“Was just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Abbeville, South Carolina
“Was just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This a beautiful setting for the property in Poipu and the Lobby made it look really good and modern. The rooms in the part we stayed in was just ok. Bathrooms were very very small. The bed was not comfortable at all. It had a heavy comforter for the only cover and the bed seemed to slant your body back towards your head.They said we would have partial ocean view and that was if you went out the door and looked around the bush you could see a little strip of blue water. The pools were very nice. Food here is very very expensive. The construction was just about through and it didn't bother us but we would have liked to see the finished product. The people on the desk were very helpful with maps and directions.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side wing on the left from beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
elainele, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I have shared your feedback with our operations team and we will use your feedback in our daily briefings. If you would like to discuss your recent stay with a member of our team please contact guest services and ask to speak to the Manager on duty.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Polish first
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our stay at the Sheraton Kauai was wonderful, even during the construction. I can understand how some may have been bothered by that, but it didn't really phase us, not a lot of noise except the occassion beeping from a vehicle while at the pool.

We arrived in the afternoon and the staff were 100% helpful our whole staff. The valet guys gave us a really great reccommendation for dinner that first night. There is a grocery store in the nearby town that has a food shack that is SO good. Highly recommend everything there. Totally local, totally awesome.

We stayed in a Deluxe Garden View which looked out onto the gardens near the lobby and partially the street. If you looked off to the far right you could see the ocean. The room was very nice and the view was what I expected. In the Deluxe Garden you're really paying for a nicer room on the nicer side of the hotel, not the view. I almost kicked myself because we could have booked an oceanfront for very very little more. I would say go for it if you have the choice and the price difference is little (for us the difference would have been $100 total. I wish I had spent it).

The beach was very quiet and there weren't that many people, waves were great, definitely swimable. The pool was wonderful too! We were there during the biggest storm in a while and being crazy we decided we were already wet, let's sit in the hot tub! So we went to the pool and hot tub in the rain, we were practically the only ones there, it was great!

We went back the next two mornings and again, not that many people there.

The one thing I have to specifically comment on was we had a noise situation which was handled as wonderfully as could be by the staff. On the night of the torrential downpour, we were blessed with a group of literally SCREAMING teenage girls. At least 10-15 in one room. At first we thought they were college students because we could smell the alcohol. It turned out they were a softball team (very VERY poorly supervised softball team). The noise was bad for 30 minutes. We called the front desk. 10:00. Still bad. We heard security go up and reprimand. 10:30 we call again. I hear them get too loud and someone say shush and then a HUGE bout of laughter. Unacceptable. I went downstairs to complain. They called the coaches. I go back up stairs. 11:00. Even louder than before. No sign of coaches saying anything as we hung close to the door to make sure. They couldn't move us until the morning at first, but then after the 3rd time one of us went downstairs, they offered to move us to a Deluxe Garden Suite. She didn't want to offer it originally because its on the other side of the hotel, but we really didn't care and actually once we got there the suite was so beautiful we couldn't have been happier.

A++ to the staff for helping us get a good night's sleep and not have to deal with irresponsible adults and their irresponsible softball team.

Room Tip: Both sides of hotel are nice. Only one elevator in the garden side is currently working and the bro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
elainele, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Aloha,
Thank you for your positive review of our Resort. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort and enjoyed all that Kauai had to offer. It was nice to hear that our team was very accommodating and friendly especially when you needed it the most. Our team works exceptionally hard to ensure all of our guests feel special. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay on Kauai.
Henderson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed at the hotel between April 4, and April11 th. Was a little leery about the hotel because of the reviews. In fact I almost changed it to the Koa Kea last moment. Glad I didn't. There was absolutely no construction noise and the Rum Fire restaurant was open. They were still feeling their way around but we ate Easter Dinner Buffet there and it was really good. The restaurant was the nicest by far, furnishing and view wise in the area. We stayed on the 4th floor on the far right building with a deluxe ocean room and I cannot imagine a nicer view. The only thing I would strongly recommend is mosquito repellent if you leave the window open, they were viscous the first night. Overall was a great stay, BTW, we visited the Hyatt Kauai and it was way to large and crazy with kids. I felt that it was great for a large family that needed the "Disney" experience for not good for a couple.

