“Room and restaurants not that good, but pool & beach really nice.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Kauai Resort

Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
San Diego, California
“Room and restaurants not that good, but pool & beach really nice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband & I went on a "baby moon" to Hawaii in September. He is a platinum Starwood member & we have stayed @ many of their properties. The room we got here was not one of he better ones we have stayed in though there was not really anything blatantly wrong with it.

He dining options @ hotel were extremely limited. There was the Rum Bar which felt mor like. Club atmosphere than a Hawaiian one or a little overpriced counter service cafe. We went into the cafe o ask for a plastic knife to use to cut up a mango my husband had bought @ a former market & were shocked to hear she wanted to charge us for a plastic ok. Yikes!

That said, we did enjoy the pool and beach area which was beautiful. We rented. Cabana on the sand for a 1/2 day which was nice. Alo rented a boogie board for very reasonable price.

Room Tip: There was no breakfast restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Very open and airy facility. Excellent valet service. Excellent snorkeling at beaches adjoining property.
Easy access to Waimea Canyon access roads and ocean blow hole.

Our partial ocean view room had about 2 sq ft view of ocean through trees over the parking lot from the balcony at the very back of the property. The room was somewhat crowded with 2 queens.

We stepped out for early morning presentation and left privacy flag on door for about an hour. After returning, removing flag, and touring for the day, returned to find room unserviced. Even the request for added towel set for 3rd person requested 8 hours earlier was not fulfilled until after dinner.

• Stayed November 2012
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Kauai for my first 3 nights on Kauai in early November - my room was on the garden side of the property so it was a little walk to the beach, restaurants and activities but that didn't bother me at all. My room was beautiful and extremely relaxing. Loved the free parking for my rental car. The resort fee of $25 per day isn't extremely appealing but most hotels have some type of resort fee per day anyways. On the days I wasn't hiking the Pihea/Swamp trail - i didn't get to the beach area later than 8 or 8:30. Great snorkeling and exotic fish, unfortunately I never saw a sea turtle. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. I even took a lei class which was fun too...overall it was a great time at the Sheraton though I definitely spent more time exploring the island, the canyon, Kalalau Valley, etc...vs. really staying around at the resort all day. There's soo much to do in Kauai...get ready to have lots of fun! The towel service which is included in the resort fee - I received 2 towels out at a time and that works really well.

Room Tip: My room was extremely quiet, never heard neighboring guests which was nice. The patio's were ni...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

very cheap room. Airconditioner was so loud and we have to turn it off to sleep. The room was small. The bed and bedding are extremely uncomfortable. The matress is so old and so cheap that it doesn't support at all. We had back pain every morning woke up. The bedding materials are very cheap fabric and uncomfortable. The comforter is heavy and thick and unsuitable for the weather. They changed our breakfast package from "buffet" to "order meal". Very limited choices. Beside egg dishes and juice or a slice of fruit, there is really no other things. The waiter/waitress were confused about what was included in our package. One morning they told us we can have this that, then the next morning we ordered the same thing, another waiter told us we can not have that... The garden was beautiful, but bull frogs was barking all night long loudly. My son was woke up by it and can not go back to sleep. One day, the hourse keeper left our room open all day until we came back later evening. I called them to tell them that the door was broken and would not shut close if you pull it after you. You had to slam it really bad to lock it. The beach is lovely, the servie desk at the beach was terrible. The rental price is very high. We should have just buy a boogy board for my son with the less money. We have Mai Tai included in our package. But when I present the card for the Mai Tai, the bar tender was like almost angry at us. We ended up gave away 80% of our Mai Tai cards. Feels like the hotel is not doing very well. They have high vacancy rate. So instead of improving the service, they try to cut other to make profit, such as meals, alcoholes. Will never use them again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Elaine L, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Aloha calanesth,
Thank you for selecting Sheraton Kauai for your accommodations in the islands and for reviewing your recent stay. We make note of all of our guests’ valuable feedback to further improve our services and were disappointed to learn of your negative experience with us. We apologize for the challenges you faced with regard to your bedding; in the future, please feel free to reach out to our housekeeping department, who can assist with making your bedding more suitable for your preferences. Your comments regarding the confusion of your breakfast inclusion have been sent to RumFire management for clarification, and your additional observations have been shared with our team so that we can continue to improve our guest experience. We look forward to the chance to be of service to you again.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I don't typically write reviews, but the staff of the Sheraton Kauai really impressed me from the moment we arrived at the property. We checked in with Betty and she was helpful, friendly, fast and just generally super accommodating. We upgraded to an ocean front room which was absolutely beautiful. She is truly made us feel the Aloha spirit and completely at ease.
From there, Burt took us to our room and also spent time showing us some great running routes from the hotel as well as giving us some history on the area. The guys at the pool were also helpful and even drew maps to local snorkel spots and a great spot for Poke.

