve) and they moved us to another room (double) that was more to our liking.

They have a 'shuttle' on request if you would like to be dropped off or picked up at a restaurant or bar near the hotel. Really consists of an SUV that they will have one of the staff drive you to your destination and you call for them to pick you up. There is no schedule and it's all first come first serve. We had no problems using the shuttle for happy hours (so we could both drink). I would recommend the bell desk give you an idea when they would be ready to take you as it depends on how busy the staff is. Primarily they just say, 'it will be a little while'. If they would just say it should be 10-15 minutes at most I'd be fine with that, but the way they say it you don't know if you will be sitting there for 30 minutes (we only sat there for 10 minutes at most as the car was there just needed a driver). It's a good service, especially if you don't want to drink and drive.

Which leads to the curious bar situation. Lava is open 11-5, Rum Fire is open at 5:30 so oddly no coverage for 30 minutes. Besides that they have no 'happy hour' which caused us to look elsewhere for happy hours. If they had had something for happy hour we would have stayed on property instead of leaving.

Besides the beach, the property is conveniently located near Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center (a little more than a mile) and Poipu Shopping Village (around 1/2 mile), which gives you easy access to some stores, restaurants and a high end grocer. Koloa is only 3 miles away for some additional shops and restaurants.

IMO you come here if you want to get away from the more commercialized parts of Kauai (Lihue and Kapaa) but still want something near by (as opposed to Princeville). Considering that it's roughly 50 miles to Princeville on the top side and 30 miles to Barking Sands on the West side you are not too far from anything you might want to do on the island.

Room Tip: If you are not on the beach, buildings 5, 6 or 7 are quite choices. King rooms have more space to m...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon early November and to be honest I was I little worried because of some of the reviews on here. They could not be more wrong. We were treated great from day 1. They knew our names and did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. We also got an upgrade from garden view to ocean front which was absolutely amazing. The resort is first class and the pool was super refreshing after laying in the sun. At night they had fires going in the middle part of the resort you could sit around which looks nice and was great to just relax. That was the best part. It wasn't crazy busy with people everywhere and kids running around. The whole atmosphere was relaxing and laid back which I'm sure everyone wants when they go on vacation. The only minor negative I could say is there should be more selection on the menu at their restaurants rumfire and lavas on the beach. Great food just not enough on the menu to select from. Like I said do not believe the negatives you hear on this or any site. This was the best resort I've been to and we will definitely be back. Words and pictures truly cannot describe the beauty of Hawaii. Everyone has to go once in their life and Sheraton Kauai will not disappoint.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!