Room Tip: Do not stay at garden rooms if possible, they are directly across the street from the property and y...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
elainele, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your positive review of our Resort. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort. I was also happy to hear that you did not change your accomodations and that you were able to enjoy the new restaurant and its ambiance. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay on Kauai.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I enjoyed the peacefulness of the Sheraton for my first trip to Kauai. The pace was much more laid back compared to resorts in Oahu and Maui. Had a garden view room. Nice flat screen TV. My wife would have liked more of the amenities in the room when we arrived (shower gel, mouthwash, etc.) but housekeeping was quick to provide everything we asked for. Had difficulty connecting our tablet to the wifi, but once we got in, it worked. King size bed was very comfortable. There was some major construction in other parts of the resort, but it didn't bother us. Beach access was also very easy. Had breakfast at their cafe one time. It was pricey, so we went to Starbucks the next day. Two shopping malls within very close driving distance.

Room Tip: Building 8000 faces a swimming pool with a small waterfall
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Staying here for a conference so I guess my expectations should have been modest, but come on, I booked an "ocean front" room which, as it turns out, is separated from the ocean by other buildings and a street. False Advertising. The elevator in my building is broken. I am surrounded by paved parking lots. There is a vague sense that there is a beach out there. Carpet everywhere is frayed. This does not feel even remotely like a luxury resort, or for that matter like a resort at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
elainele, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team and we will use your feedback in our daily briefings. If you would like to discuss your recent stay with a member of our team please contact guest services and ask to speak to the Manager on duty.
Again thank you for taking the time to post your feedback as it will assist us in our efforts to improve our services and product.

E. Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

March 18 - 25
We stayed in an Deluxe Ocean room - the ocean was so close LOVED the view it was awesome. The room was clean, spacious and had a good bed. The staff was so helpful and friendly, the house keeping ladies were the best. The beach was beautiful as was the entire island. We walked to the Poipu plaza had restaurants, shops, grocery store and entertainment. We went to a luau, grand canyon of the pacific, falls, lighthouse, Northern beaches, sunset dinner cruise with Captain Andy's. The snorkeling was great. This was are first time here and we can't wait to go back and yes we'd stay in the deluxe ocean front room at the Sheraton!

Room Tip: DELUXE OCEAN FRONT - quiet with lovely view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha,
Thank you for your positive review of our Resort. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort and enjoyed all that Kauai had to offer. It was nice to hear that our team was very accommodating and friendly. Our team works exceptionally hard to ensure all of our guests feel special. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay on Kauai.
Menlo Park, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We got a good deal on Expedia because I think the place is undergoing renovations for the Rum Fire restaurant. $900 per person including airfare from the Bay Area in CA, rental car and 4 nights in a deluxe ocean front room. I was traveling with a friend. We had booked in January for mid-March travel.

Things I liked:
1) Location. I really like Poipu Beach a lot. It's very close to the public beach park, which has great snorkeling a few feet into the water. We also saw a green sea turtle and two monk seals when we were there. This is my first time exploring Kauai so we drove all over the place, and Poipu was convenient enough since Kauai is like a circle with one main road clockwise going from North to West. Poipu is in the South. We didn't try walking anyplace, but it is relatively close that you could walk to the shops and restaurants.
2) View. With our Deluxe Oceanfront room, the view was nice. We were on the 2nd floor of the Ocean wing. That looks out at the rocky beach and ocean. We had a nice sunset view.
3) I thought we paid a fair price for the package deal. But see my complain regarding $26 resort fee below.

Things I didn't like:
1) Rooms were just okay. The photographs on the walls were not very interesting. The room was a bland pinkish beige.
2) Insects. It is the tropics and we had ants (don't leave any food out overnight) and a roach (that scared me in the middle night when I used the bathroom). I don't really blame the hotel that much because it is a tropical island, but I will say that this is my fifth time to Hawaii, and I have never seen ants or roaches in other hotels I've stayed at.
3) Service. Housekeeping tossed out my friends' soap bottle. She was mad because it was in a ketchup like bottle and could not easily have been mistaken for trash. However, they recovered it after we complained. Who knows where it had been or where they pulled it out of? They said they would comp us the ridiculous $26 daily resort fee for 2 nights, but when we checked out, they didn't. We had to complain again, and they did it.
4) The aforementioned $26 daily resort fee. This needs to be built into the price.
5) Lava's restaurant - drinks were fine. Food was bland even though I ordered the Korean bbq beef sandwich.
6) Towels system. You have to use these towel cards to get the towels. It's a bit inconvenient, but not a big deal.

I would not stay here again, but it was fine for my vacation. I still had a great vacation. Next time, I would consider staying in Princeville at the Westin or the condos that were right next to the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Definitely get the Deluxe Oceanfront as other travelers have suggested. The garden rooms look fine...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments of your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort. I am sharing your comments with our operational team this morning as it will assist us in our efforts to improve our services.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments and if you would like to speak to a member of our team directly please contact the resort directly and ask to speak to the Manager on duty.

Guest services

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!