The room was cleaned from top to bottom every day and the location can't be beat. Great value and a great stay. My one tip that I would have to give though is to skip the Luau on property. The food was poor and service mediocre. Overall, I'd also say to eat off property unless you are eating basic pool snacks(burgers, nachos) Expensive and not great. The fitness center is also a joke, so for a run or rent a bike.

As someone who has worked in food service and hospitality for years, I can't say enough good things about the staff. Truly a warm and welcoming group. Thanks for making my 40th b-day week a wonderful trip. Especially Betty at the front desk!

Room Tip: Try to get a ocean front room on a high floor. Well worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Puyallup, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent over a week at this resort. The location is along a beautiful stretch of beach. We booked two oceanfront deluxe rooms which had excellent views of the beach and enjoyed being able to hear the ocean. Unfortunately, the staff of this hotel let us down everytime we interacted with them.

Service Issues:

When we arrived at the front desk to check in we were "greeted" by a woman who said "yes?" Finding our rooms was a bit confusing and when I asked for clarification she replied "use the map I handed you."
One early afternoon while relaxing on chaise lounges by the pool we were told by the pool staff to get up as they were setting up for a luau. When I responded that it looked like there were no other chairs available...the guy said "so." With that he took our chairs and left us standing on the pool deck with all of our stuff and no chairs.
One day I asked the front desk if the hotel had a giftshop where I could buy a postcard. Her response "no." and turned around to do something else.
We rented a roll away bed for a few nights and called the front desk when it was no longer needed. We called twice actually to have it removed..no one showed up. The maid finally called someone to have it taken out as she knew we no longer needed it. When we checked out..we were charged for the rollaway for extra nights which it wasn't even there. Our bill was corrected without an apology.

Cleanliness:

Both of our rooms had three types of insects. There was lines of them coming in from the closets where the hvac units are, around the doors to adjoining rooms and on bathroom counters.

I dropped an item near the bed and was horrified when I picked it up. Under my bed was cobwebs, food wrappers, party cups and lots of dirt. Under the other beds were in a similar state.

Our sliding glass door was uncleaned when we arrived and never was cleaned.

Resort Fee:

The Sheraton charges you a mandatory resort fee of $30 per night. Whic includes Wi-Fi, parking and attendance of various activities. The activities failed to interest any of us. The wi-fi service was terrible (slow and constantly dropping in and out). The parking was a joke as the lots were getting filled up with cars from people just visiting the beach and not staying at the hotel.

I am not sure if the staff was overworked, tired, or just having a bad week when I was there as other reviewers had excellent experience while staying there. But, I think next time I am in Kauai I will try a different hotel.

The pool near the ocean is to cold. Very few people were using it and everyone who braved it was quick to say it is to cold.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an oceanfront...the views are great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Aloha coastsearcher,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort for your recent stay in the islands and for taking the time to review your experience during your week-long stay. We are pleased you enjoyed the views from your oceanfront rooms, but were very disappointed to read that your interactions with our staff did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer our warmest aloha to all of our guests, and we apologize that we fell short in your case. Regarding your room cleanliness, please reach out to us so we may ensure that the issues you pointed out have been addressed. Your comments have been shared with our team so that we can continue to improve our guests’ experience in the islands. We look forward to the chance of serving you again.
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent four nights at the St. Regis and three nights at the Sheraton to get a flavor of both sides of Kauai. St Regis is on the North Shore- my favorite for views, relaxing, kayaking and snorkeling. The Sheraton hotel on South Shore, my sons favorite. Sheraton has a perfect beach for playing in the waves and learning to surf. Our 7 yr old son liked using his boogie board in the waves. Took the hotel's free surf lessons in the pool with Julio (who was awesome and fun) to get a good start on practicing realistic turning in the ocean on the surf board. Then our 7 yr old did the kids private lessons $100 with Kauai Surf next to the hotel. They have $75 group lessons, but for kids best to have the private lessons since the groups got lost in crowd. Jason and Allen did a great job and he was up many times. We have surfed in Maui, but like how this has sand bottoms and good waves. Took the lei making which is part of the resort fee. Sign up early, opens at 8am, fills up fast. Self park is fairly easily on the East Side close to the hotel. First night is free valet. This hotel close to Napoli Coast boat tours, Kauai Coffee, Swinging bridge, Airport. The internet is pretty slow. I found using my cell phone with personal hotspot worked better - most carriers like Verizon let you sign up for a month and then cancel extra $10/mo. Worth it at this resort to have.

Room Tip: Do get a ocean view and 2nd floor or higher. Rooms 2215-2219 have ocean view but the bar roof block...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!